The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:34 am 
Lone Star

Favourite food: cheese
Machine type: AW16G
Ok, forgive me for not doing a thorough enough search, I'm sure my answer is out here somewhere but I have very little time to be online these days with working two jobs and sleeper and eating :D

Keep in mind I'm an old analog guy and not at all technical proficient in anything digital and the AW16G is my first real digital recorder. I'm a slow learner when it comes to this stuff and I only get to play with my "G" (isn't that what "we" call them? lol) a couple times a week at best and for only and hour or so. So bare with me and ignore my obvious digital/technical naivety. I need things spelled out for me.

Ok, here goes..

I recorded a drum track onto a stereo track. I use Yamaha DTXPRESS electric drums, played live. I rarely use a click as my internal metronome is near perfect :roll: However I decided to use a click this time and bam! I got a really good take but there are a couple parts of the track where a snare and cymbal hits are behind a bit. Most people probably wouldn't notice but it drives me crazy. Is there a way to fix = "move ahead" those hits so they are in time or is that only possible if say I had each drum and cymbal on a different track? or is it possible at all?

Also. I want to speed up the tempo of an entire song I recorded. I read the manual 20 times and still can't figure out how to do this. Would anyone take the time to give me the "recording for dummies" version?

Thank much to all!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:56 am 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
To move a section of the track toward the start, you would use the EDIT-DELETE function. Then you would go to a point after what you moved "ahead" and use EDIT-INSERT for the same amount of time (to keep the overall length of the song the same.

However, if I understand what you have done, all the drums (kick, snare, cymbals, etc.) were all recorded at the same time. Using EDIT-DELETE would then move all drums ahead, which you don't want. If each drum was on a separate track, then what I suggested would work.

Might be better to try the Punch-in feature and rerecord just that small part. Although you can do an UNDO to get back to the original, might be better to make a copy of the song and play with that.

[EDIT]: You can't change the tempo at which a recorded song plays. Changing the tempo in SONG-TEMPO only affects the metronome, pads and measure/beat count.

Good luck and welcome to the forum,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:37 am 
Lone Star

Thanks Hogtime,

However, if I can direct your attention to the following post viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11289 Robbie said it can be done. I've been trying to accomplish this in the same way Robbie refers to but it's not working.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:20 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
You can move those hits ahead using the move function (edit button), but I recommend doing it HogTime's way. When the move command sees overlap in source and destination it doesn't do the job properly and it'll harm the file structure. I've seen it several times before.

The time compression thing works but it takes an awful lot of time. Besides, the sound quality has a lot to suffer.

Given the fact you're trying to solve two problems in a recorded session, I'd probably record it again. I'd save the old recording so I could go back for whatever reason later. It'll cost you some time and effort, but you will be happier in the end.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:28 pm 

Since I never do it, I forgot about the "time compression" feature. Oh well, at my age I have an excuse. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:23 pm 
Lone Star

Thanks Robbie and Hog..

I can't do the track over as I just sold the DTXpress kit and waiting for my new 2-Box kit which is coming from overseas and won't be here for several weeks. I need to finish this song as it's a pitch to a publisher and needs to be in by the 14th. In any event I'm stuck with what I have. I can live with a couple drum hits being a little out of time as it doesn't ruin the song, just irks me cause I usually do better. However I really want to speed up the temp a few notches. It just feels like the song is dragging.

Robbie, in the other thread I linked to someone mentioned Audacity that this free program can speed up the tempo. I know nothing about PC recording at all. Would this type program be able to speed the tempo after the stereo mix is uploaded to my PC? Do I need any other software? My PC is very basic, just 1 gig Vista home.

Appreciate the help!

I have many more questions about the G, but will take it slow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:31 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I use an old version of AcidPro to assemble drum loops.

If you attempt to load a longer wav file into this program - it is recognized as not having a "beatmap" The software will beatmap the wavs, if allowed. If your wav is is consistent in tempo ( you said your internal metronome was precise) the beat map will be set without too much difficulty. with this done, it is easy to adjust the tempo of the wav.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:26 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Download Audacity and play with it. See if you like what it can do for you. It's freeware.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:51 am 

Here are some programs that slow down or speed up music. However, I don't know if any create a WAV file. If not, you'd have to record the output of the PC. I saw a trial version available for at least "Slow Downer".
http://www.ronimusic.com/
http://www.triplets.com/software/transkriber/index.htm
http://rbytes.net/software/slowgold-review/

Be warned though that some sort of audio quality decrease will probably occur. You might end up with something at the right tempo, but lower audio quality.