The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:07 pm 
Imperator

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Machine type: AW16G
So I have a drum track on Dr. Rhythm which changes tempo to 3/4 time at the end of a bluesy tune, i.e. it slows from something like 110 bpm to 80 bpm for a few bars at the end of the song. These tempo changes are built into the DR-880's song sequencer. I'd like to use midi synch to trigger playback of the drum machine - using the G as the master and the Boss as the slave, but then the tempo is determined by what is set up in the SONG menu of the G - my tempo change at the end of the tune doesn't happen.

If I bone up on the tempo map I imagine that I can probably figure out how to effect the tempo change, but is there an easier way? If I switch the DR-880 to be the master and the G to be the slave, will that override the tempo setting in the G?

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:36 pm 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
urbando1 wrote:
? If I switch the DR-880 to be the master and the G to be the slave, will that override the tempo setting in the G?

Randy

Yes, if the DR-880 transmits MTC that ought to work. I don't think the G clocks to incoming MIDI clock.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:45 pm 
Imperator

cda, should I just hit "play" on the DR-880? Not knowing much of anything about midi, how will the G know to start recording when the midi signal from the DR-880 hits it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:48 pm 
Wrangler

Not near my G at the moment, but if you have connected MIDI cables correctly and set the G to slave and press record (might be record and play - can't recall) the record button will flash, meaning it's waiting. Then press play on the drum machine and off it will go. This is from memory, if you have any problems, reply, and we'll see what we can do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:35 pm 
Imperator

Well, the G didn't kick into record mode when I started the DR-880 as master, so I recorded the track without using midi. I'll have to get the manual out and figure out the tempo map procedure if I want to do this in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:29 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I am not a midi guru, but i have used midi to connect two devices on a few occasions. IMO, With proper configuration there should be a way to make happen what you want. Keep at it and you will be able to use your rhythm machine on your next project.

Not sure how your drum machine allows you to slow tempo, but on the G's tempo map the change would be instantaneous and steady, at the new tempo. to achieve a gradual slowing of tempo, to create an outro (if that is what you want), you will need to do successive tempo map reconfigurement, with the period in-between being short enough so as to not create a stepped effect. There is not a way to "dial-down" tempo on the AW. Can you "dial down" tempo using the drum machine, or is it too a stepped process?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:58 pm 
Imperator

Byron,

My drum machine stores patterns, which one may build into songs. The patterns are tweakable, and tempo is one of the parameters. So an abrupt tempo change (with a full stop occurring berfore it, as in my ditty) is easy to program into the drum machine. I know that I can also easily control this kind of tempo change with the tempo map, but I need to learn how to do it. For this project, I just hit the G's record/play buttons, and then hit "start" on the drum machine. Not being midi-synched, I won't be able to go back and effortlessly re-record the drum track if I decide to make changes after recording other tracks.

Bottom line is that I should learn how to control this with the G's tools instead of looking for a midi shortcut. I think that you could do a clumsy, hit-or-miss "dial down" with my drum machine, and believe I did this once on an older unit I have, but it'd be pretty random. Still, it's a lot easier than micing a kit, and you don't have to help the drummer carry all of that hardware into your recording space. :wink:

I'm thinking of stopping by and seeing some friends play tonight, but I was warned "don't get to the club too early or you'll end up helping Paul load in his stuff".

Randy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:01 am 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Machine type: AW1600
I think MTC should work. The only thing I find is that sometimes it takes a measure or two to really dial in the sync. So there has to be a receive MTC check box or something somewhere, and the drum machine should have it turned on too. It should read the tempo of the song without a lot of mapping, if any. On my keys, the tempo does have to be set independently on both machines though if I remember right. Regular midi clock, sets tempo automatically. But I think someone just said the yammy won't do midi clock? That seems odd, but I'm no yammy expert. Not even close!

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:00 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I know the 1600 does both midi and mtc. Not at my machine now so can't be more specific, but I seem to recall it is on or near the page where you designate master- slave. I'll look when back at my desk.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:29 pm 
Loves Pamela's aw16G spot

Favourite food: chinese
I got the 770 I've never tried that ....interesting for certain tunes

If you wish to avoid seeing a fool you must first break your mirror".............Francois Rabelais

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:37 pm 
Wrangler

Beerosaur wrote:
But I think someone just said the yammy won't do midi clock? That seems odd

-= Beer

Hey Beero! The g will transmit clock, but it won't recognise it. I've never been able to make it do so, anyway. And looking at the MIDI implementation chart, it says that clock is not recognised (if I'm reading it correctly). In an area at the bottom of the chart called "notes" though, it says "MTC quarter frame message is recognised (when in MTC sync mode)". I think that in English, that means it recognises MTC.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:06 pm 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Machine type: AW1600
Weird they didn't make it receive midi clock...

This guy seems to be looking at the same issue and getting about the same answers..
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct05/a ... 1005_7.htm

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:15 pm 
Wrangler

It's a real pain that it won't clock to incoming MIDI. I need to get a box of some kind that'll take MIDI clock and turn it into MTC. All that kind of thing is a mystery to me, but it'll come in handy for the future, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:25 pm 
Imperator

RavenMadd wrote:
I got the 770 I've never tried that ....interesting for certain tunes

I've got a DR-770 too. The internal battery is now so low that I can't use the unit without replacing it. Apparently you have to take a PCB board out to access this battery . . .

I bought the 880 for its sounds, which are a cut above those in the 770, but I could program patterns much more easily on the 770; really user-friendly for that. The 880 has a lot of features I don't use, e.g. bass patterns, guitar amp emulations, etc.