The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Project stalled
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:03 pm 
Imperator

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Machine type: AW16G
Guys,

I'm getting frustrated, as I've tracked seven new tunes that I like, but can't seem to get my bass player and my vocalist over to record their finishing tracks. My bass player cares for his ailing mother, who lives with his family, and can rarely make it out in the evenings, save for once a week for his gigging band. I have other friends who play bass competently, but I really want this one player's tracks.

I put guide vox on my tunes, but I can't sing well enough (trust me on this) to do the actual recordings. I've got a good singer willing to record, but we just can't seem to schedule the time. In other words - I'm stalled.

To add insult to injury, I visited a mega-supermarket this past weekend and circled their enormous cheese department several times like a Lesser Yellow-Headed Vulture circling a Cape Buffalo carcass on the Zambian veldt (gives you an idea about my lyric-writing style, haha), without scoring any partcular compelling cheeses.

I want to do some final mixes and post some tunes here, but I just can't seem to make it through the recording sessions. I suppose that this can happen for a hobbyist recordist without a regular band. On the positive side, I'm going to join a band and do some bar gigs as their guitarist is going off on a Canadian tour.

Hope nobody in central Europe is experiencing any flooding . . .

Randy

Post subject: Re: Project stalled
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:20 pm 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Machine type: AW1600
The alternative is to send stuff to them and let them do it at home. They can download a program like Audacity for free...load it up on their computer, plug into their soundcard with their bass and knock it out for you at their leisure. If they have anyway to record at their house, it's probably the way for you to go. I actually end up with better tracks like this because they have time to fiddle around with stuff and play the stuff with no time constraints. The drawback is, you get what you get as far as the quality of their bass sound etc...

I'd be happy to lay some bass for you too if you need.

Another option is to throw on some keyboard bass while you're working on it and mixing and stuff, and then just get real bass on it when the opportunity presents itself. Pretty much any keyboard these days will give you a passable bass sound.

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:19 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Get well soon! :P

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:01 pm 
Imperator

Beer,

Thanks for the kind offer! I actually have an old Ibanez bass in the corner and have recorded bass tracks on the G before, but I'm like most guitar players - a lousy bassist. I'll eventually get these guys over to my house (they have no recording capability in their homes) and finish the recording sessions for these tunes. My son-in-law is coming for a visit this weekend and I'm going to try and get him to record some squeezebox on one of my tunes.

Since my effort is simply a project recording of original music, I am using a drum machine and a J-Station and building most of the tracks up myself. I am contemplating pulling out my ancient analog synth and trying to record some brass for a latin number, but I have neither the keyboard facility or the brass arranging skills to pull it off successfully. I guess the frustration arises in fairly rapidly getting most of a tune's tracks recorded, only to languish in a 70% finished state for weeks. I must learn patience . .

Randy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:32 pm 
Imperator

OK, my daughter and son-in-law came to town over the weekend, and Jim and I recorded a concertina track. Then I asked him if he wanted to give the vocal a shot, and he did a fine job.

But it was pretty funny, because I didn't realize the concertina had no black keys; my tune is in A, and he' s stuck with C (he is not actually a concertina or accordion player, just came across this squeezebox by chance). So he only had a few notes that would fit! Well, we recorded them as ambiance, but my idea of using the concertina to lay down a solo was scotched; I'll have to record some guitar in there.

Then the track will be "finished" (though I imagine that Jim could improve upon his vocal if he sang it for a while). We spent just a couple of hours laying down these tracks in my kitchen studio while my daughter was out shopping. I'd like to post if for you guys and get your feedback. What do you recommend as a music hosting site? I won't use any social media.

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:01 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Randy, on this forum is a "file exchange" section. You can attach files to a post there. Let me know if you run into any trouble.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:21 am 
Imperator

Hi Robbie,

I looked around, but can't find a "file exchange section"; can you direct me to it?

Thanks, Randy

EDIT: Found it, tune now posted in FIle Exchange