The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Erasing virtual tracks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:25 pm 
City Slicker

Favourite food: Mexican
Machine type: AW1600
Hey guys,
I know this is simple, but I am running out of space on my hard drive and need to erase some virtual tracks in order to gain more recording time. What's the best way to do this without affecting the good tracks or keepable tracks.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:39 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
If you don't need the virtual tracks an longer, export the currently selected virtuals as a group to the Transport folder. set up a new song and import the group to the new song. Once you are sure you have what you want - delete the original song.

Better yet, before you delete it, make a copy of the song folder to you PC via USB. Then if you ever want something in the virtuals you will still have it.

Sounds like you are not backing up your stuff, and you are using your 1600 as your primary storage device. You would be well advised to explore options to back up your work. with the 1600 you can make sets of discs, as 16G users must (their only option) or you can use the 1600 as an external drive and see it on your PC via USB, just as you would a digital camera.

Hook up USB > connect to PC via Utility button dialog > open My computer (PC) > drag and drop the song you wish to archive from Song folder (could be in either of the two partitions on the AW drive) > If you want, get an external drive to dedicate to this process. Attach it to the PC and Open it at the same time as the AW window is open > Drag and drop to this drive.

Store really important stuff in two places.

clean up your AW > reformat perhaps (see Robbie - someone else can recommend this too!)

Your machine will run smoothly and more efficiently if your HD is not clogged with old projects.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:34 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
Good info from Byron.

Be aware that merely doing EDIT-DELETE on the virtual tracks you do not want, might not reduce the size of the song, even after Optimizing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:02 am 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
To add to what Ralph says, you will need to optimize the song to see any file size benefit. What we've found is that if you delete entire tracks, then optimize tends to work pretty well reducing file size, but if you delete just segments of tracks, it doesn't tend to help much.