The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:00 am 
Poco fan

Machine type: AW16G
I have 3 songs on the CD. They are:
Better Days
Head Over Heels
Theme Without A Name

Better Days and Head Over Heels were songs I wrote with my old band, The Jimmy Williams Band, back in 2001. They were recorded at PC North here in Sacramento. I have been rather lax in recording anything new for awhile so I sent those in. Actually, Randy has that CD.

Theme Without a Name was the first thing I ever recorded on the AW16G. It's an instrumental by the Dave Clark Five. That song was completely done from memory because I had not heard the song since the 60's. So, it's really just a guess. I re-recorded the lead guitar part later when I borrowed a friends 1957 ES-175. Yummy. Anyway it's just a little song and I dedicate it to Mike Smith (DC5) who died this year.

Thanks Randy for all of your hard work.

Chuck

http://www.beccaandchuck.com

Last edited by bassoprofundo on Sat May 10, 2008 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:22 am 
Review Guru

Favourite food: Vegetable Lasagne
My contribution was completed in a couple hours.
I was listening to Pet Sounds and decided to do an instrumental

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:24 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
On Nov 29 2006 my friend Wheely and I went to Utrecht to see a Level 42 concert in Muziekcentrum Vredenburg. We entered the hall about half an hour before the start of the program. Exactly 21 years before, the same friend and me visited the same hall for the same artist. So we were talking about it "I think we sat over there back then!" and we remembered there was a group opening for Level 42.

We were wondering if there would be an opening act again. On the stage were two drum kits so that was a good indication. On the floor, next to the vocalists mic, was an accordeon... we feared the worst. Then this group of 4 entered the stage and started playing and singing... totally amazing!! Good solid rhythm, fat bass, great guitar work and an amazing voice.

We enjoyed the concert.

Back home I decided to see if I could find who they were. I found their web site and a guest book, so I put a little comment on it. A few days later I received an email from the bass player. We exchanged some mails and I asked them for a CD. They didn't have anything. They weren't planning on recording because they did two tracks in a professional studio and they were shocked by the price tag.

I offered them time in my studio. They did accept my offer but they preferred me to come to them. Four people with lots of equipment, or just one with just a few bags. I could tell they had their reservations, so I had to make a choice. Was I going to drive to Hengelo (130 miles one way) to do THEM a favour and have a good recording session, or neither of them? I chose the first option.

In September 2007 I went to Hengelo only to meet, to get to know them a bit and to see what equipment they have in their rehearsal space. They turned out to be very sympathetic people. Modest, shy almost. Especially the bass player. In October, on a Saturday, I went there to do the recording. It took us more than half a day to install everything. Besides, they had a concert the night before so they were tired. When I got home and started the post processing, I could clearly hear when fatigue struck. I sent them a first mix telling them what I thought and that I would very much prefer redoing it than giving them a CD that would disappear into a drawer. So, in December, we did it again.

It took me a couple of weeks to make a decent mix and mastering. My friend Wheely helped me mixing and had some useful critiques. I also designed and printed labels and booklet. On Februari 16, I had 20 copies and I just could not go to the post office to send them; instead I stepped into the car and delivered them personally in Hengelo, much to the surprise of the band.

The tracks submitted are Changing Hearts, Realise and Mr. Bird. They are my most favourite tracks of the CD.

I enjoyed very much working with these people, I learned an awful lot (never let a guitar player near a power plug), I had a great time. It was a unique project. And the most important thing, the customer was more than happy.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:50 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
The tunes I submitted are Seven Headless Horsemen and The Bottle Let Me Down.

I had rented a G a few times, but for various reasons never took the plunge and bought. I liked the machine, but had reservations about the transferability of data to the computer. I was not aware of the forum and did not know about the 2816 option. I found the backup process and the media requirements cumbersome. The pres and the 1/4 inch inputs were not to my liking either.

When the 1600 came on the market several circumstances came together to make it the right thing for the moment. The improvements made by Yamaha were to my liking, but primarily I had found several people who were interested in recording some original material and I had gained a good deal of experience with the editing/mastering/post production of stereo tracks through involvement with several choral projects. So I jumped in with very little experience at multitracking and mixing. We did many recordings to learn the ropes - I still like listening to them and remembering the enthusiasm with which they were produced.

Seven Headless Horsemen was composed by my bandmate Guy Mason. It was released on an album entitled Norm's Song. Norm McGhee died in an industrial accident. I met him six days before his death. He was uncle of my daughter's boyfriend. They are no longer a couple, but the boyfriend Dan and his friend Dan, both 18 at the time, joined with Guy, Leo (Dan#1s dad) and me to jam and play all night. We started to call ourselves the DANNs. Norm's employer requested use of a single song we had recorded in his memory, and eventually discussion led to them preordering 500 units of a CD we had yet to produce. It was a lot of work pulling it all together in the two months available, as there was a strict deadline to be met. The employer wished to distribute the CDs on April 28, 2007 - The National Day of Mourning - set aside to honour victims of workplace accidents.

The tune is about the turmoil created when a team of consultants arrived here from the States at a local nuclear generating facility here in Ontario, Canada. It was at the time a public utility, in dire need of restructuring to be competitive and improve efficiency. Many people's lives were affected, and Guy wrote the tune in response. It is the first tune I did with the 1600 of which I was purposeful in the production, others having been more "emergent". I play bass on it, my daughter and the other DANNs play all the other roles. Hope you like it when you hear it.

The Bottle Let Me Down is a Merle Haggard cover. I learned the tune 'cause it was fun, but never thought of producing it. I had a rough reference recording that I had a young classically trained clarinetist I was working with play to, just for some micing practice. One thing lead to another - a stand up bassist I know casually happened by. He wanted to put some harmonica to it as well. The DANNs added some tenor vocals and the project became what it is. Hope you like it too.

In closing, this recording hobby (habit?) is hard to beat. Thanks to all who contribute here. To think that just ten short years ago this type of interactive community did not exist is pretty amazing.

regards,

Byron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:51 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
I submitted Analogue Analysis , Dad’s Song and Pancho and Lefty.

Analogue Analysis was a redo of an older version that dates back a few years. It was one of my first attempts at recording the Motif ES using the AN plugboard. I never posted it before because I didn't think it was very good. Oddly everybody that hears it likes it.

Dad’s Song was written for my father's 84th birthday album. He loves piano music. The mellotron voices were a combination of Mark II and M300 string samples and towards the ending were a combination of Tripled 8 Choir , Mixed Choir and Classical Choir voices. Also was a vocoded V-Synth choir. Mistakes were edited in for realism.

Pancho and Lefty was that last song Don recorded before his untimely passing. He really liked this song as do I so he talked me into doing a cover of it. He did the lead vocals , drums and guitar work. Jonny , his band's rhythm guitar player and excellent tenor did the backup vocals. I played piano , hammond , mandolin and bass .
Don fretted way too much about his voice and I decided to remove the vocal pitch processing to keep Don as I remember him. Don did all his parts in one take. Jonny and I had to work much harder at it.

I'm proud to be a part of this wonderful 2008 comp CD.

Thanks Randy for all the hard work.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:16 am 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Ok, here my comment:

"Route 66" is one of my favorite songs. So for this song I always switch from bass to guitar and let the other guitarist play the bass. We often let the instruments go around ...

The song was recorded 4 days after my new AW1600 arrived. It had been my first recording ever, so dont be so hard with critic. I tried to use the powerful EQs Compressors and Effects of the AW to use it as an live-mixer. So all the signal flow through the AW during band-rehersals. So it was easy to hit the record-button and noone of my band members realized that I record during band-rehersal :mrgreen: .

I only want to get some records to fiddle around and learn more about mixing with my new toy. The result is a sloopy live recording with no overdubs, but I hope the fun we always have while jamming is heard on the recording. With the tips from you all friendly and helpful guys I got a no too bad mix I hope!

Some members of this board seemed to like my first recording and told me to sent it to Randy to be one song for the compilation-cd.

Like Geno said: I'm proud to be a part of this wonderful 2008 comp CD.
Thanks Randy for all the hard work.

Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:41 pm 
Tenderfoot

I didn't really expect all three songs to make it!

Somewhere in America:
This is a Was (Not Was) song, one of the first I did with the G. The cheesy rhythm is my old Univox drum machine (now dead after arcing/fusing with its twin). I always wanted to redo the vocals because I recorded them before I had anything other than an Sm 58 and the compressor distressed abit. All the guitars are going through a Boss ME 6 and an ART Studio V3 pre, except the nylon string, which is direct. The lead nylon track was one of those moments that went down pretty much as one take, as did the bass. There are some semi-cheesy keys too. I wanted to remix but never got around to it, so this is what it is. Done in about two hours…

I'll add as an aside that Randy emailed me with a lovely compliment about it being a great tribute to a father. I had a different interpretation so my response to Randy follows:
It's funny that you mention it as a tribute to a Dad. My take on it is somewhat different...I was coming from a place that I really never had a Dad (he was a drunk loser who gave up custody to my Mom, also a drunk loser, who sent me into a shelter when I was 2, only to end up in an abusive Foster home for ten years), and that I believe that somewhere there is a place with our name where we may have had a real life, but I am the guy who will get ahead on my own merits or "if I fail, I'll take it like a man." For me, the song is my "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"
The reason I connect with the "Street Named After" line is because when I left the foster home, I retook my Starkweather name. I soon discovered a book called "Starkweather, story of a Mass murderer" and it starts describing the name, and that streets named Starkweather, are scattered around the country.

When Sunny Gets Blue:
I always loved this song, and so I recorded it quickly with the cheapo nylon miked by a 58 and an Audix dynamic. The bass solo is direct

Meet Me in Heaven:
This was version three of this song, the first started from live tracks on a cassette. None of these made it. I got the idea of doing the arpeggiated parts on the nylon and the tremelo is what allowed it sit in the track. This was one of Johnny Cash’s finest (and most overlooked songs). I sang this to my wife at our wedding. She always liked the dirtier version based around the cassette tracks better.

General Notes:
I have never had the G seize, lock up or fail!
I tend to record very fast, and I am totally old school, strictly punching and playing…never got the hang of virtual tracks etc. I will however do several submixes (bass/drums) guitars, etc so they can each have different effects.
All of my equipment (except my prized Ken Smith bass) is very cheap and bought off of ebay for (generally) less than $200, and the guitars are all really cheap…sound like it too!
I love the G community and really enjoy getting the new comp CD’s…when it comes I’ll drive around in my car just listening to all the great stuff this community has come up with. This G group defines what is good about the digital revolution, the Internet, and what they now call the “flat earth” Thanks for sharing with me!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:41 am 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Quote:
I was coming from a place that I really never had a Dad (he was a drunk loser who gave up custody to my Mom, also a drunk loser, who sent me into a shelter when I was 2, only to end up in an abusive Foster home for ten years), and that I believe that somewhere there is a place with our name where we may have had a real life, but I am the guy who will get ahead on my own merits or "if I fail, I'll take it like a man."

I bet you turned out to be a fantastic father!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:00 am 
The Reverend

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

Fool's Gold is the first and only song I've ever recorded on the G...It's a product of a writing partnership between myself and friend I've known since 7th grade. On the majority of our songs, my friend writes the lions share of the lyrics and I throw in a middle 8, but my contribution is on the music and instrumental performance side. The song itself is a commentary on failing relationships and attempts at pointless reconciliation.

Though we live in different cities, we've been able to stay in touch over the years due to our love of music. We've got many other collaborations just collecting dust and waiting to be recorded, but alas, time the avenger has a different idea. Anyway, I just need to sit down and get something on the hard drive, even if it is just a basic skeleton track of myself on acoustic guitar and rough vocals. Maybe Comp 2008 will light a fire and I'll dive in...Appreciate your efforts Randy.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:57 pm 
Tenderfoot

bokchoy wrote:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

Fool's Gold is the first and only song I've ever recorded on the G...It's a product of a writing partnership between myself and friend I've known since 7th grade. On the majority of our songs, my friend writes the lions share of the lyrics and I throw in a middle 8, but my contribution is on the music and instrumental performance side. The song itself is a commentary on failing relationships and attempts at pointless reconciliation.

Though we live in different cities, we've been able to stay in touch over the years due to our love of music. We've got many other collaborations just collecting dust and waiting to be recorded, but alas, time the avenger has a different idea. Anyway, I just need to sit down and get something on the hard drive, even if it is just a basic skeleton track of myself on acoustic guitar and rough vocals. Maybe Comp 2008 will light a fire and I'll dive in...Appreciate your efforts Randy.

Which one is John and which one is Paul?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:07 pm 
Tenderfoot

bokchoy wrote:
Quote:

I bet you turned out to be a fantastic father!

How nice of you to say!
Being a father is not easy, as anyone can attest. Not making the same mistakes our parents made is the easiest choice but the hardest part, since our brains neurologically wired themselves to adapt to the environment they are in before age three. This creates our tendencies.
The biggest differences? I waited till I was ready (I am about to turn 50 with a 3 1/2 year old and an 11 month old!) and I have the best wife in the world!
P.S. There is nothing better than being a parent!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:13 pm 
The Reverend

Quote:
Which one is John and which one is Paul?

More like Elton and Bernie..
Quote:

The biggest differences? I waited till I was ready (I am about to turn 50 with a 3 1/2 year old and an 11 month old!) and I have the best wife in the world!
P.S. There is nothing better than being a parent!

Yup...I'll be turning 50 in December...I have two daughters, one 21 and the other 8, so I didn't wait as long as you did, but I understand the sentiment...and you're correct about fatherhood! Salud...

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:07 am 
G-crazy

Quick notes about my comp tunes. Thanks for listening, guys.

IF YOU KNOW JUST 3 THINGS ABOUT MY MUSIC…
then you might enjoy at least something of it (it’s not the easiest stuff to like, I know):

* that I grew up craving groups like early Yes, King Crimson, and Return to Forever
* that I always write/record just one instrument first, and then let each subsequent part speak to that; each tune grows organically
* that I enjoy repeating melodic patterns, often in sneaky ways, throughout a tune
* Well, one more biggie--that my engineering skills fairly sucketh, and I'm too lazy to do much about it; playing guitar is more fun

1. UPTOWN, DOWNTOWN (ALL AROUND THE DAMN TOWN)
I recently finished this tune, which I wrote as a potential set opener for a future benefit concert in town. I wrote and recorded the bass guitar track first, all the way through, and let things develop. As you may notice, the same quick pattern that begins and ends the tune appears repeatedly throughout in many large and small ways. I had a lot of fun with that. Dedicated to my dear wife, who can shop a town, up and down, like no one else.

2. SNAKIN’ HOMEWARD ON A FOGGY NIGHT
This tune was the last thing I recorded and mixed on my old Tascam Portastudio (414, cassette), which I recently transferred to my G. I wrote and recorded the organ part first and went from there. The most fun for me here was recording each entire part, including the improv solos, from section to section without a stop. It’s ragged at times, for sure, but I enjoyed the challenge of doing full “live” takes. Dedicated to good luck, which got me down a mountain road and home safely one scary night.

3. RUN FOX RUN
This tune has been my most ambitious to date. I put it together last year, trying to create a 3-movement piece with a nudge toward jazz and symphonic elements. I first wrote and recorded the acoustic guitar tracks throughout and then focused everything else on the few main themes, using nearly every instrument I own. Dedicated to my dear parents, who (thank God) are still running strong after all these years.

4. CELEBRATE
I’m actually kind of embarrassed to share this one with you. It was my test tune, begun the first night I received my G four years back. I’d yet to discover the dreaded demo tune and how its automatically changing scenes could affect a new song. The general mushiness was partly the result of the demo tune’s transferred compression and EQ settings, which were driving me nuts. My total lack of digital skills also added a killer dose of mush. But I learned a lot about the G from this messy little rocker. Dedicated to the good times that all of us, all of you at this great forum, share through our love for music.

EQUIPMENT:
The G
M-Audio BX/SBX monitors/sub
Studio Projects B-1 mic
Johnson J-Station guitar processor
Sennheiser HD-280 headphones
Yamaha DD-65 and DD-55 e-drum pads
Casio CTK-671 keyboard

GUITARS:
1960 Guild Starfire IV semi-acoustic electric guitar
1976 Yamaha FG-345 acoustic (steel) guitar
1958 Fender double-neck slide guitar (no pedals)
1964 Gould acoustic (nylon) guitar
2005 Yamaha RBX-170 bass guitar

Last edited by jeffree on Mon May 05, 2008 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:03 am 
The Reverend

I must admit, that after hearing all these anecdotes, I can't wait to hear the final product...Then, we will have the G-mies(similar to the Grammies) and poll what our favorites were/are... =D> =D> =D> =D> And Robbie will host the festivities on youtube... :D Now we just need some categories to vote for...careful RZ...

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:33 am 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Hi,

bokchoy wrote:
I must admit, that after hearing all these anecdotes, I can't wait to hear the final product...Then, we will have the G-mies(similar to the Grammies) and poll what our favorites were/are... =D> =D> =D> =D> And Robbie will host the festivities on youtube... :D Now we just need some categories to vote for...careful RZ...

Nice idea!
Wanna see a (G)rammy for the sloopiest song. That grammy will be mine ... :mrgreen:

Maybe a grammy will have the same mention than 1000 post, so I can get access to .... you know 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:23 am 
Roper

I am absolutely enjoying reading this thread because the stories are coming directly from all of you who contributed to the Comp CD and written in your own words.

Fantastic!

My Contribution:

G Blues is a collaboration between Phil Traynor of St. Petersburg, Florida and myself. Phil had offered up a track of Rythym Guitar, Bass, and Drums as a free for all at HR to grab onto and see where it goes. I recorded a bit of piano, wrote and recorded very silly lyrics about fishing. :D Phil filled in all the major holes on the piano parts.
Phil: Guitar, Bass, Drums, and Piano
Me: Piano, Lyrics, and Vocal

The River is a collaboration between Dan Thompson of South Boston, Virginia and myself.
Dan: Mandolins, Keyboards, and Percussion
Me: Guitar, Bass, Percussion, Lyrics, and Vocals

Harvest Moon is my solo cover of Neil Young’s song.
Neil Young: Lyrics
Me: Single Acoustic Guitar, Mandolin, Harmonica, and Vocal Tracks

Winter is a song I wrote for a couple I know who live in the Great White North of Canada. I imagined the two of them snowbound and stuck inside a cabin for months on end with no apparent end to the winter season.
Phil Traynor, and Rami of Canada collaborated with me on Winter.
Me: 6 Guitar Tracks, Lyrics, and Vocal
Phil: Bass, Drums, and Keyboards
Rami: Guitar Solo

I did have two other song projects in the works…..”Storm” and “Butterfly” that I would have preferred to submit rather than submitting Harvest Moon and Winter but I didn’t complete the two songs before the friggin’ deadline that I had set. :shock: :D

See? I'm hard on myself too. :D I missed the deadline.....my new stuff is out...case closed.

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:48 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
When's the deadline for my mailbox ?

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:08 am 
Roper

mrskygod wrote:
When's the deadline for my mailbox ?

:D

Aren't you the impatient one?

:D :D :D :wink:

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:58 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

I have three songs on the CD (thanks Randy!).

The Ghost of Seven Mile
White Trash Angel
Grow Up

“The Ghost of Seven Mile” is a solo effort I wrote about an abandoned psychiatric hospital near my home (slated for the wrecking ball soon). Whenever I drive past it I think about all of the messed up and painful stuff that probably happened there over the 50 odd years it was open. I intended to write a brutal punk/metal song filled with anguish and lost hope, but it turned out quite different once I got started – more of a lament about how tired that building must be after all that went on inside of it. So yeah…uh, I wrote a song about a building. :oops:

This was my “kitchen sink” song. Everybody has to do one of these to get it out of their systems when suddenly faced with 16 tracks and endless virtuals. It has most of the instruments I own on it – a number of guitars, bass, mandolin, recorder (had to “borrow” it back from my daughter, who was using it in music class), the old, out-of-tune upright piano – even the ancient Korg MS10 synth makes a very brief appearance.

The “rhythm section” is cobbled together from hand-triggered sounds from an old Yamaha drum machine, an egg shaker from the kids’ toy chest, a tambourine struck with a clave (with mucho reverb, for a “snare” sound), and in true kitchen sink fashion, various vinegar and cooking wine bottles played with metal skewers. Some parts of this rhythm approach worked, and some didn’t. Live and learn. :roll:

The vocals were pretty straightforward – a little EQ on one section, but other than that, no EQ or compression – a touch of reverb at mixdown. During the “laughing” bit you might hear something that sounds like a pitch shifted laugh. It’s all analog…..helium. :D The guitar solo over the laughing section was a one take scratch track placeholder that grew on me, so I never replaced it. My daughter makes a brief cameo near the end. :)

The other two songs (“White Trash Angel” and “Grow Up”) are of my perennially-in-limbo band. We were called the Noose, but are changing the name due to the racially charged nature that word has suddenly taken on in the last year or two. That isn’t where our name came from, and it isn’t what we’re about. We are just a group of 40-something friends having some fun (well, our drummer is a rather young, early 30’s guy). These were my first serious attempts at recording a full band piece by piece, and I learned a lot the hard way. Drums were recorded in a sonic disaster of a basement (concrete floor and walls, very low wood rafters) using a spaced overhead pair, along with kick and snare mics. We went direct into the G with POD, Sansamp, etc. for scratch guitars and bass while recording the drum tracks (everybody using headphones). Then over the course of the next year I went to everyone’s house and gradually replaced these scratch tracks with better stuff. My brother and I play guitar – he does the lead on WTA and I do Grow Up. I’m looking forward to doing more recording of the band, but considering we can only manage to get together for practice once or twice a year, who knows when that’ll be? :?

These two songs represent the mellower side of the band. “White Trash Angel” was inspired by a trend in the news several years ago. It seems like there for a while, every other week would bring another news story about a missing child, with seemingly upstanding, middle class parent(s) on the news pleading for information and help. As the stories evolved, it would come out that these were people of questionable character, involved in all sorts of unseemly things, and that in the end it was actually a swinger/pedophile acqaintance that kidnapped/abused/murdered their child. As far as “Grow Up” goes, I suspect it goes to the breakup of our singer’s first marriage, but it could just as easily be about his current one I suppose. I never really asked.

Mics used include AT3035, ATM25, SM57, EV 609s, and Oktava 012 pair. I used the little Art TubeMP preamp that came free with my G on some things, but that was it for outboard recording gear. All songs mixed completely in the box on the G, through Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2a monitors. I didn't get the monitors until mixdown time, so all tracking was done with headphones (senn HD280).

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:14 pm 
Forum Poet

Favourite food: fresh
the story of 'everywhere' as told by mike o:

'Everywhere' is the first songwriting result from a father/daughter writing/performance team. Michael Ososki approached his daughter April to write lyrics for which he might compose music. Being both strong believers in the truth of the message conveyed, her words inspired the music.
After April's first lyric draft, Michael came up with a rough melody and music. Then together, the pair ran through the refine/massage/supplement process typically needed to build a complete, cohesive modern pop song.
April sings lead vocal with Michael on guitar in this version, expertly accompanied by Michael Courter on bass and supplemental instruments, and Frank Valdez on drums. Michael C engineered and co-produced the piece.
The tune came very close to appearing on the 'Give US Your Poor' compilation CD with Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, and other luminaries.