The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 9:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: link/read errors
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:58 pm 
City Slicker

yesterday I worked on a song for hours and I was really happy with the result but silly me didnt back up. Anyway later I decided to load another song which I had backed up on cd. Then when I went back to the first song it was totally f*cked up. There were samples from song two and parts of music tracks had replaced vocal samples and parts of vocal tracks were missing. It was irretrievable. I was devastated but learnt a valuable lesson. Anyway I did a check and got few read and a lot of link errors. So I retrieved what I could and then formatted the disk. Later on I reloaded the song and rerecorded my vox again etc and then I pasted some vocal parts in to the sample pads. Then I listened back and one of the samples was audible on a track over the top of my vocal?? So I erased the sample but it was still on the track. I did another check and got read and link errors again. I resaved my song and formatted again. Then I reloaded my song and did another check. I didnt have any errors this time. I hope Its not something serious. It appears to be a sampler problem, I dont know? Anyone else had similar problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:51 am 
Cowhand

The only real glitch I have had is when I recorded about 8 songs with two takes of each song and 8 inputs all into ONE SONG ON THE G. When I played it back, some of the drums were kind of skippy sounding.

Dont know how that helps you, but i feel your pain.

I wonder if its related to the restoring of a song from cd when your disk is fragmented ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:31 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
save and back up............

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:23 pm 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
Check out my posting "Is this a link file error" and others under random reboot and machine freeze.

I have had lots of random reboots but never had the situation you described - until last week. I too was absolutely devastated as I had saved it with the glitches. I had recorded nothing new in this session or loaded other songs, only used the editor to clean up tracks. Fortunately, I was able to restore it from a backup I made the night before.

However, that was a heart stopping moment also as I have previously had restores which didn't load the right parts into the right places, or had parts missing. I am now so nervous, I

. save/optimise to HD after each successful take
. play the song right through before saving after edit, not just the part I have edited
. back up to CD every hour during a session so I can restore to at least some previous point

Doesn't do much for the creative process but I am relieved to find that others have had the same problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:26 am 
City Slicker

guitarman wrote:
Check out my posting "Is this a link file error" and others under random reboot and machine freeze.

I have had lots of random reboots but never had the situation you described - until last week. I too was absolutely devastated as I had saved it with the glitches. I had recorded nothing new in this session or loaded other songs, only used the editor to clean up tracks. Fortunately, I was able to restore it from a backup I made the night before.

However, that was a heart stopping moment also as I have previously had restores which didn't load the right parts into the right places, or had parts missing. I am now so nervous, I

. save/optimise to HD after each successful take
. play the song right through before saving after edit, not just the part I have edited
. back up to CD every hour during a session so I can restore to at least some previous point

Doesn't do much for the creative process but I am relieved to find that others have had the same problem.

I read your post and it sounds like the same kind of problem. I now also optimise and save every five minutes and back up after every session, which I didnt always do before because I find it really boring and slow. I also have slowed down my editing more as I think that pressing too many buttons too quickly causes my G to freeze or crash, I havent had any more probs as yet, touch wood. Thanks for the tips everyone, I am so glad this site is here, I would be lost without it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:30 am 
Cowhand

lateley, Ive been exportin all the tracks and pad data from my songs to cd/rw and loading onto the computer. I can then put multiple songs (in wave format) onto one cd. Not because of any glitches or anything, just because i dont want to be stuck not getting to my files if my g craps out or if I upgrade or change my recording setup in the future.
I used to own a 12 track akai, but I traded it for some other gear and now i have a bunch of disks with akai projects on em....good thing I mixed down and burned audio disks of most of the stuff I wanted to keep.

I have been thinking about trying that awextract program, but im pretty sure that just converts the files to wavs anyway. So why spend the time exporting AND converting ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:47 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
exporting only prints the selected tracks

AWextract converts all the tracks including the virtual tracks that have data in the 2816 backup mode.
It also ignores tracks with no data.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.