The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:07 am 
Imperator

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Machine type: AW16G
This evening the record button on my aw16g was stuck in the down position. I received error messages when I tried to just play the tracks. Finally I noticed the soft key was stuck. I wiggled it and it came free, but this does not bode well for the future.

Has anyone experienced stuck keys on their unit? Any recommendations?

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:59 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
Hi,
it is probably dust, liquid or combination of both. Sometimes things get worse with temp/humidity change.
For dust try air spray, for hardened liquid alcohol (isopropyl) could work, but please test it on materials first.
There's little space around red button, try a toothpick to remove some dirt.

However, if problem is deeper (mom. switch under red button) you need to open G and clean (maybe removing CD drive would help to get close).

OR
Button is misaligned.
OR
Mom. switch is broken.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:00 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
had that happen once, a long time ago. Never again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:31 pm 
Imperator

After functioning normally for a couple of days, I now have a RECORDER BUSY message, preventing me from performing any functions, including safe shutdown. This occurred after doing a mixdown to the stereo pair. I hit the stop button at the end, but now can do nothing. I'm afraid to just pull the power cable.

I think this is connected with the soft button, perhaps this momentary switch underneath. I hope this is not the death of my trusty old G, as I have several current projects on the hard drive; it would be a wrench to lose them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:56 pm 
Imperator

After doing a search and reading some ancient posts from the dusty archives, I just turned the G off and powered it back on. My mix had not saved, so I just re-did it. Everything is fine for the moment, but I realize I may be recording on borrowed time here. I got my machine in 2004.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:45 am 
Marker Magician

Time to archive. I think the 2816 format and then utilizing AWExtract, as we recently discussed in a PM, is a good direction to explore. Others, with more experience, may jump in.

If you intend to continue recording, this route yields wavs that can be loaded onto any platform. No real point in backing up in AW16G format, unless you intend on getting another. G backups are not forward compatible to the 1600.

You would like a 2400.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:50 am 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
If it is only record button and you have stable working G when not touching the button, you can record with footswitch in punch-in mode without touching that button I guess.
Sorry couldn't find my footswitch to confirm this theory...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:41 am 
Imperator

I had thought about searching for a back-up aw16g. Funny, I never thought about looking for a more sophisticated discontinued DAW, but now I've started searching for an aw2400.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:42 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
urbando1 wrote:
I had thought about searching for a back-up aw16g. Funny, I never thought about looking for a more sophisticated discontinued DAW, but now I've started searching for an aw2400.

If you have some funds put aside absolutely invest in a 2400. You'll think you hit the recording lottery.

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:28 am 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: food
RZ wrote:
urbando1 wrote:

If you have some funds put aside absolutely invest in a 2400. You'll think you hit the recording lottery.

hahaha, the recording lottery. I'll feel like I won the recording lottery if this machine shows up in the next few days... Whew!

Good luck if you do try to find a AW2400 there were quite a few of them sold and on Ebay recently... but none at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:21 am 
Imperator

A friend of mine is going to more or less give me his little-used aw1600. I'll go check it out next weekend, perhaps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:27 am 
Marker Magician

urbando1 wrote:
A friend of mine is going to more or less give me his little-used aw1600. I'll go check it out next weekend, perhaps.

Sounds like a good price-point. You will love the USB compared to the need for discs with the G.