The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:41 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
Good news is i bought this.

http://www.yamahasynth.com/products/syn ... /motif_xs/

Needless to say it's a beast. It sounds beyond belief for my ears. It also serves as a 16 mono channel audio inteface at 96khz and 24 bit called Mlan16e2. It comes with Cubase and is configured specifically for working with Cubase. It is not as userfriendly as they claim, aspecially if you want it all connect to your pc etc. Good computer knowledge is needed to get it up and running but that is to be expected since this is not a toy.That is the good news.

The bad news is shown in this graph.

I have a latency problem.

The bad news is that if you want to stream such audio you need a system that does not have too much DPC latency. What ? Yes, it took me every evening of the past week to find the cause. Some device or driver is causing my pc to generate DPC spikes. I practical terms. Every four seconds my audi gets interupted for about half a second or more. Not really what i need. Now i have an amazing piece of hardware and it turns out that some obscure design problem in my laptop causes it to have hickups when it needs to perform.

I can't afford to by a new laptop for at least three years or my wife who has been extremely understanding lately will have me shot and trown of the white cliffs of Dover.

So unless if find the cullprit that is causing the hickups and can shut it down i can't use the hardware to it's fullest. Damn.

I'm going to get to know my laptop like i don't want to know it searching arround in it's bowls.

The sunny side of this story is i know where to search and the fact that i have a proffesional sounding piece of kit with which i'll be making music for years to come.

I justed wanted to share this in case anyone else is searching for latency problems.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:49 pm 
Roper

fordirk wrote:
I have a latency problem.

I can't afford to by a new laptop for at least three years or my wife who has been extremely understanding lately will have me shot and trown of the white cliffs of Dover.

Microsoft Windows presents enough latency problems on it's own at times. I've experienced that. Couple Windows with a cheap soundcard such as soundblaster and it gets worse.

Much worse, though, is using laptop computers for recording. From what I've read, (not experienced), it's that laptops are extremely notorious for providing latency problems when used for recording.

Buy yourself a dedicated computer (Windows OS or a Mac) and a good soundcard with reliable D/A converters.

If your wife doesn't agree to that.....thrown her off the cliffs. :mrgreen: Just kidding....kind of....sorta.

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:51 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
That is exactly why I will never use a PC for recording purposes.

The hardware was never designed for that. I know that nowadays computer hardware is fast enough to handle around one thousand channels of 24 bit 96 kHz simulaneously, but compare it to a ferrari - it isn't very fast when the ignition does not work for around 4 seconds every 5 seconds. And then there's an even bigger problem: the operating system. The OS is the link between the applications and the hardware. And Windows is not a real time operating system. It was never designed to handle time dependent tasks. Windows takes the initiative to clean out the garage and take all day when in fact you ordered it to write something down every second. Away goes half a second of your recording.

I don't know what kind of processor is in the G, but at least it's a dedicated machine and it is, I assume, thouroughly tested.

Congrats on your purchase Dirk. I hope you won't run in too many spikes. Try to eliminate the timing issue before you trust it with your musical adventures.

Looking forward to my visit the day after tomorrow. I bought dog cookies :)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:52 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Hiya Randy :wave:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:55 pm 
Roper

Robbie wrote:
Hiya Randy :wave:

Hiya Robbie!!!!!!!!! :hello2:

I took a trip to South Carolina a couple of weeks ago.

I just should post a few pictures. Yes?

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:58 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Yes sir I think you should.

You can upload them in the file exchange section so it will automatically disappear after 30 days of admiration :)

You're making me curious.

How has life been treating you lately?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:19 am 
Roper

Robbie wrote:
How has life been treating you lately?

Life has been treating me very well.

How about you?

Your daughters must be almost as tall as you are by now! :wink:

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:21 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Lotte is less than 1 ft apart from her mom :)

The CT-T is a perfect fit now! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:30 am 
Footswitch Genius

Favourite food: Jarlsberg
Quote:
I bought dog cookies

very thoughtful of you. my dog would love you :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:00 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

I love dogs. Cats as well, and hamsters, cavia's, mice, anything. But dogs are my favourite. And the feeling always seems to be mutual.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:41 pm 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
I have friends running PC based recording systems, and they seem to work well without latency issues. But, I never wanted to take the chance, of running into latency issues. Having a stand-alone recorder made sense to me back in the day. It still makes sense to me today.

I've been playing around a bit more with my 16G and 1600 linked together. The great thing is that I now have 32 tracks to work with. Latency isn't an issue ( at least so far ), as both machines seem to sync together quite well. The G is the slave, and there are some quirks with triggering the G to record, via the footswitch plugged into the 1600. But, it's not to hard to work-around and adapt to those quirks.

With the USB capability on the 1600, interfacing with the PC set up in the studio, is now a breeze. I do use Soundforge to tweak and edit the final stereo mix, so PC's play a roll in my productions. But, I like recording all my tracks on the dedicated recorders, for a variety of reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:59 pm 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
I will always stick with dedicated machines. The thing with computers is that there's always something that needs to be updated or messed about with. Also, because I am getting old and my brain is addled, I am less confused using the AW16g than using software on a computer.

I hope that companies will continue to make dedicated machines like the Yamaha ones. I have actually been looking at possible replacements for my g and nothing I have seen seems to have dedicated dynamics for each track. This is something I make use of all the time on the g. The nearest thing I can find to it is the Tascam 2488 Neo.