The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: MIDI controllers....
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:18 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: lucky charms
Machine type: AW16G
Ok, the time is fast approaching where I'll have Sonar 7 PE on my PC. I intend to do most of my recording via Sonar, through the Delta 1010 system I just picked up.

The Delta has one IN and one OUT as far as MIDI goes.

Here's my dilemma...and please know I've tried to read (or even find) anything I could relating to what I need (or think I need :? )...but have only been left with more questions.

I'll have the eDrums hooked up to record/send MIDI into Sonar. I haven't gotten the Superior Drummer software yet, that'll come down the road at some point. Anyway, if I'm sitting 10ft away from the computer, how the heck am I gonna start the recording????
Answer: MIDI controller, obviously. BUT, I only have the one IN/OUT, which will be used by the eDrums.

Is USB feasable to operate the stop/play/record functions in the DAW? One would imagine it is...but THIS "one" has been wrong too many times to not research everything beforehand. I have the Juno G synth, which can double as a MIDI controller, but the Juno won't be right next to me... #-o

I'd imagine it's easy peasy...to you guys anyway. But me, I'm confused just tryin to put my socks on. :shock:

Is MIDI THRU an option? I understand how to daisy chain, but the eDrums will take up most of the channels...not sure if that even makes a difference? Meaning, do you assign the "STOP" command to one channel, the "PLAY" command to another?

I've been reading up on functionality in MIDI Controllers as well. I think I should get something with a few bells and whistles, rather than something bare bones that'll leave me wanting something else for lack of support for parameter adjustments. Then again, the Juno G could work the parameters, and maybe a simple controller for just the start/stop stuff would be adequate?

I know I'm not seeing the forest through the trees, so to speak...been a problem I've had since I can remember. And honestly, I've have touched the Sonar LE version I have, maybe twice. Been hooked on learning the do's/dont's on the 16G...and luvin' every minute of it!

I just feel it's time to take it to the next level.

Anyone have enough paitence to help me out??? Or tell me off, whichever you prefer. I've got thick skin. Too thick. :lol:

Thanks a ton...really. I'd still be playin spoons without you guys!

Post subject: Re: MIDI controllers....
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:55 pm 
Footswitch Genius

Favourite food: Jarlsberg
i'm only running sonar 2.2, so sonar 7 might be able to simplify the technique a little more than the way i use it.

start, stop, and song position (bar/beat number) is more a function of MTC than midi per se - i.e. it's controlled by time code rather than MIDI key events. ultimately you would want a MIDI port specifically for the MTC/AW16g, rather than daisychaining it with another device - here's a wiki quote explaining why: "If the MIDI data stream is running close to capacity, the MTC data may arrive a little behind schedule which has the effect of introducing a small amount of jitter. In order to avoid this it is ideal to use a completely separate MIDI port for MTC data." - if you for instance put the AW16g on the same MIDI port as the Juno, any time you used a pitch bend or aftertouch on the Juno you would run the risk of confusing the AW16g, because those controllers send out a huge flood of numbers whenever they are used

when you say "I intend to do most of my recording via Sonar" do you mean that your audio will be going into sonar, or is it going into the AW16g?

i use my AW16g for all my audio, and sonar is purely for MIDI and automixing the AW16g - in this case i slave sonar to the AW, because i have noticed doing it the other way around the AW will have occasional slight pitch fluctuations as it tries to chase and lock the sonar time code. (the AW16g manual warns about this)

because sonar is only playing MIDI, there is no chance of this happening at the sonar end of things. also, sonar has better support for detecting song start/stop than the AW does. sonar can listen to the MTC and detect when you start/stop a song, and after a short delay can locate where you are in the song and jump into sync at the right position

if however you are doing all your audio in sonar itself, then sonar should be the master and the AW the slave - i think MSG runs his setup that way, so it might be best to wait for his input here

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:42 pm 
Tinhorn

thanks for the reply, Clive..

I honestly had taken the AW out of the process all together. I'd only use it if I were to record a band, or something when I'm away from home. I'm looking at it that way because in order to edit on the PC, you have to transfer (my audio recordings) as seperate .wav files from the AW. I'm just trying to streamline things a bit.

That's my goal: to record into, and be able to edit right away in the DAW...but operate the DAW recording parameters from 10ft away.

Now, I think I'll check the TD6 manual when I get home to see if I can operate the start/stop functions on the DAW directly from the TD6 module via MTC. That, at least to me and my way of thinking, could be possible??? It would eliminate the need for an additional controller, and be right next to me as well. Since I'm doing everything else direct into the Delta as audio, I should be ok.. I think. :? I mean, I can't play everything at once anyway. :lol:

Then, if I wanted to play with the Juno G as a MIDI controller, I just hook it up to the Delta and can operate the DAW instruments with that.

This stuff is really involved.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:59 pm 
Tinhorn

decided to download the TD6 manual at work...and I'm thinkin I'm screwed. Tons of info on how to this and that, but nothing mentioning how to start/stop an external sequencer. arrrrgg!!! :evil:

Hopefull when Geno hops off the barstool racer and throws his two cents in...I'll feel a little better.

GEEEEEEENOOOOOOOOOO..... where are yooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu? The MIDI monster is eatin' me alive!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:20 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Geno is practising loopings.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:27 pm 
Tinhorn

Robbie wrote:
Geno is practising loopings.

I hope he's outside the city limits and wearing his helmet! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:21 am 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
I don't have Sonar here to check, but in older Cakewalk and Sonar versions it was possible to assign transport buttons to defined synth key (when U push C2 for example, it would start "Play" in Sonar).
Now, with eDrums, think that each pad has the same task as one synth key.

Usually U only need one MIDI channel for this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:23 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
I din't know about Sonar 7 or above but 6.21 has problems with recognising transport commands from external contollers. There is much discussion in their forum about assigning NPRN/RPN numbers to the external transport control surface. This is quite deep in the midi world as this method involves entering code as a sysex type message. So far I have had no luck making any of my external hardware transport controllers activate Sonar's . All the other midi parameters are seen like control changes etc., just not the transport messages.

On the other hand , Sonar has no problem sending transport messages to an external device and controlling them.:scratch:

I use numerous midi controllers in my setup and have them send messages to Sonar with the exception of the transport.

I tend to not waste anymore time on this problem as Sonar's count in time can be adjusted to give plenty of time to swing the chair around and begin playing. It can be adjusted to any beat or number of measures.

As far a the barstool is concerned , more high speed testing was done. Another set of brakes are being engineered as the first ones had problems with unavailable piston seals.

Top speed so far ? Measured at 43 in third gear by the local county Sheriff. Still have two gears left. :lol:

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:21 pm 
Tinhorn

thanks Geno. I knew you'd have the answer. I should have everything set up and ready to record after my trip. Cannot wait to see what can be accomplished.

Oh, and 43mph?? And two gears left????

That, my man, is a SCARY thought! Be careful!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:37 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

A "quick drink" gets a whole new meaning.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:26 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

I think that's why the LSR is what it is. The darn thing absolutely squirrly above 40 mph.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:14 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:15 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

They do have a streamliner class that allows faired wheels and aerodynamic devices. Current record is 47.586 MPH .

The current lakester (no aerodynamic devices allowed) is now 49.972 :shock:

On paper mine will certainly double and almost triple that. :shock:

If I can make it stay straight ...........control of this thing above 40 mph requires a very focused touch and I don't mean control pressure either Beerosaur. I'd define it as control thought. :lol: