The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:40 pm 
City Slicker

Favourite food: bangers and mash
Today for some reason I can't record the stereo track. I hit the RECORD button in the QUICK NAVIGATE section, then keep pressing it until I've selected MIXDOWN. Then I cursor over and press ENTER to illuminate REC in the mixdown screen. The STEREO fader indicator blinks RED. Then I press RTZ to go to the beginning of the song. Then I hold down RECORD so that the red LED is illuminated and, while pressing it down, press PLAY. Once I take my finger off the RECORD button it reverts to PLAY and won't record the STEREO TRACK. I Checked the manual and Recording 101 and it seems as if I'm following the proper procedure. Any ideas?

Last edited by buduranus2 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:33 am 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
I vaguely remember seeing something happen like that way back. I thought that maybe your problem was because you hadn't selected any tracks for the mixdown. However, I just verified on my AW1600 that the mixdown operation takes place even w/o any tracks enabled.

Sorry, can't be of help. Maybe someone else will come along with the answer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:58 pm 
City Slicker

Thanks for your reply. It's very perplexing to me. When I have time, I'll create a "new song" then import the tracks and try to record the stereo track that way.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:21 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Have you tried to record in some other fashion, such as a single track (direct) or using several tracks going to a bus (bus recording)?

Not sure if this would make a difference but has somehow the RTZ point been altered from the "Start" marker?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:57 pm 
City Slicker

Thanks Byron. I've had no issues with DIRECT recording. Today I enabled the DIGITAL REC in the UTILITY screen but that didn't work. Same result when I set the STEREO TRACK to ON in the MONITOR screen. RTZ does, in fact, return to zero. Next I'll clear all the MARK points, as someone else suggested a potential anomaly with that. If that doesn't work I'll try to BOUNCE the tracks and see what happens.

Last edited by buduranus2 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:34 pm 
Marker Magician

What did you try to do with the digital record enabled? Correct me if i am wrong, but this utility is there to place a roadblock in the way of importing digital data from CD tracks. Are you able to import?

What machine are you working upon?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:41 pm 
City Slicker

Thanks again Byron. I'm using a 1600. Yes, I'm able to import from CD. The reason I enabled that again is because the rhythm track in question was imported from CD and I wanted to put some overdubs on. So I thought that by enabling the digital import maybe that would help. But it didn't. BTW, the other runes on my recorder behave fine. Very puzzling.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:01 am 
Marker Magician

so It is just this one song? Corrupt file then??? I have had a few of these over the years. I usually discover when trying to reinstall an archived song, I think. Fortunately it rarely happens.

are you still able to use the edit commands, using the cursor buttons and the enter key?

If the other songs work, try to export the files or work from a backup if you have one.

How is that you have songs 0n the machine after you formatted? Did you import backups or make new songs?

New thought, >>>> inspired by a re-read of your last message on the attempt to do over dubs, Is the song in question 24 bit?? If so you have access to only 8 tracks. If 1-8 are used then 9-16 are unavailable. so your record button would not work in that case. I am going out on a limb and predicting that to be the problem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:52 pm 
City Slicker

After having explored nearly every possible (and impossible) cause I realized that I had left the punch-in footswitch connected, which overrides the record function in every mode. Human error – ya gotta love it. Thanks especially to Byron and Ralph for taking an interest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:36 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
The classic "cockpit error". Glad you found it before you pulled out all your hair. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:53 pm 
Marker Magician

The fact that you only have 8 tracks available in 24 bit is "cockpit error" too.

However, my footswitch is always plugged in, and i don't get those symptoms ( I don't think). I will bench test my gear and report back. I have had footswitch issues before though.

Glad you found your issue. These machines are so reliable that when an anomaly occurs you have to suspect human error.