The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:07 am 
Imperator

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Machine type: AW16G
Well, I wasn't sure just how to title this thread, but basically, I have a keyboard playing friend who lives two thousand miles away and has no recording equipment. He's really good at producing various pads as well as straight keyboiards, and he can solo like a moogly voober. He was in town at a gig we both sat in on, and I asked him about doing keys and brass pads for some of my originals. He said he had Garage Band and Band In A Box on his Mac.

Now, I don't know anything about these apps. Is it possible for him to import my .wav, .cda. or .mp3 file into one of his apps, and then have him record a track which I can import into the aw16g? In terms of midi, can he produce a file that I can then run through a local recordist's superior sound patches (I'm thinking brass here mainly, but actually my friend, who can afford the best sound module currently in production, typically gigs through some box with truly cheesy patches. He doesn't care; he says that tunes are just "vehicles to get to my licks", haha)?

How can I get his keyboard tracks into the G, when the only tools he has are those Mac applications?

Thanks, Randy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:21 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Hi Randy,

The application that your friend uses needs to have the ability to multitrack/overdub. That means he can import your sound files into that application, and play them back while he plays along which gets recorded on a separate track.

Having separate tracks, he can export the track he recorded to wav and send it to you. I would avoid using mp3 if possible. Apart from the sound quality, this might introduce timing problems.

Hope this helps a bit.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:52 pm 
Imperator

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Hi Robbie,

I did some research on those Mac applications, and it appears that you can export .wav files from Garage Band, with some effort and an instruction sheet (Garage Band is intend for Macs, and doesn't directly export anything but proprietary files; you have to fool it into giving up a file that you can use on the G). I may ask my buddy in Florida to give this a try.

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:00 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Hi Urbando,

I have checked my copy of Garageband and i am able to export a song as either AAC or MP3 in different Qualities. I could show you a screenshot but it would be in dutch. I guess the menu item is called share in English. You could use audacity to transfer this into a wav file. (a little loss via MP3 but with a high bit rate mp3 you should not really notice if your levels are correct) So if Garage badn can do it ...

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:37 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: bacon
Machine type: AW2400
Probably a little late, but Fordirk is correct in that you can export Mac AIF files from GarageBand from the share menu using the export song to disk command. If you want to export a single track then simply mute all the others before doing it. I also use Audacity to import the AIC file then export it as a WAV file. If you want it as a mono track then use the split stereo track option in Audacity to make it two mono tracks then delete one of them before exporting. I've just looked at my version of itunes (ver 11.0.5) which can also create a WAV file from the AIC version by changing the import settings under preferences to WAV then selection the song in itunes with the CTRL key held down and choosing create WAV version.