The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:46 am 
Lava Boy

Favourite food: Varies
Machine type: AW16G
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! (Me screaming at the top of my lungs in frustration) :evil:

I never had any real problem assigning input channels to tracks for recording instrument but this issue has me completely exacerbated.

First my signal path:

Channels 3(L) and 4(R) are sent through Aux 1 & 2 respectively with each send maxed out (rotated full right)

Aux sends are routed directly to a stereo external effect directly

Effect return channels go to inputs 7 and 8

Inputs 7 & 8 are supposed to be routed internally to stereo track 15/16 with each input panned appropriately the way I have it set up

Monitoring enabled for 3,4 and 15/16

pretty basic set up supposedly

I have followed to the letter the directions both for Bus recording and Direct recording (pages 42-46) but once I get into either recording window and assign my inputs to tracks 15/16, no matter what I do both the input channel lights and the 15/16 stereo channel lights continue to blink. Even after I hold down the input button until I get the INPUT SETTING pop up window, choose my metering and signal path and back out they continue to blink red.

At this point I have no way to exit the Input or Bus menu without having to clear my selected parameters or choose SAFE which also clears out my selections. I have tried every way possible I can think of with the input menu to complete this process without clearing everything I just selected . The manual seems to indicate the red lights should stop blinking after I enter the INPUT SETTING pop up window and then exit but my outcome still doesn't change.

Somewhere I am missing a step not covered in the manual or Recording 101.

My ulcer and headache would appreciate any relief anyone can provide.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:02 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
The lights may be blinking, but is the machine doing what you want? The last channel butteons pushed are supposed to flash, if memory serves me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:23 am 
Lava Boy

I don't think the machine is doing what I want because I get no signal on the destination track. There is an outgoing signal showing up from the Aux send and the outboard unit is getting signal input according to the meters on the unit. I maxed out the return gain on the external unit to ensure my G should see some incoming signal.

The manual seems to imply once you have completed the correct steps the lights should no longer blink. This does seem to be a consistent pattern on the AW16G with most features. i.e. during input assignment to destination tracks all input and destination tracks with blink red until you make at least connection between one input and one recording destination track. As far as the G is concerned at this point you have successfully completed a signal path now to record at least one channel of input. Select one input and that input button stays on red (stops blinking) while all destination tracks continue to blink. After you select a destination track for the selected input both the input and destination track no longer blink and stay red.

If I remember right the remaining inputs and destination tracks all quit blinking at this point. When you select another track it blinks red until it is paired with an available destination track. Once a successful internal connection is completed between the two then those two quit blinking.

Regardless, after you have set connected an input and destination in the manner described in the manual; you cannot exit to ANY other screen with out resetting all the connections you are trying to make to a no connection clean slate. At this point you can either select "safe" within either the Bus mode or Direct mode which deletes the track assignment you just made OR you can try to enter another menu at which point you have to acknowledge you want to clear all your selections.

Since I have a "dry" (no external unit through the Aux sends/returns) version recorded, I kind of want to do this in Mix Down mode. The manual definitely indicates that you are supposed to be able to do this. What I haven't tried and just now occurred to me is to just enter "normal" tracking record mode and record the externally processed track to channels 15/16. As long as my dual Compressor/LImiter/Expander is working right I think that should work but I am too exhausted right now to try it out.

Unfortunately very shortly after I bought the unit on eBay many years ago, I ran into a long, tortuous but losing battle to keep my job and not end up on LTD. Although I hooked it up in my batch bay and played with it just a little to make sure it powered up and the meters responded to input and output signals I never really got to put it to use. Until now it has been sitting idle since 2007. My living space is so tight it is a major ordeal to run sends and returns through the patch pay and to the one effects rack I squeezed into the room so I haven't wanted to try sending signal through another unit for trouble shooting purposes. If I ever get my HUD refurbished so I can have my own place again I will be able to get behind gear and/or racks without having to be a contortionists standing on one foot and trying snake up cables to a patch bay. I had planned on doing it early but the space is too tight and too nerve wracking worrying dozens of other things on the same shelving unit don't go crashing onto the floor.

Sounds like everyone has retired their G and I have yet to have opportunity to put even 100 hours on it so far LOL. If my second approach doesn't work I just won't mess with it.

Thanks again Byron! You were a big help for explaining/confirming how to mix to the virtual stereo tracks. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:00 am 
Marker Magician

no time right now, but we should review your situation, perhaps tomorrow so we can determine where is the roadblock.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:31 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Hi Scooter. Sorry to hear you have problems. Did you also check pages 167 & 168 of the manual ? Is there a possibility to monitor the output of the eefect ? Plug it into a mixer to check that you really have an output from the effect. If the settings of the effect (amount or attenuation ... ) or the output is set wrong you will have no output signal from your effect. I'd also check that manual if you have one.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:17 pm 
Marker Magician

Here is another thought. If your Aux outs are dial up for the desired channels, but the Outputs are set to Stereo, rather than AUX out, you will never hear the Aux sends.

You have to assign the Stereo outs to be AUX outs. Maybe that is the problem here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:42 pm 
Lava Boy

Thanks Byron. My memory is so fuzzy or non existent since I was first coming to grasps with using the G.

I didn't remember there was even a menu option you had to select to pick one or the other. Hopefully I should be able to find the info in the manual. I bet you are right Byron!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:45 pm 
Marker Magician

The assignment of these Stereo/AUX outs is on a screen you access using one of those buttons near the View button. Above it I think. If you can't find it easily, let me know and i will fire up my 1600 to refresh my memory.