The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 am 
Dude

Favourite food: ossobucco
Machine type: AW16G
Hello Everybody-
I had a new Toshiba 40GB 2190 2.5" HDD installed with the OS 1.06 upgrade. I imported wavs from an earlier project and everything seemed to be OK and playback was clean. I then recorded band practice, using 6 tracks and all functions appeared to be working fine. On playback, there are 'skips' or 'glitches' in the individual tracks at different times. Any ideas on what the problem is?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:24 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
I hope I'm wrong and I probably am, but this gives me the idea that the HD is not fast enough.

What happens if you only record two tracks? If that works well, add a third track? Etc... if crossing a specific number of tracks shows this malfunction, it probably is a throughput speed problem.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:24 pm 
Dude

Thanx for your reply- The 2190's rotational speed is 4200 rpm, same as the original Hitachi Travelstar. The techs @ Yamaha recommended this model and said it is compatible w/ the OS uprade. I was having the same problem before the new Hdd was installed ('skips' or 'glitches' during recording/playback). This might indicate that it's something other than the Hdd. Formatting the old Hdd temporarily fixed the problem, but that was required after every couple of sessions, hence the replacement.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:55 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Are you using any effects ? Have you tried dissabling all of them ? Is anything connected to midi in any way ? Disconnect everything except for the power adapter. If you are technical you could check out all cables. A bad contact could cause problems although it's unlikely.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:26 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Given your information it obviously isn't the HD itself.

My bet is on the cables inside the machine.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:04 am 
Dude

"Cables inside" sounds a bit portentous. The Hdd can be easily identified, but there must be miles (sic) of cable in this thing. I have this vision of the time I was tracing wires to find a short in my '70 Nova, can be very simple or a nightmare. That turned into a nightmare. Anyway to narrow that down to a likely culprit? Haven't had the chance to run full throttle so there could be more than one ghost in this machine, but so far it seems everything is functioning normally, except for live recording/playback. As mentioned earlier, the imported tracks played back without a hitch.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:05 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Cables are far different than during the 70's. Nowadays they are replaced by flat cables and kept to a minimum. You'd be surprised to see how few there are. Just loosening and refitting the connectors could solve your problem. There is no soldering required. But if it is only playback? Is this always the case or just when you record with a mixer for example ? Have you tried just plugging in a mic on one channels at the time ? I have had problems with a bad 1/4 inch Jack connector that would drop out regularly.

I your playback always drops out at the exact same time in the recording the problem may be outside the Yammie. If you have a stereo mini jack to two single 1/4 jacks you could attach an MP3 player and try recording on each channel pair. If that goes well it would confirm the problem is elsewhere. Maybe even in a bad external cable.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:49 pm 
Dude

And those pins are soooooo tiny!
There's no drop out in the playback. Sound is continuous, but the data skips on various tracks at different times. If it was only a drop out, it wouldn't affect the time signature of the song. It's not the cables. Unfortunately, this thing is back in the shop, not here. I'm tempted to go there and export wavs, load them into my computer (Cubase) and see if at least it's recording properly. An authorized Yamaha service tech owns this problem, so I can't crack it open, I'm just looking for any information that might be helpful and get this resolved ASAP. Lots of projects on hold right now. Ah! the days of analog.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:05 pm 
Dude

It's not the cables meaning external connector cables, XLR, 1/4" etc...