The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:56 pm 
Welcome to the Forum!

Machine type: AW1600
G'Day All.
This is my first post so please be gentle.
Whilst the AW1600 is not a total mystery to me, I am by no means an expert.
I recently recorded an orchestral concert with 8 tracks of approximately 210 mins. I think I should first explain that rather than starting a “new” session, in error I continued recording an existing session of about 180 mins.

We stopped recording at half time. The first half recording was fine, no problems at all. About 18 mins into the second half however there is some kind of glitch every second. To me it sounds like a 40-50 millisecond grab of audio from somewhere else in the track. The sound being inserted sounds similar to the track being recorded but it’s coming from somewhere else in the timeline. This “effect” is happening on all 8 tracks at the same place.
I have a backup recording but it is no where as good as what would have been on the AW1600
I have been given to understand, (by a well meaning teenage amateur) that the AW1600 records tiny packages of data and puts then together later to create the .wav file. Is it possible to recover that data to fix my problem or do I have to put this down to experience? Also how can I avoid this in the future?
I look forward to hearing from someone who can help me. Many thanks. Jason. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:18 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Jason, welcome to the forum.

We're all gentle. :)

First, how big is the project on your HD? If it's possible, make a copy of it and see what happens in the copy. Have you optimized the song?

You have the aw1600 so you have usb connectivity. When you transfer your sound files to PC, what do they sound like?

Have you tried disconnecting the aw1600 from power for some time and then restart the machine? Given the fact it's a microprocessor based system which can have registers in illegal states this sometimes helps.

This is the best I can come up with, but there are a lot of people here that know more about the aw1600, so let's see if there are any more ideas. I hope you'll get it solved.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:53 am 
Welcome to the Forum!

Machine type: AW1600
G'Day Robbie
Many thanks for your prompt reply.
The project is just over 10 Gig
I tried making a copy but the problem is still there.
Sorry I don't what you mean by "optimize the song".
I have xfered the sound files to my PC and injested them into my Avid MC. The problem is there as well.
I have restarted the machine.

I have clients with me at the moment but I'll have a look at this optimizing a little later.
Many Thanks. Jason.
P.S. I never change my mind. I might make a new decision but I never change my mind.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:03 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Look at page 148 of the manual <- click to see what the optimize is about.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:38 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
HI Jason,
welcome here :) and sorry for your troubles ](*,) .

Robbie's suggestions are surely first to try, but u say this did not clean your existing recording. I'd also try merge function, and the last one is - format disc... Well, leave this for next time :D

Did U use digital input when recording, or did U change any audio digital settings in utility menu? This kind of glitch sometimes happens when wrong clock or sync.

Jason@JTV wrote:
there is some kind of glitch every second. To me it sounds like a 40-50 millisecond grab of audio from somewhere else in the track. The sound being inserted sounds similar to the track being recorded but it’s coming from somewhere else in the timeline. This “effect” is happening on all 8 tracks at the same place.

About cleaning existing glitch from recording:
Is this "glitch" the same on all 8 tracks - time, sound, duration, level...are all equal like clones?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:57 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
10 gig is rather large for a single project. I don't think there is a max song size on the 1600. there is on the G I believe. This said it would be my guess that you have to chalk this up to experience.

Using the merge function on the tracks is a good suggestion. Not sure optimizing would be the answer - give it a try though. If the problems started after the break in the concert, but there are now glitches in the first half of the session, you can use the undo list to eliminate the latter part of the recording and see if the first half could be restored this way. the only rub is that optimizing erases the undo list, so try the undo before the optimizing.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:35 am 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
Hi,
I remember to have the same problem long time ago with a 8GB-recording, when I owned the AW1600.
The problem appears when I did some editing with the problem. After using the merge-function all went well.

HTH
Andreas