The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:06 am 
Wants You

Machine type: AW16G
Quote:
to Bryter Layter for "Apart at the Seams

I'm a big fan of Matt's. As far as I'm concerned, he has 'it'. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:15 am 
Roper

Bob Keelan wrote:
Quote:

Same thought here.

Matt is an incredible songwriter and musician and it has always amazed me how simple he makes his arrangements sound when in fact they are more often than not.....complex.

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:03 pm 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
Two more personal bouqets- for Disc 3 of the comp.

Firstly to Stacy for "Sunny Gets Blue". Great presence and clarity on the recording and fantastic guitar work on what is a very difficult song. Sometimes a technically good performance by a guitarist is only appreciated by guitarists but I think this one would be appreciated by non-players as well. Wonderful.

Secondly to Mrskygod for "Dad's Song". Reminiscent in style of the old "Hill Street Blues" theme that was always a favourite of mine. In most songs, the forward momentum is lead by the percussion but here it is taken by the piano. Very nicely recorded and arranged, I particularly liked the coda with it's crescendo that doesn't quite resolve as expected and this makes the slightly delayed resolution even more exquisite when it happens. I loved "Mother's Song" and this one makes for a fantastic couple.

I'd like to award a personal Whammy Award for the track that most beats me up to keep improving but I haven't been able to find a track that is a clear winner. Thanks to everyone as I can learn something from every single submission.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:25 am 
Tenderfoot

guitarman wrote:

Firstly to Stacy for "Sunny Gets Blue". Great presence and clarity on the recording and fantastic guitar work on what is a very difficult song. Sometimes a technically good performance by a guitarist is only appreciated by guitarists but I think this one would be appreciated by non-players as well. Wonderful.

Why thank you kind sir. That was done on a very cheap Ibanez Nylon String, miked with a SM 58, and there a more than a few flubs, because with my attention span, I have about 15 minutes to get an inspired take or I move on, which means I usually have pretty "clammy" tracks....Since I am primarily a bassist, I often end up doing bass solos instead of guitar sols. Of course if you really want to hear the song...feast on the Master, Nat King Cole's version. I sure appreciate your kind words.

Last edited by stacy on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:05 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Bob Keelan wrote:
Quote:

Probably my favorite of the set as well. If tones , song writing and performance were an artist's palate then this song is a Rembrandt to my ears.

Gotta say Bob's entry , Carry You on , is also in my top 5 pics. This song brought joy to my ears , tears to my eyes and I could almost feel Bob's emotion as he preformed it. Being primarily a neck picker , his keyboard work is simple and emotional and honest . It so reminded me of Pete Young's submission on the Tribute Album which I also adored. Good music should always invoke emotion and this one does it in spades.

Joel , for Foresting...........somewhat predictable at times until odd things happen. I find it hauntingly interesting overall. One of those grooves that gets me wondering how I would have played it.

Pianojam , I always liked her open , honest , unique style. All three subs are no different.

Byrons , Seven Headless Horsemen , A very nice clean recording. The vocals are just killer.

Robbie , Changing Hearts , Dunno why, I like the heck outa it. Then again , I always dug chick rock singers. Pretty cool G production.

I enjoy the whole kit and kabootle but these are my top 5 favs.

Thanks again to Randy for ramrodding this deal and ALL the contributers as well.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:11 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
mrskygod wrote:
I always dug chick rock singers.

Thanks. Me too!

Image7

But us guys better don't get anything in our head... we have to get past her husband.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:46 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Geno,

To make into your list of honourable (Canadian - british - Spelling) mentions is quite an honor (US spelling). This whole experience of connecting with like minded people around the globe gets better all the time. Thanks for the compliments about seven headless horsemen - the story was posted in an earlier comp CD thread. Not my song - wish it was - but I have two gigs this weekend with the composer and all the players, except my daughter who is the lone female (twice in spots). I will pass along your compliment. It is the final cut on our relase "Norm's Song" Oddly enough we have performed that song in public only rarely - last weekend at a campfire being the first time in many months. It is wonderful to work with enthused compadres, and your words, I am sure, will pump us up tonight.

I myself have listened to the whole set, but currently am relistening to repeated plays of # 1. the songs are becoming as familar as my own, and I am learning a great deal reflecting on what i am hearing. I will go through the same process with the other two discs and post some comments as I go. Everything is terrific. Don't have my list here right now, so won't risk getting an artist / title mixed up, but can say Robbies work with Krimson I find great. Very well balanced mix - of a set of well performed tracks. more later. Thanks again Geno.

Byron