The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:57 pm 
Boot Polisher

Favourite food: STEAK
Machine type: AW16G
Never really tried inserting effects on a recorded track before: until now.
I cant seem to get the same effect on more than one track (eff 1 reverb for example)
Is it just me or can this not be done?
Cheers in advance
Les

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:48 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
From what I remember, and I`m not at my AW1600 desk,
Select the track you want to apply fx.
Press effect button till your on the library page.
Scroll to fx you want and select recall.
Go to send page and turn the dial for the amount of effect.
You can also add the same effect to the other tracks and turn the dials to the amount of effect you want.
Do the same as above for Effect 2.
You can only have the same 2 effects on each track.
The AW16G can`t be that much different from mine, if it is sorry for giving you duff info. :)
Good luck.

T.

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GETYJUJKu0

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:35 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
If I'm understanding, you want to permanently insert an effect to a track. If so, press the track button and select the track you want effected. Press view and scroll to library. Choose which effect you want. Then under recall, find the effect. I'm not real sure if I am telling you this correctly. But I seem to recall that's how I did it once many years ago.

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:40 pm 
Marker Magician

I do believe you should be able to insert the same effect into the chains of two different tracks, although I must admit I have never done this on a G. On the 2400 it is possible, if memory serves correctly.

If you are new to inserting effects directly into chains, one of the "must know" pieces is - how to set the mix balance. this is done on the very last line of the EFF Edit pages. If you have never done much parameter exploration on your machine you might think that the first screen you see when you go to EFF Edit is all that is available, but there are 1 or 2 more screens available when you cursor down to the bottom of the page. At the end is the mix balance. Somewhere around 10% - 20% is often enough. 100% of a reverb, directly inserted in a chain is very "cave-like".

filters and EQ are also useful in adjusting how your EFF will sound. If you raise the Frequency of the HPF then you are able to/must increase the mix balance % of the EFF as the long-waved low frequencies are filtered out. the higher frequencies add less perception of "echo" , but (often) increase the "sparkle", if they are gently controlled.

To be honest, rather than insert an effect directly into a track's chain I often use the Send/Return bus upon a single track. This is because the Return is in stereo, so i can pan, and so can place the "sparkle' away from the track from which it comes. When a track is inserted it becomes part of the mono chain of the individual track ( this is my understanding at least). both applications have their place and time. If you want a verb, but want it less "spacey", go the insert route, -> bus record it to another track and then use that 'Effected' track in the mix, freeing up the EFF bus for utilization upon some other aspect of the final product. Of course, once bus recorded the track is printed with the effect and then "is what it is".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:57 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I would think the main reason to use an inserted effect is for using one of the guitar sims. But I could see how permanently sticking a really cool effect on a vocal would be nice. Then again, once it's there . . . . it's there.

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:44 pm 
Boot Polisher

Thanks for your help
I l've managed to do it i think
I'm just not sure how!
Cheers
Les

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:17 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
RESROCKS wrote:
Never really tried inserting effects on a recorded track before: until now.
I cant seem to get the same effect on more than one track (eff 1 reverb for example)
Is it just me or can this not be done?
Cheers in advance
Les

I think Les just wanted to add an effect to an already recorded track.

T.

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GETYJUJKu0

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:06 pm 
Boot Polisher

Spot on T Mac!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:58 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Byron wrote:
To be honest, rather than insert an effect directly into a track's chain I often use the Send/Return bus upon a single track. This is because the Return is in stereo, so i can pan, and so can place the "sparkle' away from the track from which it comes.

Byron,

How do you pan an effect away from its source? I've seen mention of this on other posts but I've never done it; I just send varying amouonts of a track to Eff 1 or Eff 2.

Thanks, Randy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:44 am 
Has Been To Cheeseland

I'm not sure you can pan an inserted effect away from the track because it is in line with the track. I know you can when you use the effect in send mode. Either way, you press the effects knob until you get to the effect edit screen and scroll down. The pan control should be there somewhere, I think toward the bottom of the edit menu.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:14 am 
Marker Magician

Yes as Jm said and as i mentioned in a previous post the EFF, when used in the send Return mode can be panned where you want it. Go to the very bottom of the EFF EDIT screen and cursor down again. a new screen appears with more adjustable parameters. I think there is usually another screen below this (depends on the chosen EFF). the very bottom lines are useful. Pan is there.

If you look above, on the middle screen probably, there are filter controls. If you set the HPF (High Pass Filter) to a number in the high hundreds or into the thousands, lower frequencies are filtered out while higher frequencies pass thru (HPF). so now the effect will only act upon those higher frequencies. this will leave the lower fundamental frequencies dry, but allow effect of the higher notes and the harmonics. this is what is sent back to the stereo bus on the return channel from the effect. This return can be panned, as described above. I have used this on delay effects for lead guitar for e.g. -- Witht he the lead track panned hard to the right, some sparkle can be derived by having some delayed or reverberated signal appear on the other side of the stereo field, but just the higher frequencies, in this example.

Another use of these pan controls is to control the "wideness" of the return, by moving both L&R pan controls towards the center equally, or by placing them equally on either side of the pan placement of the track from which they are derived.

Yet another little thing with which to experiment is to set the send to be prefader, then pull the fader of the track you are effecting all the way down. Now the verb or the delayed signal will be in the mix via the return, but the main track is missing. you can make verb "wash" to lay underneath, or you can raise the track fader as much as you want to achieve the dry/wash mix balance you want.

As JM said, pan of the effect does not occur in insert mode as the effect is put within the chain of a mono track, and is getting to the stereo bus this way, rather than through a stereo return channel.

If this is not clear, don't be afraid to ask further questions, until you get to the aha moment. You can sometimes really help a mix with such technique, but you will begin to understand the impact of the "clutter" you sometimes create.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:32 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Now this is a sterling example of how the aw16g's manual is so lacking and how essential this forum is to anyone attempting to learn how to use the unit at its full potential. There's a tremendous amount of useful intel in your post that I will try out immediately and hopefully incorporate into my working knowledge of the g (big assumption of a-ha! moment occurring, heh).

Thanks a mil, Brother Byron!

Randy