The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:12 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: midi drifts aaaah!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:10 am 
City Slicker

I use an akai mpc2000xl sequencer with my G and Every now and then for some unknown reason they drift out of time slightly. Everything will be fine for like 3 months and then it happens again. Last time I noticed it happened if I used the safe button on G when recording. So i stopped using it and all was fine. Now its happening again but I didnt use the safe button this time. Im currently back up everything before I format the disk again to see if this helps. I recall once before it did but another time made no diff. Ive checked all the settings and looked in troubleshooting in manual but cant understand what the prob is. I use G as master and my akai as slave. Akai has same frame set and mtc on. Any help is appreciated . Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:03 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
My 4416 is tha master and my G the slave. They drift as much as 150ms apart at times. I have tried adding time , deleting time but it has a mind of it's own. Drift between my Yamaha sequencer and the 4416 varies from dead nuts to as much as 40 50 ms sometimes. I just go and correct the errors by editing at measures after the fact . It's pretty easy to hear when it slips so I just go the the waveform display make a mark on the beat and another at the beginning slipped track and delete the difference.
I have been syncing mutliple sequencer tracks in this way for awhile.

On a side note , I have found that cheap midi cables contribute to problems like this among others.

Crude but it works.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:54 pm 
Boot Polisher

I have found that if you could set your MP to external clock mode instead of MTC it would not drift at all. At least it doesnt with my sampler (not an akai though). If you dont have and external clock mode then oh well cant help you.

Post subject: ex clock?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:02 pm 
City Slicker

CEOwner wrote:
I have found that if you could set your MP to external clock mode instead of MTC it would not drift at all. At least it doesnt with my sampler (not an akai though). If you dont have and external clock mode then oh well cant help you.

Im not sure exactly what you mean by external clock mode. On the mp I can have- mtc with a frame rate , mmc on(which is how I have it). Or midi clock(shift ms). I tried with midi clock on and it made no difference.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:10 pm 
City Slicker

mrskygod wrote:
My 4416 is tha master and my G the slave. They drift as much as 150ms apart at times. I have tried adding time , deleting time but it has a mind of it's own. Drift between my Yamaha sequencer and the 4416 varies from dead nuts to as much as 40 50 ms sometimes. I just go and correct the errors by editing at measures after the fact . It's pretty easy to hear when it slips so I just go the the waveform display make a mark on the beat and another at the beginning slipped track and delete the difference.
I have been syncing mutliple sequencer tracks in this way for awhile.

On a side note , I have found that cheap midi cables contribute to problems like this among others.

Crude but it works.

Ill try the midi cables although I have swapped over three times and it made no difference but I guess there is a possibility they are all cheap and therefore faulty? I dont know about fixing the error by editing, I shouldnt have to do that, Id rather get to the root of the problem but if Im desperate I guess I could try. I find it really difficult figuring out the numbers. eg. if the beat starts at one point and then the next track i record is not on the beat, how do I figure out how much to edit if I dont know how much out of time it is etc. I understand if both tracks are meant to start at the same point but not if they dont? Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:53 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
MTC is midi clock. (midi time code)
MMC is midi machine code (for transport control)

My connections are MMC , The G doesn't seem to speak midi clock like my sequencers do.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.