The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Reamping a Guitar Track
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:32 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Pizza
Machine type: AW2400
I know I'm guilty of getting ahead of myself, but I read about these cool ideas and it makes me curious. Thanks to this forum and some other noodling around, I think I have my head wrapped around the reamping idea and the potential problems (phasing, latency) and opportunities (free you up to tweak until your heart's content) it can create. The manual seems pretty straight forward for patching tracks via an AUX bus to one of the the OMNI outs. But as a newbie, sometimes this balanced vs. unbalanced thing makes my head hurt. That'ss where I'm getting hung up. On the AW, the OMNI outs are unbalanced, and it seems like all the reamp boxes want balanced inputs.

Would you: take the 1/4" unbalanced omni out from the back of the AW, into a DI box, then from the DI box out to the reamp box? Or, I've seen what seems like legitimate advice on how to modify a balanced cable (or buy a purpose made one) that is wired to be unbalanced on one end and balanced on the other, to go straight from the AW into the reamping device?

Interested in your thoughts and experiences.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:44 am 
Marker Magician

I wouldn't worry about the balanced /unbalanced issue. As long as you keep the cable runs relatively short, there is not to much worry about signal loss or interference. Just be cautious about the level of signal you send, until you get a feel for what the amp is looking for, to deliver the sound you seek.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:37 pm 
Greenhorn

Thanks Byron. I believe I owe you more than one of your favorite adult beverages. Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:34 pm 
Footswitch Genius

Favourite food: Jarlsberg
Machine type: AW16G
the balanced-line thing works on the same principle that humbuckers do - the signal is split in half, and one half gets inverted. at the other end of the line the inverted half is inverted once again to its original phase, and then added back with its other half, giving you the whole 100% signal level.

however any noise introduced into the lines is now 180 degrees out of phase, cancelling itself out

given the choice i would try to match the types correctly e.g. by using the DI option previously mentioned, because the signal loss from using unbalanced leads in balanced sockets can be quite noticeable

if it's jacks-to-XLR leads you're using, earthing pin 3 on the XLR* will give you a proper unbalanced lead with no signal loss (*you might want to google that and confirm but i think it's correct)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:38 pm 
Greenhorn

Thanks for the input Clive. From what I've read, you do as you say re: the earthing, but do it on the unbalanced side to help maintain some of the noise cancelling properties of the balanced cable. DI box may be way to go if you don't want to futz with making up a special cord.

Here's the article: http://www.tfwm.com/TFWM-Audio-Newslett ... ay-Rayburn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:30 pm 
Marker Magician

Yes, but if the cable lengths are minimized, and you avoid laying the cable near power cords etc., you should not encounter problems with the unbalanced cables. Off course if you are in hot pursuit of a Grammy, maximize your chances by doing everything right, but ... they only give out so many Grammies a year and they pass me over every year! I would try your set up and see what happens. No need to worry about noise, if it is not presenting as a problem. Certainly if there is a problem look for the solution. but there is no need to sweat it. Your gear will not be harmed using the unbalanced cables.