The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:35 am 
Dude

Favourite food: food for thought
Machine type: AW16G
Hi, I have my microphone connected to input 1 and stereo music coming into inputs 3 & 4. I want listen with the headphones and send a -47.0db signal to my video camera. I can't seem to be able to separate the headphones from stereo/aux out. I need to be able to hear myself sing with the music, without blasting the audio input of my camcorder. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:18 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
If you're sending -47 dB to the camera, it sounds like you're going into a mic input, not a line input. Way too low of a signal to hear much on headphones.

I'm assuming you have the headphones connected to the Monitor out. Try connecting the camera to Monitor out and back way off on the monitor volume knob. Plug the headphones into the one of the Stereo outs and have the master fader (red one) up enough to hear yourself. Might need some adapter cables to do this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:29 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Not quite sure what you mean about separating your headphones.
You should be able to do what you want.

I would set the aux out channels you want to send to the camcorder to pre fader. In this way you can move the faders to monitor things in your cans (headset) without affecting the setting on the aux send.. There is also an overall control for the Aux send bus. It is a virtual fader. The screen on which it is shown/controlledt is accessed through the View or Pan control button (not sure which). But first, Your Stereo/ Aux out should be set to AUX. this toggle setting is accessed through one of the buttons mentioned above too.

Give it a go and get back if you remained confused. I am not near a machine now, so can't give specific instructions, but I've pointed you in the right direction I do believe.

Post subject: confused, Yes!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:10 am 
Dude

Hey, thanks for the help. I was working on this project and it was late and I was very tired. I kept going around and around and not figuring out what I was doing wrong. A good nights sleep and a prod from you back in the right direction and I figured out why I couldn't get my Aux out to work. The "Aux 1/2" for the inputs needed to be turned on using the "Pan/bal" button to get to the "Aux Out" window. Using the "View" button, to get to "CH view" window for my inputs, I needed to turn up the volume with the virtual Pots of "Aux 1" and "Aux 2". Holding the input button for each channel for three seconds gets me to the "Input settings" pop-up window, because the "ST" switch needs to be closed (connected) in order to hear my signal with the headphones ,which are plugged into the headphone output jack. I can adjust the volume to "Aux1" and "Aux2" using the virtual sliders in the "Pan" "Aux out" window or the "View" "Ch View" window's "Aux1" and "Aux 2" Pots. I don't know how to change the "Aux 1" and "Aux 2" levels using only one slider. I have to adjust the levels of both "Aux 1" and "Aux 2" , because I have stereo music on channels 3 and 4, which are paired, with channel 3 panned to the far left and channel 4 panned to the far right. I will have to adjust the "Aux 1" and "Aux 2" outputs to get an optimal level to my DV camcorder's audio input (mic in). I can now get excellant stereo audio with my Canon EV100 DV camcorder, without having to replace the audio track of the tape later using Adobe Elements. I will also use this set-up with the Kodak Ei8 camera that I just bought as a christmas present for my fiance, also has a stereo audio input. Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:12 pm 
Dude

The optimal input for my camera audio in/mic input turned out to be -30db. I still have to adjust the volume of the different songs, because each one plays at a slightly different level. Now I can make my own music videos. LOL