The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:36 pm 
City Slicker

Favourite food: pizza
Machine type: AW16G
Hi, thanks for reading here.

This Saturday, I would like to record my classic rock trio and have the 2 vocals and 4 instrument mics all on separate tracks. Unfortunately, the bands mixer is not able to send individual channels out to my AW16g so, what I want to do just for this gig is to send all the vocals instruments directly to the AW16g, and then use the Main stereo out or AUX out to send to the PA mixer.

My question is, how would you configure the AW16g so you can both set good levels to the tracks for recording and also set the mix to the PA independently from the track levels? I figured I would set the levels as I always have, and then use the AUX out sends as the way to set the levels going to the PA mixer. Does that sound like a good way or would you do something different?

I have out board preamps and all the necessary cables to go direct to the machine for the best possible recording signal, I just want to make sure I'm using the best approach I can to also have control the volumes going to the PA mixer.

thanks for your time!

Phil Donovan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:36 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
set up your feeds from the stage. Get your levels on these inputs. apply any gates or compressors of which you may wish to take advantage. Make a scene and also take note of the position of each input, just in case you have to reset.

Arm the machine to record, ie. define which input goes to which track.

Press play/record. Now everything you hear will be coming from the tracks, post recording. This means you can do whatever to what you are monitoring, without affecting the data that gets recorded. Send the signal from either the monitor outs or the stereo outs. The stereo outs are line level, while the monitor outs will be affected by the volume pot. Both thes outs are controlled by the Red fader of the Stereo bus. Moving the red fader will not affect what is being recorded.

Use the Aux out to send a monitor mix(s) to the amp dedicated for your stage monitor. If you do this you will have to use the monitor outs for your mains, as the the stereo outs double as Aux outs, as you designate.

In this application, the recorder must be running for you to actually test what will happen during the performance. So, once your sound check is completed, press the undo button, to eliminate all the data from the sound check, update your scene to record any tweeks you may have made to the inputs, but also to record the settings you have made on the track side of the machine whilst setting up your Front Of House and your monitor feeds.

Remember the tracks must be armed and the recorder running and that scenes do not record input>track assignments. So if these get broken for any reason or if you are setting up a new song, using the scene you created the arming of input>track must be set up manually.

During the performance, try to remember to hit the marker button at appropriate times between songs. This will save you loads of "real time" later.

Ask further if i have confused you. I have done what you are trying often.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:18 am 
City Slicker

Thank you Byron for that well detailed description.

I set up a "faux" set up tonight and used my active monitors as a pretend PA. Since we aren't using monitors, I tried just using the AUX out to the PA. Since we are a trio in a small club, we get to keep it simple. However, my questions were, 1. Whats the difference between using the Input Aux sends, and the track Aux sends? I found it strange that the Input Aux sends allowed you to choose pre or post fader. I thought inputs were always pre fader by definition (Inputs are the first thing). and, question #2. If I use the Input Aux as the PA send, then shouldn't things remain the same whether I'm in play, record or stop?. We only planned to record the 2nd set with our best material, and just use the AW16g as a mixer for the 1st and 2nd set. I hope you can let me know if I'm in for any rough surprises!

Thank you Byron,

Phil

City Slicker

I set up a "faux" set up tonight and used my active monitors as a pretend PA. Since we aren't using monitors, I tried just using the AUX out to the PA. Since we are a trio in a small club, we get to keep it simple. However, my questions were, 1. Whats the difference between using the Input Aux sends, and the track Aux sends? I found it strange that the Input Aux sends allowed you to choose pre or post fader. I thought inputs were always pre fader by definition (Inputs are the first thing). and, question #2. If I use the Input Aux as the PA send, then shouldn't things remain the same whether I'm in play, record or stop?. We only planned to record the 2nd set with our best material, and just use the AW16g as a mixer for the 1st and 2nd set. I hope you can let me know if I'm in for any rough surprises!

Thank you Byron,

Phil

Last edited by pjd3 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

City Slicker

Thank you Byron,

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:48 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I sent you a PM, so look up in the to left corner for the "new Message"