The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:25 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Skipping
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:01 am 
Dude

Hi all - haven't been here for a while but been really enjoying the "G".

I've been using it to record the band I'm in with really good results now. (Took a while to get a good drum sound and am learning all the time - the net is a GREAT source for recording).

I've recently encounted a skipping problem. After recording when playing back parts of the song skip. I'm guessing I should back up and reformat - is this the right thing to do ? Has anyone else encounted this. (I do a check disk and come up with no error).

Also now when I'm burning finished songs I can do 1 copy but when I try to do another it burns ok but locks at the end of the burn with 100% complete on screen. I have to turn the "G" off and on to unlock. Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

KF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:05 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi KF,

I think it is a good thing to backup and reformat. There's no defrag utility so it is the only way. I do it every now and then.

I can't help you with the lock with 100% on the screen, I'm sure you tried the obvious things (restart the G). Maybe this problem is also solved after a reformat.

Good luck

Robbie

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:07 am 
Calf Cutter

Sometimes reformating does wonders for those little issues that pop up now and then. Momm always said, "Keep your disk clean". :lol:

Post subject: Thanks but ...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:32 am 
Dude

Thanks Guys - just backed up my songs and did a re-format.

Only question is it took about 3 seconds - shouldn't a re-format take ages ?

It takes longer to delete a song !!

Is this normal ?

Thanks in advance

KF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:38 am 
Calf Cutter

Yes, that's normal. As with other disk drives, a reformat only erases directory list (pointers/whatever they're called) which tells the OS that the drive is empty. Quick! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:36 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Yep, quick is normal. It is what SirN says. Deleting a song means it has to alter the administration, remaining it for the biggest part. Reformatting simply replaces the administration by a new one.

Very Quick! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:10 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

I had this happen to me a couple of times when recording my band, but never when working by myself. It never seemed to have anything to do with how recently I reformatted or anything, so I guessed that it was caused during recording because I had the G set up right next to the drums. I've taken to moving it a little ways away from the drums and providing a little shock isolation between the stand and the floor. Haven't had that problem since. Does anybody know if hard drives operate in such a manner as to cause skipping while recording if they are bumped or vibrate, or did I not really fix the problem and it just hasn't happened again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:57 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Although modern harddisk are quite shock resistant, they are not made to operate in a "hostile" environment. Sometimes when a student of mine bangs his fist on the table in a computer room because something is not working, I immediately tell him he will never be a good computer engineer. Then they ask me why (for some reasong, they alwasy ask 8) ). Then I explain about what shocks can do to a hard disk, and how people that should understand often fail to see it.

Harddisks are still precision technology, and keeping it away from the drums is a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:52 pm 
Calf Cutter

I recall 10 years ago, working at Maxtor (disk drive manufactuer), hearing about Flash Memory and how it would end the Disk Drive era.

It's a great idea and slowly getting more capacity, but with disk drives getting around a terrabyte, I doubt they'll ever go away.