The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows XP (32 bit?)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:44 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: lucky charms
Machine type: AW16G
Hey guys..how's everyone?? Hopefully well during these crappy times we're livin in.

Just a quick question before I waste more money.

Sonar 7 Home Studio XL: It states that minimum PC requirement is 32 bit. I'm dumb, and don't understand. But aside from that, if I run XP SP2 on my PC, and use Maudio's Delta 1010 (24bit x 192), can you use Sonar wih 32 bit processing?? I'm guessing you can "dumb down" Sonar to a 24 bit setting, but I'm not sure and since I already bought a Delta 66 Omni interface in error, I'd like to save myself some sanity, and cash.

Anyone understand what I'm tryin to convey????

Appreciate any info possible.

Thanks,
BH

Post subject: Re: Windows XP (32 bit?)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:52 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Hiya BH,

I don't really know what I'm talking about when the topics are OS versions, but I'm afraid you might mix up a few things that are unrelated.

Windows XP 32 bit means it addresses and computes data in 32 bit units. That explains why 64 bit is faster. However, your processor, OS and applications needs to support it in order to create an advantage.

The 24 bit samples are data. When you record, you measure line levels. Each sample is measured in a number of bits. The G does that using 16 bit, the AW1600/AW2400 can do that in 24 bit. Still, it is data, like a Word or Excel document. It is totally unrelated to the architecture of your processor/Operating System.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:50 pm 
Tinhorn

Robbie wrote:
It is totally unrelated to the architecture of your processor/Operating System.

Hey Robbie!! Great Hamelstock thread, btw. Looks like you guys had a blast, which is how it should always be.

Ok, I think I'm understanding you...but bear with me.

XP is a 32 bit OS. Understood. The fact that I'm running XP means that my processor is also able to run at 32 bit, or else it wouldn't run with XP. (correct ?) Or...does that simply mean that my processor could only be a 16 bit processor, even though I'm running XP?

And as for the 24 bit question, it's simply how the interface processes the recorded data into the PC. At a rate of 24 bit. (correct?)

So you have a data stream coming in that is at 24 bit. XP (Sonar or Windows Media) plays back at 24 bit. All of which is fine, as XP is capable of handling up to 32 bit processing. ???

Man, I need a beer.

If Sonar states "32bit minimum", it means that I'll need XP to run the app, because XP can handle up to 32 bit processing, but my processor could still be lower than 32 bit, and hence Sonar wouoldn't run. (correct ?)

I guess I'm looking at it as anything (data, or running software apps) that needs up to 32 bit processing, can be done in XP. ie...16, 24 and 32 bit apps/interfaces would work fine...but if something required 64bit, I'd need a bigger/faster processor and Vista?

Sorry to sound as dumb, well, as I really am...it's all just a little confusing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:13 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

It is exactly as you say: confusing.

Sonar says: 32 bit minimum. That means it'll only run on 32 bit operating systems (operating systems that support 32 bit processing - but remember, we're talking about 32 bit addressing and 32 bit instructions of the processor and the memory and that is at the lowest level, which has nothing to do with 24 bit or 32 bit samples) and not on 16 bit operating systems, like the old Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

So, Sonar needs at least a 32 bit environment. However the DATA is a totally different story. That is DATA. You'll easily talk about dozens of megabytes when it comes to sound data. Theoretically you could have 64 bit sound samples processed by Sonar. It'll look at your data as files. However the processor and the operating system will work in 32 bit mode. Simply speaking while computing for adding effects, it'll chop the data in 32 bit pieces (or less) but the "application layer" will not notice one thing - 64 bit data is 64 bit data. You could even have that processed by old DOS 8-bit systems.

Look at it as sand trucks (your processor and operating system), sand ships giving the sand to the trucks (Sonar) and the desert (your data). The ships are loaded with sand from the desert, and trucks have to unload the ships. It'll work, even when you start using bigger ships. You only have to unload more often using the trucks.

If it's still confusing: the processor/OS bit depth and sound file bit depth are totally utterly UNrelated. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:12 pm 
Tinhorn

Robbie wrote:
Look at it as sand trucks (your processor and operating system), sand ships giving the sand to the trucks (Sonar) and the desert (your data). The ships are loaded with sand from the desert, and trucks have to unload the ships. It'll work, even when you start using bigger ships. You only have to unload more often using the trucks.

I understand completely now. Thanks so much for your time!!!

And oddly enough, I now want to go home and play with my daughter's Bob the Builder construction set... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:49 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

I'm 43 and I build Lego Duplo towers. Real big towers. :)