The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:21 pm 
Imperator

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Machine type: AW16G
I’ve got a song in an upbeat, Latin style which comes to a stop at the end, with the vocal singing the last line in slow free time. This is certainly a standard gimmick in pop music – nothing too original here. Presuming that the vocal will be recorded after most of the other tracks are recorded, how does one go about synching this on the G? For instance:

When programming my drum track (Boss DR-880), I could insert an estimated rest (several bars) space for the vocal line, then hi-hat/count in for the big finale and finish out the tune. Then, when it comes time to lay the vocal down, let the vocalist monitor the mix while singing per usual, and then mute the mix when it comes to his free time line. Then go back in and use the Edit/Move function to move all of the tracks forward (or back) to synch with the vocal’s free time? Use Edit/Time Comp/Exp? I’ve never done any of these editing operations on the G before.

Or maybe just record my drum track with PLENTY of space, (i.e., far more than I need) at the end, then count in the finale section. After recording the vocal track, go back and edit all of the post-free time tracks so that they kick in where they should after the vocalist’s line.
What do you think would be the easiest way to accomplish this?

Thanks, Randy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:06 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Hi Randy,

I think all you need is a click track or maybe just a high hat that continues while all other are quiet. That way the singer has something to guide during the vocal solo. Afterwards you can delete the bars where you want to hear only the solo voice or even silebce the click track all together for final mix. The click track would be essential if you decide to go with a high hat sound where you erase a couple of bars later. If everyone plays in synch with the click you can read out what bars you need to delete and use the edit functions to remove from bar/beat to bar/beat. Do this one step at the time and don't forget to use the undo button if you make a mistake. You could also export to a pc and edit out the section there.

Good luck.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:33 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Sounds like a simple edit. Build your drumtrack. turn it off during the last part of the vocal tracking. Move the piece on the track that is the outro to the proper time or bar, (as you have chosen to meter), using a staightforward edit > Move

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:56 am 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Machine type: AW1600
Hmmmm....
If I'm reading his post right, a straight click doesn't seem to be the answer as the vocal is "Ritardando"... or slowing. I think the move might be to set tempos equal...have like a four click intro and make sure the vocal starts right on a measure, mute everything, play a reference note for pitch...then do the ritardando. Now the vocal starts exactly on a measure and can end whenever it wants... align using the first sound of the vocal part to line up on a measure???

But what I don't follow is why he can't just sing to the mix and slow himself down however he wants? I'm missing something in the equation.

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:28 pm 

'slow free time' does not sound like ritartando to me. It could be just half the beat time. It would be easier if we knew exactly what is expected.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:12 pm 
Imperator

Hey Guys!

Beer is closest, but I know that I explained this poorly. The problem lies in the fact that the acapella vocal part is of indeterminate length. I just can't think of an example of a standard pop tune that uses this gimmick (you've all heard it before). But it's like a contemporary blues song, where the band might grind to the final V chord, then Robert Plant (insert vocalist's name here) moans and groans and ad libs the final line. On stage, the drummer or guitarist kicks the band back for the final chord/crescendo. Setting up Robert Plant ahead of time with a "you got exactly two bars, Bob, now make me cry" would be tough for the singer.

I'm using a drum machine for this tune, and I won't be the vocalist. Now I can try estimating the interval of that free-time vocal line, but I think it would be constraining for a singer to improvise over a set time period, say quarter-note hi-hat for two bars; I want the singer to feel his way through the phrasing and timing of that last line.

So if I can't time it ahead of time, and therefore can't mark the interval of silence with a metronome or hi-hat, I'm going to have to just leave some space (greater than I know I need), and then complete the rhythm tracks. After the vocalist records his track, I'll have to go in and edit all of the rhythm tracks, post the acapella line, and move them back so that they come in at the end of the vocalist's line.

I just figured that you guys would know of the best way to accomplish this, or at least the easiest way. Of course, I could just change my song and drop the acapella line, but I don't want to do that, haha! Thanks for your input.

Randy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:36 pm 
Imperator

Just thought of an example, but it's an old tune. In "Undun" by the Guess Who, Burton Cummings sings the final line in free time, acapella: "she's come . . . un-du-ah-uh-un", before the backing track rejoins him. Now I'm not sure, that interval might have been pre-set at two bars, or whatever, and they might have rehearsed it in the studio before the band recorded the rhythm tracks with his scratch vocal. But that was in the mystical time before drum machines, the aw16g, and amateur recording engineers like yours truly.

Cioa, Randy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:07 pm 

Hi Randy,

I think you just need to record the song and have the musicians do a one measure break. With the move functions you can move the last part to the back by a 100 measures if need be or by a number of minutes, seconds and milliseconds. Then let the vocalist do her thing and put a marker where she stops. Next move the part you moved to the back forward again to the marker. Problem solved.

The other possibility is to just do a live recording of the entire session.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:32 pm 
Imperator

Hi fordirk!

That sounds like a good procedure. Thanks for the tip to use markers (something else I've never tried on the G). You make it sound simple enough that I'm not going to hesitate to give it a try.

Eventually, I will post the recording on the forum and we'll all have a laugh . . .

Thanks to everyone for the help; this is such a great forum!

Randy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:51 pm 

You are very welcome Randy. Sorry about the typos. It seems my typing get's worse with less sleep.