The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:28 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: BBQ
Machine type: AW1600
I do a bunch of recording of high school bands, orchestras and choirs. I use the Yamaha AW1600. Works great! O:)

Lately, once in a great great while, the AW1600 looks like it's recording but it records only silence. For example, I was recording several tunes of a wind ensemble in a single file when it recorded nothing for the first tune, but all the other recordings were beautiful as usual. Absolutely nothing changed in the setup. It just recorded every time but one.

When I dump the single file to the computer, just as you would expect, there was silence for one tune. All the others are good.

No, it doesn't always happen only to the first tune. No, I didn't hit the undo button. Yes, the record button was glowing red while recording. Yes, the meters were jumping around.

I really don't want to give up my Yamaha. But I do have a Mac laptop standing by. :(

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:48 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Hi There. Love Nashville. An easy 3 hour drive.

I couldn't really say why you're missing a recording. My first thought was the drive is maybe nearing it's capacity? If you haven't done so, archiving is good. But if you do that and still are having an issue, then . . . never mind.

Someone will come along who has done live recording and maybe will have some suggestions.

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:38 am 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

I've had similar things happen. I think it's related to doing something in the Monitor screen while recording is enabled. If you do go into the Monitor screen while recording is enabled, try re-establishing the recording path before continuing recording.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:22 am 
Marker Magician

I'd look at what Hogtime ( Ralph ) suggests may be a cause, but the problem is troublesome. I have had anything disappear only very rarely, but it has happened. I have had a recording running, I thought, with meters active only to notice half way through the first set of a choral program that I had not engaged the record button. Now i am very careful. You say this is not your problem though.

My disappearing files have related to edit points, i have come to believe. Have you checked to see if there is any wave display for the silent part? In my case ( it has happened a couple of times way back in my early days when i was more of a hunter and pecker on the machine) the sound disappeared from tracks that had been edited heavily. Robbie had the best thought, I felt< he suggested that overlapping (edit) start / stop points confused the machine. In my case when a track disappeared, if you stopped the playback and started it again, (usually) the lost track reappeared. this phenomena was consistently ongoing, until an earlier version of the track was sourced from a backup.

I wouldn't give up on the machine. Most computer based probs are a result of human error, but when there is failure it often severe. Intermittent failure is very unsettling. I am consistently pleased with the durability of these machines, but wonder what their lifespan will be.

Please keep us posted

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:14 am 
Lone Star

I recorded a choir tonight in Chattanooga. The AW1600 performed flawlessly. Go figure.

Thanks guys for responding!

> RZ: drive is maybe nearing it's capacity?

Nope. Plenty of room on the hard drive.

> Hogtime: doing something in the Monitor screen while recording is enabled.

Nope. Never changed the screen.

> Byron: I had not engaged the record button.

I've did this once when I first got the unit. Now I ALWAYS make sure the red light is on. In fact, I'm a bit OCD about it. :wink:

> Byron: any wave display for the silent part?

I dumped the file to a PC. The wav is there. It's just flat as a pancake.

I never edit or change files in the AW1600. Here's what I always do: 1) Record the concert, 2) Dump the file to the PC for Sound Forge.

I just found a firmware update on Yamaha.com. Maybe I should give this a try.

Thanks again for the comments everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:38 am 
Lone Star

I forgot to mention one other thing...

I have two AW1600's. Both have had the same issue. Isn't this odd.

Maybe I just need to do an update. :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:08 am 
Marker Magician

the firmware update is likely going to add a MERGE utility to the EDIT list. This will make a complete track out of one that has gaps, due to editing or spot tracking of background vox etc. This won't help your issue. I too have done a fair bit of choir, choral, orchestra recording, with many tracks running, but I have never had happen what you describe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:09 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Glad you got it working. I don't know about the 1600, but sometimes on my 2400 some of my tracks will mute themselves. Never quite understood why anymore than I wonder why the sky is blue (I can get that answer). So not sure either. But the fact that it works and that you have two is certainly a good thing.

rz-land