The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: EQ for dummies
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:27 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
Sintrade made a great contribution with this link.
It's a great primer on equalizing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

Post subject: Re: EQ for dummies
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:58 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

I took the liberty of adding this to the "good recording sites" sticky in the newbies section as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:14 pm 

Thanks JM.

Byron, could you check the passage on High and LOw pass filters in this link ? I find it a bit confusing as it seems to contradict your earlier explanation. It may be me but i'd like to know for sure wich is wich. I'll be doing some filtering this evening to check myself...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:00 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Here is a quote from a Wikipedia article.

"An ideal low-pass filter completely eliminates all frequencies above the cutoff frequency while passing those below unchanged: its frequency response is a rectangular function, and is a brick-wall filter." So the lows pass the filter. the HPF lets the highs pass, filtering out the lows.

I do agree that the explanation in the article you linked suggests attenuation. In my book this is not the way it works, but I'll search for another explanation. If you are fiddling anyway, set the highpass filter on and then sweep the frequency up. the filtering is obvious as more and more of the lows are eliminated .

As for ways it can be used - obviously the high pass filter set to about 38 Hz will help you eliminate subsonic stuff, that muddies mixes.

Also, I find this filtering function invaluable when tweeking the effects. for eg. Set the HPF (high pass filter) on a reverb or delay edit page to a number + 4000, and set the LPF to Thru. This will block anything below 4 kHz ever making it to the effect and cause everything above 4kHz to be sent through the effect. Dial up the Effect for a lead guitar track that is panned right in the mix and then, on the effect edit page, set the pan for effect's return to left of center, Say L 12 L 4. Listen to the high stuff in the guitar sneak over to the left channel, while the body of the guitar track remains sitting to the right. If you didn't filter and pan it so, the reverb you dial up would be a wash, across the stereo field, as the default panning for the effect presets is usually L16 R16, and the (unfiltered) mid lows would be dominant in the reverb wash. With the filter and pan set as suggested, you can often afford/ need to dial the effected track up more than you might normally.

(The location of these controls is different on the 2400 - I am referring here to the 1600 and I presume the G too)

http://recording.songstuff.com/articles.php?selected=54

Her is a link to a page that explains filtering.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:21 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
when first learning about EQ(and still am), I used to think that sweeping the frequencies "up" meant up volume-wise because I pictured sweeping "visually" up and down(e.g., using software) until I realized that it was really left and right(20-20,000) on my computer screen... :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:06 pm 

bokchoy wrote:
when first learning about EQ(and still am), I used to think that sweeping the frequencies "up" meant up volume-wise because I pictured sweeping "visually" up and down(e.g., using software) until I realized that it was really left and right(20-20,000) on my computer screen... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hi Bokchoy ! That's exactly why i want to start a "for dummies" series. If there is one thing that i learned in my profession it is that two people can have a conversation in which each of 'm thinks he fully understands the other while later on in a project it turns out they had been talking with complete different definitions of the used concepts in mind. I have seen big software projects fail because of this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:54 am 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Machine type: AW1600
Quote:
"An ideal low-pass filter completely eliminates all frequencies above the cutoff frequency while passing those below unchanged: its frequency response is a rectangular function, and is a brick-wall filter."

yep... that's about it. Low pass will allow the low freq's below the cutoff frequencies through and nothing else. High pass lets the highs through above the cutoff frequency. Why do people try to make it so complicated? It's just a frequency gate, low pass stops the highs, high pass stops the lows... And it's on or off at the point of the cutoff freq ( more or less )

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:48 pm 
Boot Polisher

fordirk wrote:
Sintrade made a great contribution with this link.
It's a great primer on equalizing.

That is only part 4 in a six part explanation of EQ. It actually starts here...

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/pro ... tion-tips/

(sorry for the copy & paste address, but I don't know how to do the THIS link!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:36 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
My challenge with this is finding everything in the photo that's being discussed. For instance, at the very beginning it says to look for the on button. I spent way too long looking for it. Then I tried to find the Shelf. Still haven't seen it. What would have helped me would have been circles in each photo to reference the text. I'm much too slow to follow something like that.

rz-land