The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:37 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: healthy
Machine type: AW2816
Hello and thanks in advance for any suggestions with my problem....

The situation is as follows:

When attempting to shutdown, my AW2816 froze up and after a while I just turned it off and then turned it back on again. When attempting to load recorder data it tells me "can't load recorder data" then when I hit any button it pops on and "looks normal". If I hit the song button I find that there are no songs at all! Not even in the frame I am in currently. When I try to do anything it freezes up. I had hoped to be able to reformat the HD but as soon as I press "file" it locks up.

I'm afraid that the HD may be fried and in need of replacing, but I had hoped someone might know some "secret combination" of buttons to push that will do a system restore without having to start up. Perhaps the hardware is OK, but the OS is corrupted somehow. Spending $400 to replace the HD is a little out of reach for me at this time.

Thanks in advance with this issue!

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:28 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Three,

Welcome to the forum!

It is very well possible that the HD is damaged. However, looking at the machine as a microprocessor system with peripherals, I'd do this first: unplug the machine from the power socket. Leave it for some time (like an hour or so, or preferably even more). Then, plug it in and retry.

If the digital electronics came to be in an illegal state, its behaviour becomes unpredictable. So, strange things may occur. To make sure it isn't the hardware state, do the above for a reset.

Hope this helps.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:58 pm 
Lone Star

I've had the machine unplugged for a day or so now. I did a google search for "cold reboot" which led me here to the forum. I'll plug it back in and report my results.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:02 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
OK, let us know what you find.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:55 pm 
Lone Star

Update.....

error code 0xFFFFD8F1...

Some more checking on dijonstock turned up some information....

mrskygod wrote:
My 4416's screen HD error code wrote:
CAN NOT FIND HHD

ERROR !!!! CODE : 0XFFFFD8F1

DO YOU START UP MIXER SECTION ONLY ? [Y(ANY)]

Is this the screen you see ?

If so the HD is indeed corrupted and it's removal and connection to a PC is warranted for a reformat so the 4416 will see it again. Because is is an IDE hard drive a PC will see it with the proper cableing. More than likely it is a Travelstar notebook HD. This is something any PC service center can do for you. The HD is easily removed from the caddy once it is removed from your 4416's HD slot with the two thumbscrews provided. The down side of this is that all data will be lost during the reformat except the operating system which is contained in the memory. Once it "see's " the drive correctly , it may ask you to let the 4416 format it again , so in this case you would say YES and allow it. Then the recorder will be usable again.

If you can get a PC to "see" it without formatting , then do a defrag within the PC and then reinstall it and try again.

Outside of the box you might just try sliding the caddy back and reinstalling it by using finger power instead of the thumbscrews. It's easier to feel the connector engage that way. Also make sure HD mounting board is BETWEEN the two ridges on EACH side of the bay. Check this visually. You may just not have the HD caddy plugged in well.

Hope this helps.

msg

I will proceed from here and hopefully I will find success..

I'm quite competent when it comes to taking apart the Roland 808ex's but I've never had the nerve to open up the AW2816.

No time like the present to start!