The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Built in preamps
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:41 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Pizza
Machine type: AW2400
Here's another display of my unfamiliarity with the unit and recording in general: Do the Line inputs on the AW2400 bypass the built in preamps?

Post subject: Re: Built in preamps
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:00 pm 
Marker Magician

No they don't. You can avoid having the on board pre's in your chain on inputs 1 and 2. do this by using the insert jack. Put your patch cord in but only engage it to the first click. this engages the "return' from the Insert's send/return. Plug your gear into an external pre and then put your patch into the unit's output and you will get around the Aw's onboard pre.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:23 pm 
Greenhorn

Thanks Byron. In your experience with external preamps, is this something that's worth pursuing soundwise, or do you typically go straight out of your external preamp into a regular mic/line input?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:50 am 
Marker Magician

An external pre can be used as the input source, and then if that signal needs a little boost the AW internal pre can give that little boost, if necessary. If you have a really good pre, then you can bypass the internal pre on the 2400, as i described. but generally, sending the external pre into a regular input works quite well. you just have to understand the need for gain staging.

Another way on the 2400 is to put a card with ADAT input into the slot . then you can use the input slots to recieve digital signal to the AW from AD converters of an external pre unit. Many are available with such capacity, to send 8 signals. Presonus makes a couple of versions of such a unit, as did M-Audio, which is the unit I use. This config makes 16 inputs available, and although you can only monitor 12 of them at any one time (at 16 bit), the other 4 can be utilized for ambient mics that need not go into the mix for Front of House, when you are recording a live event.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:00 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I use an external tube preamp with my 2400, but for mic's only. The stereo pair goes from the preamp out in to 1 & 2 of the 2400. Because I have been using a dynamic mic in order the keep from recording my wife downstairs on the other side of the house clicking her knitting needles, the preamp is necessary. My condenser mic picked up everything. It now resides respectfully in the closet.

However, my guitar Pod X3 has it's own preamps so it goes direct in as do my keyboards. Although now that I think about it, I do run the Pod and two keyboard through a small Yammie mixer. I have all kinds of ways to get proper signals.

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:12 pm 
Greenhorn

Thanks for the input Guys.

I hadn't even thought of the capabilities with a card in the slot. I'm guessing you have that option covered with your Waves card Byron. I know I'm splitting hairs, and have much more work to do on the fundamentals ... just trying to understand and get the best out of the gear. BTW, no Grammy aspirations for me. Strictly an amateur ... and I know it!