The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: software
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:32 am 
Boot Polisher

Machine type: AW16G
I certainly don't want to cause any controversy here...heaven knows I've been saved a hundred times by all the helpful knowledge here, BUT...
I was already to buy a compressor for my guitar and vocals when my laptop died. I bought a new one more powerful and through my researching I also bought a USB Interface and Steinberg Cubase Artist. Cubase Artist has tons of effects including compression. I have 64 audio tracks and 64 midi tracks. I can use multiple effects, eq, etc. on any or all tracks. I can quantize audio drum tracks!! So is my precious aw16g obsolete?

Post subject: Re: software
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:43 am 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
I use both... I still prefer live recordings on the G as it has never "died"... most of my mixing is done via software... I don't think you can get much for the G nowadays, so just hang onto it for posterity, unless the powers that be in your household tell you different!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:17 am 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
In my experience, slowly does it is the right approach. I have a 2400 and it is a dream machine. However, for editing, mixing, mastering etc, the computer wins hands down - especially with software plugins of a quality I could only dream about when I was using hardware outboards.

I'm recently new to Pro Tools, and I prefer to track on the 2400 and transfer the files to Pro Tools. The exceptions are those tracks that can be recorded in midi instead of audio. The reason is that the 2400 is rock solid for recording, unlike software recording which can glitch and run out of resources during a critical take. I also do a lot of track comping where I play a part up to a certain point until it is how I like it, change tracks and record the next part etc then submix them all together, either manually or using Automix if the submix is tricky. I do this all the time, especially for vocals. The 24 tracks x 8 virtuals is heaven for this.

The exceptions - midi tracks are as follows

Keyboards - I can loop record midi - just like a drum machine you can record the sound in several overlapping passes. This is good for composing solo passages and also, in my case, making up for my lack of keyboard skills and fixing any bum notes or bum notes in chords. You can also cut and paste midi if you have a good passage that repeats later.

Bass - where note timing and duration is critical - mainly because you can edit the pitch, velocity, timing, and duration by visually moving the bars on the midi screen after it has been recorded. So you can clean up the bass and get a perfect track. Proviso of course is that you have to use a synth bass but these are getting much better. Another plus here is tuning, which, on a keyboard is perfect no matter where up the virtual fretboard you play it, and, of course, no noise.

Drums - if you are using a drum machine and can record it in midi as you can replace drum sounds and sequences later if you have the midi locked in.

The other thing to watch is that you will need to endlessly spend money on storage, software, and plugins and it can get quite expensive.

You can see the other limitations I've found with my short PC recording journey under the Board topic of Other Machines.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:28 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
I also use both and switch back and forth depending. Live recording is much easier and faster on the G and a quick mix too.

Editing and automation especially is way easier on pc. Copying, cutting, delaying tracks is a breeze. Synching can be difficult depeneding on the situation. (i must look into Cubase Artist for this quantize drum track stuff. I can do it only on midi.) Using multiple effects, having four full parametric equalizers on each audio track is great. I do however keep a lid on the buying of effects. There are a lot of freeware plugings with decent sounds. ( i use Cubase)

To be able to do this on the PC you need a good audio interface. I have the Zoom R24 which is quite good and also allows you to take it on the road and record. Even battery powered which is nice. The audio interface and a simple latop will set you back as much as a decent G like piece of hardware.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble