The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Undeleteable?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:07 am 
Lone Star

Favourite food: steak
Machine type: AW1600
Hi, my name is Andrew Reist, and I am having some problems with my AW1600. This looks like a good place to ask for help, so here I am!

I'm trying to export some files for mixing (onto my computer), but I got a message saying HD FULL!!. So, as I usually do, I went through and deleted about 3 gigs of files off my AS1600. Then I went to export the tracks, and it still said HD FULL!! Once again, I went through, optimized some files, deleted some songs - and still the same story! What's my problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide for this problem - I'm in a weekly songwriting competition, so naturally I'd like to export the tracks at least in the next few days.

Post subject: Re: Undeleteable?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:53 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I think you get this message sometimes if there is too much stuff in the TRANSPORT folder. Check out if there is stuff that can be deleted from the Transport, allowing room for what you want to get in there. If you got the stuff into the transport, but your PC won't accept it, maybe your PC's HD is the source of the problem.

You did not specify if the files ever made it to the Transport, so I would look at cleaning it up first.

You do this from your PC. Connect via USB and open the Transport folder (in partition #2). Delete as you would on any PC drive.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:55 pm 
Lone Star

Byron wrote:
I think you get this message sometimes if there is too much stuff in the TRANSPORT folder. Check out if there is stuff that can be deleted from the Transport, allowing room for what you want to get in there. If you got the stuff into the transport, but your PC won't accept it, maybe your PC's HD is the source of the problem.

You did not specify if the files ever made it to the Transport, so I would look at cleaning it up first.

You do this from your PC. Connect via USB and open the Transport folder (in partition #2). Delete as you would on any PC drive.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but I'm afraid to say this isn't the case. The Transport folder is totally empty, and my computer has many gigs of hd space to spare. When I export files, only about 20 megs can fit in the transport folder for some reason (even though I've deleted gigs and gigs off my aw1600).

I guess this leads me to ask a question I've had for a while - is the hard drive for saving files different than the hard drive for the transport folder?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:02 pm 
Marker Magician

Not at my machine so i cant bench test. But i do know i have had a situation where the Transport was overloaded. I'll try to be more specific when i get home in a few hours. Would it have something to do with emptying the trash, once the files have been moved there?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:07 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

The AW1600 has one 40GB hard drive. However, for some reason, it is broken up into 2 hard drive "partitions" (a software characteristic). You'll notice that when you connect to your PC via USB it looks like there are 2 AW1600 drives. These are really the 2 partitions. The Transport folder is in one of them.

To sum it up: Everything in the AW1600 is really on one hard drive, but it looks like 2 to the PC.

Sorry, but I don't have any ideas on your problem, since I've never run into it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:06 pm 
Lone Star

Hey guys, thanks for the help - but it seems that my box is determined to creep me out, and has fixed itself overnight. Not that I'm complaining, but it's kind of weird anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:10 am 
Tenderfoot

Can't be specific on this one but a couple of things to keep in mind re the HD.

I think I remember a 1600 software upgrade for a problem with the machine reporting incorrect large file sizes so you could check you have the latest version.

If you cannot export trks 1-16 successfully on a song, then you may have one file with no end marker so the file is huge. Sometimes these songs can't be deleted.

On my AW16G I recently deleted a pair of full length tracks but gained no extra space after optimising. Rechecking the virtuals, I saw the tracks still had some data. Turns out the deleted area was one bar short of the end of the recorded track. When I deleted this, I regained the total space.

Sometimes, I can delete stereo virtuals and optimise but gain no extra space.

Also, on the two partitions, I think alternate partitions are used for each new song to keep fragmentation lower.