The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Panning Problems
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:40 am 
Dude

Favourite food: Tacos
Machine type: AW1600
Hey guys, so I've noticed there's a drastic difference in signal between my right and left side. Though I record everything dead center, when I pan, my left side has been super loud, while the right has been either minimal or nonexistent. This shows up on both my panning bars as well as on my headphones/monitors. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Panning Problems
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:48 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi GP,

I'd recall initial data first. Press the scene button, choose "initial data" and recall. It will put all your settings flat.

If you want to keep what you have so far, scene-wise, choose an empty slot in the scene list first and save. Save the song after that!

For checking the pan settings, press the pan knob and check all settings. For every channel, you can see how it is panned and whether or not channels are paired. It may clear the mystery.

It could also be a hardware problem. Check the connectors from the monitors. You could switch left and right and see if the problem moves along with it or not.

Hope this helps.

r

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:31 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Quite likely the problem is the pan setting of the Stereo Channel. Use the View button. press it until you get to the channel view menu. This screen shows the signal flow of the currently selected channel. So -- tap the button above the red slider - and the signal flow scheme for the stereo channel will show. Look to the right end of the chain, and there is a circle (dial) marked Pan. Use the jog wheel to adjust this if it says anything other than C for Center.

This situation is easy to have happen if you are not familiar with the possibility, and have engaged in a bit of "hunt and peck" with the buttons, -- exploring so to speak. Trouble is knowing when you are doing it. -- If you press the pan button, while the stereo channel is engaged, and then move right to the jog wheel to adjust a track's pan - what you will actually be doing is altering the pan for the stereo channel. To avoid this - always tap the select button for the track you wish to adjust, before moving the jog wheel. the display is deceiving because even though the stereo track may be selected, the display shows all the track dials. But if you look closely, at the top of the screen, I believe it tells you that it is the stereo channel is being adjusted. ( been a while )

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:25 am 
Dude

Thanks guys! Everything is back to normal =)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:30 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Great! What caused the problem?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:40 pm 
Dude

Hey Rob, sorry for the late reply (finals are coming up soon and it's taken me over a bit lol). Everything was working fine after I simply plugged the unit into another power strip, didn't even have to do anything to fix it. But now that I'm ready to record again, I noticed the sound drop off yesterday, and today I'm back to having no sound on my right side. I just tried recalling the data and now I have no sound on any of my songs :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:42 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

The last thing in your post is normal. Pull the stereofader completely down and then completely up. Do that will all tracks you're using.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:49 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
When recalling initial data, all the volume settings are set to zero, including the stereo bus (red fader). Simply run the fader to the top, then to the bottom (or vice versa) (See the Fader screen in the view button's menu list) This action will cause the phsysical fader to "pick up" the virtual fader and return control to the physical fader. Common problem with newer users.

The pan problem should be fixed with an initial settings recall. when you have lopsided balance, as indicated by the meters, check the track pan controls in the mix, but also don't forget to go to View > Ch View > Stereo Bus select (button above red fader) this screen will show you the pan setting of the stereo bus (dial at right end of signal chain diagram).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:38 am 
Dude

Phewwww! All normal now, did what you guys told me. I swear you guys are life savers! Thx again!