The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:27 am 
THE man!!!

Favourite food: roasted pig snouts
Machine type: AW16G
What pitch/key/notes do you tune yer tom-toms to? Back in the day, when I had ZERO understanding of how music works, I used to tune each drum to where it sounded OK in the context of JUST the drumkit. NOW I see how you might wanna tune the toms to jive with the bass guitar, or in a certain key of tuning.....a pierced-faced knucklehead at fiddle center told me he tuned to C. Currently I have 4 toms(including floors), and they're tuned exactly the same as the bass....E...A...D...G...It seems to be ok, but I was wondering what the general consensus was on the matter :dontknow:

:rr:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:35 am 
The other man !!!

I know DannyCarey (of Tool) tunes his copious collection of toms to D, seeing as how a great many Tool songs are in D.

When I take the time to really tune my drums right I will take both heads all the way off, suspend the shell on a finger and rap on it with a knuckle to hear what its resonance sounds like, keep this in my head while hastily putting the bottom head back on. I try to tune the head to this tone. I then put back the top head and try to match this tone there as well. I suppose next time I should just record each shell's ring, but that would be too smart( :oops: ).

When I am just settling for whatever tuning I keep the skins just maybe a three quarter turn of all the lug nuts above dead. That way they don't ring out too long and have as much low end as possible.

Now,off to try and listen to your Drum N Bass track...

Paint