The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:52 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi guys,

For the Americans: in a couple of weeks (august 21 to be precise) there will be a total solar eclipse in the USA.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/defa ... index.html

If you have the opportunity to travel to get in the 100% zone... do it. If your location has a 99% eclipse, it's nowhere near the 100% experience.

I've witnessed a total eclipse in Hungary, in august 1999. The day darkened gradually as if the weather changed. But the last 20 seconds it went really fast, as if someone closed a door in a room without windows. And this happened while we were outside in a rural area. After about two minutes we saw the sunlight coming towards us over a fel hills, many kilometers away from us. That lasted a few seconds and there it was again... daylight.

It'll be an experience you'll never forget.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:28 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
I was not in a position to travel to the area of totality, but certainly would've loved to. However, I am lucky enough to work under a skylight and the sun was hitting my desk during the eclipse. I picked up a piece of paper, made a tiny hole in it with a pin, held the paper in the sun over my desk and admired the little crescent shape the sunlight made through the pinhole onto my desk. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
While we didn't get the total eclipse of the sun, we had about an 80% coverage. At the last minute we were given the proper glasses and we were able to see the moon pass in front of the sun. It was nice, but rather uneventful IMPO. Nashville which is 3 hours NE had the total. That looked pretty cool.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:24 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
I'm on my annual travel session in my camper. I was due at my cousin’s in Dillon, Montana the day after the eclipse. I had been hanging out in southeast Idaho so I could be in or near the 100-percent zone for the big day and found a great camping spot just outside of the 100-percent zone.

The day of the eclipse someone came in and setup their small telescope. The telescope projected a sun image onto a piece of paper allowing me to get some good pictures. I also had a nice conversation with them during the whole event.

I was in a 99-percent area and it only got as dark as it would be at dusk. It got noticeably cooler. It was a really neat experience. No unusual musical sounds, though. :)

I left the day after the eclipse, so I didn’t encounter any traffic nightmares.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:07 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Not much to see up here, just a tad south of the 45th parallel. At the time of total, happening much further south, it got a bit dimmer here, I think. But it was not much different than some cloud obscuring the sun perhaps. There did seem to be change in quality of the light, similar to what might be seen before an extreme storm/wind event. ??? I am not really sure what to have expected, but we were watching.