The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:50 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Slide technique !!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:33 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
Machine type: AW1600
Dirk. Slide, in my experience, is not that hard once you get the technique right...and that takes a lot of work.

Tunings ? The comon ones are Open E, D & G. Some people use Open A but that puts a lot of stress on the neck. My favourites are D (blues) & G (country).

The heavier the gauge of strings, the better the sound

Choose a slide - I like stainless steel, some like brass (I find it catches after it gets a patina, though) or glass. I don't really like the sound of glass but it is worth trying out. I would make one from an old wine bottle rather than buying one. Get a bottle with a long, straight neck, tie some wire around where you want the break to be, throw it in the fire & then put it in some cold water - grind of the rough ends (a concrete step works well). I use a Stevens bar on the lap steel.

Flatpick, finger picks or bare hands ? I play with my fingers (best tone) but use a flat pick for fast stuff

You will struggle playing slide on your strat as the action is too low. The higher the action, the better the sound. You can get a nut raiser but it is a pain to put it on & off. I play slide on an acoustic & use a pick-up to go electric (the action on an acoustic is about as low as you can go). I also use a lap steel. I did have an electric once that I set up for slide (high action, heavy strings) + so it is worthwile buying a real crap guitar as the neck is not that important.

How to play ? This is the tough part. You do not fret notes, but play the string directly over the fret - precision is the key here as a little off sounds way off. You will also need to learn how to mute strings. As you slide down, you get these great overtones from the strings that you have not plucked with your right hand. However, not all the overtones are good & you need to mute the ones you dont want. You do this by touching the strings with your first finger (left hand) - you have your slide on your pinky. I also do a lot of right hand palm muting in combination with left hand muting.

Lastly, always keep your left hand moving. Slide up to notes, down to notes & do a parkinsons disease wobble if you are staying in one place.

Oh, & you will have to learn how to hammer onto a note from an open note without making a nasty string-slap sound.

I would start off using the open strings, the 5th fret, 7th fret & 12th fret. Pretty much any note will work for blues. Get your technique down & see how you go from there.

Because your basic technique has so many components, you can really get your own unique style pretty quickly.

There are many many good slide players but I would listen to Elmore James, Son House, Ry Cooder, Robert Johnson, Johnny Winter & Houndog Taylor for a start. Also, I would start on acoustic & then move to electric. For me, Elmore is the man for electric & Son House is the best acoustic slide player of them all.

It is all about tone and feel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
Hi Dirk,

would be a good idea with a new thread about slide and slide technics.
Open the thread and I will post some nice open tunings ... :D

We can practice slide at HS II, I have a Dobro and an old Yamaha Dreadnough setup for slide at my studio!

Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:09 pm 
Mr. Blues

Hi,

sorry Oscar you posted when I wrote my first post ... :roll:

I agree 100% with Oscars great advices. =D> =D> =D>
I also use 0.13th but prefer to tune the guitar up to openE or openA, because the higher string tension makes it easier to slide accurat. Also you can lower the strings action and if you use the slide on the pinky, you can use the other fingers to hit some strings BEFORE the slide and play some notes different to the position of the slide because the strings can vibrte under the slide (ohoh, not s easy to explain in english for me :oops: :oops: :oops: ).
Very interesting when doing slide with picking. Listen to some Robert Johnson tunes, he often used this technic.

Oh, and dampen the unused strings is very important when playing slide!

Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:36 pm 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
I like slide alot, just never had a spare guitar to raise the strings on so I play it poorly with the strings too low...LOL...

Check me trying on this... I think you'll only get 30 sec though... I can't find the original Mp3...its here somewhere
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/guilty ... mpt=uo%3D4

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:53 pm 
Mr. Blues

Hi Oscar,

Oscar wrote:
Andreas, do you use flatwounds ? I have just started using them + they are great. They feel a bit like fencing wire but the sound is there. Very slick as well

Have not tried flatwounds, but seems to be worth a try. I am using 0,13 Elixier-Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Strings for my Dobro and the Dreadnought I set up for slide. They dont have so shrill highs when using a steel slide and last very long.

Andreas

Post subject: Re: Slide technique !!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:32 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
As a moderator i should know how to move and split topics. Guess i did it. Next time i have to open the thread and tell you first that this is a different topic and that we moved it for clarity.

Let's talk slide ...

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:25 pm 
Mr. Blues

fordirk wrote:
Let's talk slide ...

Ok, here we go ...

Reading Oscars great post about slide again. He told us to start with using the 5th, 7th and 12th fret.

I want to add the 3rd fret. Great if you play in openE or openG some picking without slide and then move with the slide to the 1th and 3rd string in the 3rd fret and then hit the same strings open. A lot of J.L. Hooker mojo ...
I prefer to use a thumb pick and my fingers when sliding.

BTW: Ivan, I cant listen to the music from the link you posted

Slide on
Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:34 pm 
No More Coasters!

I'm envious of you guys, who are playing slide guitar. I've got a variety of glass, brass, steel slides....and I can't play slide guitar worth a shit. Sure, I can grab a slide....mute a string, and get a nice sounding note. But, once things heat up and I have to start moving my slide position.....things go downhill fast!!!

Two of the guys that I jam with are decent slide players. One of the two is quite good on Pedal Steel Guitar as well. He can play it country style.....but when we jam, he runs that baby through a bunch of pedals ( distortion, delay, other shit ) and man.......he makes that thing sing!!!'

I've hopped on his pedal steel a few times. It sounds like a fricken' cat fight at 3am!! I just ain't got the knack!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:50 pm 
Former Computer Geek

Andreas...
Ahhh, I guess itunes has a different deal over there... I'll post some slide work eventually. Search the internet for Billy Shew Band + Guilty and you should find it somewhere. I know I have a copy of it around somewhere..if I find it I'll post it.

-Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:22 am 
Mr. Blues

Ivan,

thank you, will do a google search!

Oh, btw: anyone knows the BIC plastic lighters. I prefer to use them for slide to get a warm slide sound for ballads. Try it, it works fantastic!

Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:53 am 
Former Computer Geek

One of favorite incredibly awesome local slide players uses a spark plug socket... he was able to pick and choose sizes, and it's nice and heavy for a meaty sound. I tried his once and boy was it cool! Give that a try Andreas..

-= Beer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:29 am 
Finds Manual Useful

I have used a socket wrench (an old trick) put found it too heavy but you are right, ,Beer, it makes a good sound. It also gives a lot of stability. In order to get the stability without the weight, I wrap my pinky in one of my wife's make up remover pads & jam it into a standard stainless steel slide. That way you get a real tight fit.

You can use almost anything. I think that Duanne Allman used a medicine bottle. I have used a Bic lighter when I had nothing else....knives also work well in a pinch. Even a mic.

I have always loved pedal steel but to get both hands, feet & knees working together seems a bit too complicated. You can approximate some of the pedal steel tricks on a lap steel or even a regular guitar by using a volume pedal to get the swells & getting bends by pushing down on the strings & sliding into the note. Tremolo set to a very slow speed is also useful, as is a bit of echo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:36 am 
Mr. Blues

Oscar wrote:
Tremolo set to a very slow speed is also useful, as is a bit of echo.

Yeah, a touch of reverb and a tubeamp driven on the sweet spot ... :D

for my Dobro I have placed a Fishman piezo under the cone (hard work to put a hole in the body for the input). Nice sounding for clean played slide and picking if I use a decent preamp and cut a lot of highs and high mids. Feedback is a problem on higher volumes.

This piezo sounds terrible with a guitar amp. So I plan to cut a big hole in for an P90. So I can use 2 sound systems for different styles. Or I ask my wife what she thinks about a second Dobro ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:26 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Yes, Andreas....tons of reverb.

For slide, I have a cheap Semour Duncan soundhole pickup that I keep in my acoustic (Fender El Cheapo). If I want an acoustic sound, I mic the guitar up. For an electric sound, I plug into an amp, which gives me something like a 335 sound. I also find that tuning is more accurate via the pick-up. I have a chunk of foam that I jam in the soundhole if I think feedback will be an issue.

I have used this set-up for years & it has served me well.

A mate of mine played a National steel (nickel ?) guitar. From memory it had a piezo & some kind of single coil pick-up that he could choose between. At gigs, he always played through a Trace Elliot amp that he swore by. It always sounded great. it sounded best of all miced up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:44 pm 
No More Coasters!

One of my favorite slide players, is Canadian Artist Harry Manx. Harry plays a variety of stringed instruments with a slide, and one of my fav's is Harry's home-made cigar box guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/suemcmurtrie2#p/ ... w-7oZuA8Tw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:50 pm 
The General

I'm a terrible slide guitar player.

Doesn't stop me from doing it though.

Reminds me, I have an unfinished tune that has me playing slide on it. Gotta finish that one sometime soon.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:07 am 
Former Computer Geek

Sheee-it, I think we have the makings of the next song to get massacred. Everyone gets to try out some slide! And if you're on a keyboard, you should have to approximate slide the best you can! LOL...

-= Beer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:42 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

You got it, Beer. If I get time I will do a backing track for everyone to butcher.

How about an easy blues like key to the highway or something like it ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:45 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
Good idea. I subscribe and i'll try both keyboard and guitar ! :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:11 pm 
The General

Oscar wrote:
You got it, Beer. If I get time I will do a backing track for everyone to butcher.

How about an easy blues like key to the highway or something like it ?

We should do that and have an award for best solo playing only one note.

Blues in its purest form, raw emotion. Just bending (though bending is actually straying from the one note), pick technique and vibrato.

Who's down with that?

Gary