The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:58 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:42 pm 
City Slicker

Favourite food: bangers and mash
Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I set the auto punch in/out points and record the few notes I want. It'll play back fine but for some reason when I save the song and play it back from the punch in point it's as if the punch in wasn't recorded. I think I'm following the instructions in the manual to the letter (page 60) but obviously I'm doing something wrong. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:56 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
If auto punch utility is still on then the current take drops out every time when you play it back. You have to make sure the Auto Punch button light is off. this is because this aspect of this utility is rehearsal mode.

If that doesn't solve your puzzlement I would not be sure of what is going on ?? Your description doesn't quite fit. After the Save and then playback, what is there? blank? or the passage you were trying to fix?

If my suggestion solves it, then resolve that it becomes habit to turn the AP off to listen back. the problem arises when you decide that the take is not the one, ( and overlooked that turning the playback off did not automatically return the time to the pre-roll start) and then you hit record for another take and you roll over an unintended part. Hit stop. Hit Undo to get rid of mistake -- and --now the In Out point have automatically been reset to the mistake's parameters. Oh no. Now you have to reset the in out points. You can Undo to the take you don't like, but the In Out points do not revert if my memory serves So always check the On light on the AutoPunch before starting a punch in take.

The rehearsal utility is very useful for just that beyond punching in ---- rehearsal while playing along to previously recorded tracks through the machines inputs, in preparation for a first or alternate take or a long punch in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:46 am 
City Slicker

Favourite food: bangers and mash
Thanks for your thoughtful and comprehensive reply. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. With auto punch I record the passage I want to fix. (Red and Green lights on.) Next I play back the new passage and it's what I just recorded. But when I save the song it's as if I never auto punched the passage in the first place. I must be misinterpreting the manual somehow. I'll make a fresh attempt tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:50 pm 
Marker Magician

The only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps when you play it back to assess results of your punch in, you perhaps ???are first engaging the stereo track and then you are listening to your last mix down?? A punch-in will amend the individual track. but not the mix to which it previously contributed?? You have to re-record a mix down to hear that edit. Long shot guess ???

On a similar note, if you engage the machine to burn a CD that will include a stereo track of the song which is currently the selected project, a recent mix that has been recorded will not appear on the disc as you just mixed it, but rather as the version before that ... because you did not first save the project before your burn. I remember being stymied by that. Perhaps you make last minute adjustment to a particular project, then set up a burn that includes that project and others as well. >> Burn the disc and then put it in the player to listen back only to find that the last minute adjustment did not make it to the burn >> because you did not save the project (which updates the stereo track slot to the most recent mix down). ??

Let us know what you discover as this seeming "gremlin" is annoying. Here is something to try >> stop the machine just before and/or during the section you punched. Does the new info re-appear?? This has been known to happen, in a fashion on my 1600, but not to my memory on the 2400. but that may be due to being more careful on my 2400 after experiencing earlier trial and tribulation on my 1600. It has been wisely suggested, that this is related to overlapping IN/Out points from punch-ins that are close together or perhaps separate attempts at the same passage but from different In/Out points. (remember my discussion about turning AP off to listen back and then recording a subsequent pass without AP on, and unintentionally altering the In/Out points?). To avoid this need to find and reset In point exactly, I often set a regular marker at the IN point to which I will need to return, should I overlook the AP-on step, and so alter the IN/Out points by mistake. However in such a situation the audio, in my experience, drops out completely, leaving silence during the punch segment ??? You are saying you hear the pre punch version??

Keep at it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:25 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: fish
Machine type: AW16G
Hello,
I'm wondering anyone can assist me with an issue I'm having with the AW16G.

I`ve linked 2 AW16G together and everything is working well. But, I
>realized that the panning on the slave is not working. When turning
>the dial jog left to right or vice versa theres no difference.
>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:31 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Welcome. I too was having a similar issue with pan. You may want to confirm your monitors and or headphones are connected properly.

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:59 pm 
Marker Magician

How is the audio from the slave getting to the master machine? It is going into the master via two inputs on the master machine either as analog from the analog stereo outs on the slave or via a digital cascade transfer from slave to master via a pair of inputs assigned to the digital cascade.

In either case, make sure those inputs on the master are panned hard left and right, so they will be delivered to the master's stereo bus as LR. that is my guess if Ron's first check suggestion reveals that the monitor wiring is all good. Been a while since I linked two machines ??? myself.