The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:18 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:33 pm 
City Slicker

hi... the HDD of my G (aw16G) is frozen...anyone know what disk should i buy?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:04 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
By "Inthefrey" of the awinspire forum:

MANY, MANY thanks to the kind folks at Yamaha Support who made this tutorial possible.

AW16G HARD DRIVE REPLACEMENT AND OS UPGRADE

Let’s get the legal stuff out of the way right off.

I AM NOT A QUALIFIED YAMAHA SERVICE TECHNICIAN. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE PERFORM THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ON THEIR AW16G.

This tutorial is strictly meant for information ONLY. If you wish to proceed, I am in no way liable for YOUR ACTIONS. If you blow your system up by following my half-witted, brainless instructions, so be it! Don’t go crying to Yamaha that some guy on the internet TOLD ME TO DO THIS. They will basically say, “Gee we’re awful sorry about that!” (Click! - dial tone)

BEFORE YOU BEGIN!
You will need the latest OS 1.06 from Yamaha Support.

Here we go!

Please refer to the "Pictorial Tutorial"

Step 1
Make sure the CDRW drive is empty and the power is unplugged from the unit before you begin. There are dozens of static-sensitive components inside this unit. Again, if you are doing this, you should know better. A wrist ground strap is a wonderful thing!
(Follow along with the Pictorial Tutorial)

Stand the unit on its left side with the CDRW up. (see picture)

Step 2, 3, 4 and 5

Remove the 10 chassis screws from the case bottom
(note: You do not remove ANY buttons or knobs)

Remove the bezel from the CDRW
Note: The screw that holds this plastic bezel is a machine screw, NOT a self tapping screw.

Remove the 3 chassis screws on the rear of the unit.

Note: Now is the time to start being really careful. The upper half of the unit with all the knobs, sliders and controls is extremely top heavy. It will fall if it is bumped and could destroy the LDC, knobs or anything if it lands hard. Be careful!

Step 6 and 7

Separate the 2 halves of the unit AT THE REAR about 2 inches ONLY! There are ribbon cables connecting the 2 halves.

Disengage the lip edge from the front and draw the CDRW out only enough to clear the slot.

Set the 2 halves next to each other. Notice the ribbion cables THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO DISTURB!

Step 8 and 9

From the front of the unit, lower the bottom chassis to the right, onto your work area - constantly mindful of the cables.

Notice the location of the HDD and CDRW components.

Step 10 and 11

Remove the 4 screws holding the HDD to the caddy. You will need a long-shafted screw driver to remove the back-left screw. Be careful not to damage the voltage regulator.

Step 12 and 13

Remove the old HDD by carefully pulling STRAIGHT BACK! If you pull up on it, you'll destroy it along with your system!

Step 14

Install the new HDD.

Be especially careful to line-up the pins correctly. Should you bend one, it's all over. Take your time.
Note: Yamaha does not recommend anything larger than a 40g drive as the internal components of the AW16G may not handle the added current load.

Step 15

Repalce the screws holding the drive on the caddy.

You can now re-assemble the unit.

Note: If some thing doesn't seem to fit correctly, DON'T force it! Do not tighten any screws unitil you have started them all! The 2 halves of the case will "seek" a correct aligment once all of the screws have been replaced. Only then it is okay to tighten everything up.

Okay! Now for the magic!

Plug the AW16G power adapter into the unit. It will boot with the Yamaha logo.

INSERT THE YAMAHA-PROVIDED CD and close the drive.

Power the unit OFF
Note: I do not know what would happen if you should perform this operation WITHOUT An OS DISK IN THE DRIVE! It may scrub a working system!

Step 16, 17 and 18

While holding the SONG and REMOTE buttons down, turn the unit on.

Keep holding the bottons. Once the cycle has started, you can release them. You will see the following prompt while the OS boots from the CDROM:

AW16G UPDATER
Checking HDD...
LOADING OS FROM CDROM...

Once the OS has loaded, you will be given an option to UPDATE to the new OS. Press ENTER to continue and CANCEL to exit.

(cross your fingers!)

Once the unit has finished, remove the CDROM and restart the unit. If all is well, you should now have twice the storage as before and a new OS.

The replacement drive used was:
Hitachi TravelStar 4K40
HTS424040M9AT00

Special Note: DO NOT FORMAT THIS DRIVE OR FDISK IT IN A WINDOWS MACHINE BEFORE INSTALING IT! IT MUST BE NEW/ VIRGIN WITHOUT ANY OS OR FORMAT PARTITION OF ANY KIND!

Best of luck!

John
inthefrey/cranberryuplink

I don't think the mentioned HD is original, but it works. The original is a 20 Gb 2.5" Travelstar, but I don't know the type number. You can get the update from a sticky in the Bugs section.

Hope this helps.

Robbie

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:33 am 
Harry the Spaceman

Favourite food: small children
Yup, Robbie's on the money with that post, and there is a list of drives that you can use somewhere on the web.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:38 pm 
Lone Star

Hi Robbie

I have the same problem with my AW16G as you describe. Have tried it once before, the kostedet me 600 Eu. I had to buy the Yamaha directly. They would not help, said I had to buy the original and not to put a 40G in the machine [-X .

I really really need help with my aw16g, using it on live jobs and HD and all 20G is exhausted and there is a bad sector on it, so it is urgent.

But I can not find the OS version (1.06) you describe. Can you help me with a direct link or a close description of an OS version, so I can find it on the Yamaha support.

At Yamaha support, I can only find firmwaer on the other AW HD.

forgive my poor English text

Hope you can help me ....! [-o<

Best regards,
Poul Foxx

Robbie wrote:
By "Inthefrey" of the awinspire forum:

MANY, MANY thanks to the kind folks at Yamaha Support who made this tutorial possible.

AW16G HARD DRIVE REPLACEMENT AND OS UPGRADE

Let’s get the legal stuff out of the way right off.

I AM NOT A QUALIFIED YAMAHA SERVICE TECHNICIAN. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE PERFORM THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ON THEIR AW16G.

This tutorial is strictly meant for information ONLY. If you wish to proceed, I am in no way liable for YOUR ACTIONS. If you blow your system up by following my half-witted, brainless instructions, so be it! Don’t go crying to Yamaha that some guy on the internet TOLD ME TO DO THIS. They will basically say, “Gee we’re awful sorry about that!” (Click! - dial tone)

BEFORE YOU BEGIN!
You will need the latest OS 1.06 from Yamaha Support.

Here we go!

Please refer to the "Pictorial Tutorial"

Step 1
Make sure the CDRW drive is empty and the power is unplugged from the unit before you begin. There are dozens of static-sensitive components inside this unit. Again, if you are doing this, you should know better. A wrist ground strap is a wonderful thing!
(Follow along with the Pictorial Tutorial)

Stand the unit on its left side with the CDRW up. (see picture)

Step 2, 3, 4 and 5

Remove the 10 chassis screws from the case bottom
(note: You do not remove ANY buttons or knobs)

Remove the bezel from the CDRW
Note: The screw that holds this plastic bezel is a machine screw, NOT a self tapping screw.

Remove the 3 chassis screws on the rear of the unit.

Note: Now is the time to start being really careful. The upper half of the unit with all the knobs, sliders and controls is extremely top heavy. It will fall if it is bumped and could destroy the LDC, knobs or anything if it lands hard. Be careful!

Step 6 and 7

Separate the 2 halves of the unit AT THE REAR about 2 inches ONLY! There are ribbon cables connecting the 2 halves.

Disengage the lip edge from the front and draw the CDRW out only enough to clear the slot.

Set the 2 halves next to each other. Notice the ribbion cables THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO DISTURB!

Step 8 and 9

From the front of the unit, lower the bottom chassis to the right, onto your work area - constantly mindful of the cables.

Notice the location of the HDD and CDRW components.

Step 10 and 11

Remove the 4 screws holding the HDD to the caddy. You will need a long-shafted screw driver to remove the back-left screw. Be careful not to damage the voltage regulator.

Step 12 and 13

Remove the old HDD by carefully pulling STRAIGHT BACK! If you pull up on it, you'll destroy it along with your system!

Step 14

Install the new HDD.

Be especially careful to line-up the pins correctly. Should you bend one, it's all over. Take your time.
Note: Yamaha does not recommend anything larger than a 40g drive as the internal components of the AW16G may not handle the added current load.

Step 15

Repalce the screws holding the drive on the caddy.

You can now re-assemble the unit.

Note: If some thing doesn't seem to fit correctly, DON'T force it! Do not tighten any screws unitil you have started them all! The 2 halves of the case will "seek" a correct aligment once all of the screws have been replaced. Only then it is okay to tighten everything up.

Okay! Now for the magic!

Plug the AW16G power adapter into the unit. It will boot with the Yamaha logo.

INSERT THE YAMAHA-PROVIDED CD and close the drive.

Power the unit OFF
Note: I do not know what would happen if you should perform this operation WITHOUT An OS DISK IN THE DRIVE! It may scrub a working system!

Step 16, 17 and 18

While holding the SONG and REMOTE buttons down, turn the unit on.

Keep holding the bottons. Once the cycle has started, you can release them. You will see the following prompt while the OS boots from the CDROM:

AW16G UPDATER
Checking HDD...
LOADING OS FROM CDROM...

Once the OS has loaded, you will be given an option to UPDATE to the new OS. Press ENTER to continue and CANCEL to exit.

(cross your fingers!)

Once the unit has finished, remove the CDROM and restart the unit. If all is well, you should now have twice the storage as before and a new OS.

The replacement drive used was:
Hitachi TravelStar 4K40
HTS424040M9AT00

Special Note: DO NOT FORMAT THIS DRIVE OR FDISK IT IN A WINDOWS MACHINE BEFORE INSTALING IT! IT MUST BE NEW/ VIRGIN WITHOUT ANY OS OR FORMAT PARTITION OF ANY KIND!

Best of luck!

John
inthefrey/cranberryuplink

I don't think the mentioned HD is original, but it works. The original is a 20 Gb 2.5" Travelstar, but I don't know the type number. You can get the update from a sticky in the Bugs section.

Hope this helps.

Robbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:53 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Hiya Foxx,

Welcome to the forum.

You can find the OS (v1.06) for the AW16G on the docs page:

http://docs.dijonstock.com

A direct link would be: http://docs.dijonstock.com/AW16PROG.bin

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:18 am 
Lone Star

hi
says a great many thanks =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Poul Foxx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:49 pm 
Lone Star

Hi Robbie
I have burned Bin file OS 1.06 version of the CD. I have followed your instructions to update my AW16G.
The update is running perfectly - I turn off the machine - power On

When I check the OS version on the AW16G subsequent says the Version 1.02 and not 1.06 :idea: ????????

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:51 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

That's weird. The only thing I can imagine is that you didn't end the update procedure properly. Lots of times, firmware update procedures appear to be complete which results in premature user intervention... I'd probably just do it again and let it go for another 15 minutes or so, even though it says it's done. Then, power off, unplug the machine, two coffees and a cheese sandwich (any type of cheese will do except for cheddar), plug the machine back in, switch it on and see what happens.

Please keep us posted, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:57 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Robbie wrote:
premature user intervention...

Errrrrr I think they can treat that now Rob

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:15 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

I understand the language, but I'll never understand the culture...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:59 am 
Lone Star

Hi Robbie

I know why I could not upgrade my AW16G. The hard drive I installed was not a clean disk. There was deleted partitions. :^o

I have upgraded my hard drive and everything is working perfect. With a Samsung 40G at 5200 rpm. :wink:

My Aw16G still works with a 20G and 40G =D>

But it is strange when I check the version says it is still version 1.02 (can be controlled by: power OF - Utility press and hold and turn the power ON)

I then tried to put the CD (Bin-File) and started from scratch, it says the version 1.6 is installed. :?:

I do not think it is firmware of the machine upgraded, but only software on the hard disk.

Can it be possible to fit the USB on the motherboard and, if so, how. :idea:

Best regards,
Poul Foxx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:32 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Hi Poul,

There are actually two sets of software on the G: the operating system and the application software. We often refer to the application software as "OS", but strictly speaking that is not correct. The actual OS is embedded software and has a version number like 1.02 (mine is 1.00, and the Yammie calls it 'boot OS'). The BIN file on the CD is application software and is upgraded to 1.06 when you perform the procedure.

Pressing the utility button while switching the machine on gives you the boot OS, another button (can't recall that now, but other people will know) gives the actual G software (the application software) number.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:58 pm 
City Slicker

Hello All,

As time goes on it will be harder to find a compatible drive.

FYI: I found some at compuvest.com
http://www.compuvest.com/Search.jsp?Sea ... 1001845-02

At $54.00 I purchased two - cheap insurance if you ask me :-)

BTW: The original drive works fine thus far but it is full and I figured why back all this up when I could swap it out for a new one.

John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:58 am 
Welcome to the Forum!

Favourite food: chicken
Machine type: AW1600
this is the wrong spot for sure, but it's the first page on google when typing "reassemble aw1600". so congratulations for first place!
I had to replace the top motherboard for my aw 1600, but when I go to set the top cover on, the top mother board doesn't sit high enough to pop back into the holes.... I've looked around and I can't find how it's supposed to sit properly. any suggestions? thx!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:50 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Hi Brice,

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe this can be of help. Dissection of the G.

It's all we got. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:44 pm 
Welcome to the Forum!

Favourite food: chicken
Machine type: AW1600
thanks rob. that ones a different looking model than mine, but it's k, I has an idea!