The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:54 am 
Offline
Roper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:22 am
Posts: 2515
First and foremost, the Sweet 16 Comp CD is open to submissions from every member of Dijonstock.

It would be great to hear from our European members if they were to submit their covers of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Dave Clark Five, Gerry and the Pacemakers, John Mayall etc.

There are submission method options available to anyone who may be interested in making submission(s) toward the Sweet 16 Compilation CD effort.

Sign on as a member at http://www.yousendit.com/ and you can email your wave file to clinerndy@yahoo.com or email me at the same address with a link to access a wave file of your song(s) submission.

For those who chose the snail mail route:
Export to disc a wave file of your submission(s) and mail the disc(s) to
Randy Cline
2 Deborah Drive
Ellington, CT 06029

This is the 3rd Comp CD that I am once again privileged to organize.

This time around, however, the rules are a bit different.

In the past, I have had to deal with mp3 file submissions and CDA (audio CD) submissions.

Mp3 and CDA formats will not be acceptable for this CD.

This time around only wave file submissions will be acceptable and wave file submissions should be limited to a maximum volume of -6 to -4 dB in amplitude of your final mix.

In other words, give me some headroom to work with for each submission in order to work with toward the overall balancing of the CD content.

Comp CD 2008 submissions (as great as they were) were all over the map ranging from -10 dB to clipping (above 0) and it was a struggle to find a balance. I think I did, but I’m still not totally sure that I succeeded. It’s not for me to say.

I’m not nitpicking because I also found myself being guilty of submitting a final mix (to myself LOL!!) that was too loud and difficult to adjust and fit within the final CD 2008 mix.

I’m just saying…….pay attention to the volume level of your submission toward a Comp CD. It is different than the volume level you would burn for a CD and listening to in your car or at home not within and inclusion within songs recorded elsewhere.

Edit: Also PM me with as much information as possoble concerning each song.
Song Name:
Originally Recorded By:
Names of all musicians (and instruments) on your cover. etc etc etc.

Record and submit your song (or songs).

The Sweet 16 Comp CD will be awesome!

p.s. If you're in doubt or have questions....PM me.

p.p.s. Be sure to PM me with your mailing address.

NOTICE: Robbie has also opened a file exchange method through which you can attach your wave file. :thumbright:

_________________
The Euphrates:

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone


Last edited by 60's guy on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:09 am 
Offline
Robbie The Botkiller
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:46 pm
Posts: 5015
Location: Netherlands
Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
I loved the 2008 comp CD... mastered or not.

For getting the files to Randy, I'm working on post attachments. You've probably already seen some examples that I posted.

The idea is to have a separate attachments section where everyone can attach files to their posts. However there are restrictions as the files are stored on the Dijonstock server. But we can get hundreds of megabytes of data from one user to the other this way. Deleting posts is freeing up space and new files can be uploaded. In other words, posts in the attachments section are temporary.

I'm still figuring out how it works in terms of maintenance.

In case of private information (such as the comp CD where the songs are supposed to be a surprise) the attachment facility could also be opened up for private messaging.

I expect to have it up and running in a few weeks latest, at this moment there are still a couple of things I need to work out.

_________________

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating


Last edited by Robbie on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
example attachment removed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:42 pm 
Offline
Robbie The Botkiller
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:46 pm
Posts: 5015
Location: Netherlands
Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
I'll probably be opening up the File Exchange section this weekend.

A 500 MB total and a 100 MB file size limit (10 minutes of uncompressed stereo wav).

_________________

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:00 am 
Offline
Roper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:22 am
Posts: 2515
Robbie wrote:
I'll probably be opening up the File Exchange section this weekend.

A 500 MB total and a 100 MB file size limit (10 minutes of uncompressed stereo wav).

I updated the 1st post alerting everyone to the option of using the File Exhange section as a method of submission.

Thanks, Robbie! :)

_________________
The Euphrates:

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:01 am 
Offline
Roper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:22 am
Posts: 2515
My involvement with the Dijonstock Comp CD efforts is over.

I'm passing the torch.

_________________
The Euphrates:

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:05 am 
Offline
Marker Magician
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:20 pm
Posts: 3364
Machine type: AW2400
60's guy wrote:
My involvement with the Dijonstock Comp CD efforts is over.

I'm passing the torch.


That is too bad. I was looking forward to it.

Sorry i can't help put in any way this time,as I have a new set of challenges at work this next academic year.

The comments that suggest we should stick to recording, music and warm-hearted banter (drivel) agree quite well with me. There are a of of people I suspect who read this forum, without participating.. They benefit greatly from seeing that liked minded people around the globe are making music and. importantly. are exercising their minds and developing creative capacities and communicating. Personal politics aside, this place is a mine of information for those who are keen about recording music, but too shy to post. been there.

I appreciated your contribution in the 2008 Cd Randy. Hope you may reconsider ????

_________________
Byron


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:42 am 
Offline
Roper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:22 am
Posts: 2515
Byron wrote:
60's guy wrote:
My involvement with the Dijonstock Comp CD efforts is over.

I'm passing the torch.


That is too bad. I was looking forward to it.

Sorry i can't help put in any way this time,as I have a new set of challenges at work this next academic year.

The comments that suggest we should stick to recording, music and warm-hearted banter (drivel) agree quite well with me. There are a of of people I suspect who read this forum, without participating.. They benefit greatly from seeing that liked minded people around the globe are making music and. importantly. are exercising their minds and developing creative capacities and communicating. Personal politics aside, this place is a mine of information for those who are keen about recording music, but too shy to post. been there.

I appreciated your contribution in the 2008 Cd Randy. Hope you may reconsider ????

Byron,

I truly appreciate your response.

What bothers me most is the lack of understanding how many hours it requires to produce a Comp CD that translates favorably to most CD players.

It's high time that someone else other than me or Robbie stepped up to the plate to produce a Comp CD.

_________________
The Euphrates:

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:17 pm 
Offline
Marker Magician
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:20 pm
Posts: 3364
Machine type: AW2400
60's guy wrote:
Byron wrote:
60's guy wrote:
My involvement with the Dijonstock Comp CD efforts is over.

I'm passing the torch.


That is too bad. I was looking forward to it.

Sorry i can't help put in any way this time,as I have a new set of challenges at work this next academic year.

The comments that suggest we should stick to recording, music and warm-hearted banter (drivel) agree quite well with me. There are a of of people I suspect who read this forum, without participating.. They benefit greatly from seeing that liked minded people around the globe are making music and. importantly. are exercising their minds and developing creative capacities and communicating. Personal politics aside, this place is a mine of information for those who are keen about recording music, but too shy to post. been there.

I appreciated your contribution in the 2008 Cd Randy. Hope you may reconsider ????

Byron,

I truly appreciate your response.

What bothers me most is the lack of understanding how many hours it requires to produce a Comp CD that translates favorably to most CD players.

It's high time that someone else other than me or Robbie stepped up to the plate to produce a Comp CD.


I no can do this time as I've been assigned a completely new assignment, on which I must concentrate for the first academic year. After that I will feel more in the driver's seat.

If you wish to PM and give me a synopsis of the process you went through to develop the compilation, I would be most interested and this would educate me as to what I would face, should I accept such a challenge next time. I had intended to contact you re; such information anyways, so now seems an opportune time. I am familiar with many of the issues, as I have taught myself a great deal about the manipulation stereo files and as i have been involved with the professional mastering of three projects, sitting in the second/ client chair at a mastering house in Toronto. But I would most interested in your perspective on the challenge of, at home, leveling up recordings made in so many studios, and how you approached the task.

I never did post to the thread, but I have my cover picked - Neil Young - This Old House.

Hope the project can keep its wheels.

Regards,

_________________
Byron


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:54 pm 
Offline
Spacemonkey & Superstar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:36 am
Posts: 1584
Favourite food: Marmite/beans/toast
Machine type: AW16G
Uncalled for comments removed by personal moderator -

Richard

_________________
"Riding a motorcycle looks cool and all - but no-one messes with a man riding an elephant"


Last edited by sleepless on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:23 pm 
Offline
Mr. Electonica Dude
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:48 am
Posts: 11452
Location: Godly Taxas
Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Quote:
It's high time that someone else other than me or Robbie stepped up to the plate to produce a Comp CD.


Guess he forgot about me. :cry: (yawn)

_________________
THE MUSIC IS DOWN IN HERE
____________________________________________________

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:49 am 
Offline
Sample Pad & Tempo Map Specialist
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:06 pm
Posts: 369
Location: Georgetown, KY
Favourite food: possum
Machine type: AW1600
In light of recent events I will volunteer to help out with comp CD production...2 asterisks to mention


*#1 Being currently unemployed, I have no spare money (this is why I did not step up when the idea was first kicked around)

*#2 My internet connection sucks. Sending me files through the internet would have to be at specific times when I go to my brother's. Say I could post a couple days before I plan on visiting. Everyone wishing to send their submissions would see the post and act accordingly

I do have plenty of time on my hands and would love to be a part of it just make sure the projects happen. It's up to you guys.

_________________
"Arpeggios are like women...'cept you can't tie one up and put it in your trunk..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:28 am 
Offline
The Reverend
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:45 am
Posts: 4047
Location: dusty border town
Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
Quote:
personal moderator


cool. where can I get one? :wink:

_________________
it's funny, the older you get, the older you wanna be


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:04 am 
Offline
Former Computer Geek
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:39 pm
Posts: 1556
Location: Tacoma, WA---Ghetto-licious!
Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Machine type: AW1600
You guys are funny!

-= Beer

_________________
I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group