The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:42 pm 
City Slicker

Favourite food: chocolate
Hi again,

I have a Yamaha Motif and Yamaha SY55 in my set up. Both synths have "Output L/Mono R" so that two cables can be connected to the AW16G. I guess this is so you can record your synth tracks in stereo and pan them accordingly.

Is there any disadvantage in simply using one output/AW16G per synth via the "L/Mono" outputs from the synths. I ask because I only have two leads, but want to have the option to record the synths simultaneously.

Many thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:26 pm 
Muse-ician

Machine type: Tascam
Some synth sounds naturally have "stereo movement" in them, like the Wurlitzer Piano and a few others. Although you can get the "idea" of what the sound is like, you don't get the full effect.

My suggestion is to put on a set of headphones and listen to your synth patch in stereo. If it doesn't sound like it needs to be in stereo, record it in mono.

I do that all the time, no need to record something that doesn't need to be there...

Or... since you have the channels... record them in stereo. If you need additional channels, you have the virtual tracks. There's no real need to skimp on the amount of audio that's recorded. Sometimes it's easier to take things out in post production than it is to go back and re-record a performance.

Acoustic.