The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:03 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Track 23/24 Problem?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:25 pm 
Boot Polisher

Favourite food: STEAK
Machine type: AW16G
Hi again!
I appear to have a problem recording on these tracks.
I can't as with the others go back and hear what I've recorded while the tracks are still armed. Instead I have to unarmed them and press the clear/safe button before I can hear them.
Not sure if I've pressed something somewhere without noticing or there's a problem elsewhere?
Any help would be appreciated.
Ta
Les

Post subject: Re: Track 23/24 Problem?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:55 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
You have a muting issue. When recording in 16 bit projects you have total of 24 "channels" available for both inputs and tracks combined. So as you arm any input in order to record,a track is muted by default. so if you arm two inputs to record to 23/24 they will have become muted, as the AW mutes track in reverse order. If you want to use tracks 23/24 to monitor as you record upon them, mute two other tracks and unmute 23/24.

The reality is that you are able to record 12 tracks through 12 inputs (you would need an expansion card to go from 8 to 12 inputs)and monitor them all, as you are tracking.. If you use more than 12 inputs (16 are available with an expansion card in the slot) you would only be able to monitor 8 of them, as you track. But you can record to muted tracks. you just can't monitor them as you record. You have discovered that already.

In 24 bit you get only a 12 "channel" count. In 24 bit you can record to 12 tracks only. So, In that case if you arm 2 inputs, tracks 11/12 would be muted by the machine. Again, you can break these mutes so you can once again hear, both whilst tracking and also upon playback, as long as other channels are muted in place of the ones the AW automatically muted by default.

You can assign and break mutes on the "direct record" screen, where you assign inputs to tracks. Look for the little M s below the track numbers. Click on the M for which you want to change status from mute to unmute or vice versa. the M s are shown in reverse video when muted. Again for 16 bit projects... keep in mind that the 24 "channel" count will always be 24 when # of assigned inputs are added to # of tracks that have not been muted by the machine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:39 am 
Boot Polisher

Wow!
Thanks Byron, your knowledge appears limitless with this machine as your help is much appreciated.
Thanks again
Les

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:01 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
This particular problem was particularly perplexing when I first bought cards to expand the number of inputs. I occassionally do a recording of a band where more than 12 tracks are utilized . Recording to muted tracks is not all that daunting when you have realized that you control to which ones you will listen during the tracking. Without understanding about the default muting protocol however you begin to wonder if there are gremlins at work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:19 pm 
Boot Polisher

I must have checked every lead and recorded the same thing about 20 times thinking it must be me!