The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:22 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: curry
Machine type: AW16G
Hi, just want to make sure I a not missing something as I appear to have a technical fault on my AW16G.

I have just two songs on the machine, they both use just track 1 & 2 and there are no effects or EQ settings, I have made just one mixdown for each and saved them. I can play both of the stereo tracks so I know they exist. When in the CD page I can bring up the first song and burn it, but it doesn't list the second song. When I select NEW and click enter it just adds the first song to the list again. Even If I then go back to the SONG page and load the second song it will still only show the first song in the list of the CD page.

After several hours trying to solve the problem I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled the firmware and all the tools. Re-recorded the songs and after each one was complete I made the stereo track and burned to CD without any problem. When the second song was ready to burn the CD page did show it in the list after selecting NEW, just as it should. At that point I thought the problem was solved, unfortunately it was short lived.

The volume levels of both songs were a bit low so I re-recorded them and ran through the process of the mixdown to the stereo track, saving each when complete. Now it is back to how it was with only one song showing in the CD page.

Another issue which may or may not be related. When I load and listen to the demo song all of its EQ, pan and effects settings stay in place when another song is loaded from the SONG page.

Seems to me that there may be a fault in the electronics which is not resetting when changing songs, possibly a latched IC .

Any advice would be most appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:20 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

It is important to save each song after making a mixdown, or else the machine won't see a mixed version of the song and can't list it.

You're doing everything right but you forget the very last step.

Once you see the first song you'd like to write to CD you press "new" again and that's good. You'll see the first song for the second time. It is here were you need to do one last thing: select the second entry by using the arrow keys, so it'll have the dotted lines around it. Then, turn the jog dial to select a different song. It'll let you select all songs on it that have a saved mixdown track (also known as "the stereo track").

Let us know if that solved the problem. If not, we're have to further investigate.

Cheers!

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:28 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Oh and about your second question. Let me give an example: the faders. They are not motorized. The value that is used is a "virtual" value. By default, it is linked to the physical fader so if you move the faders up and down, so will the virtual fader.

However: a scene (that is a snapshot of all settings like faders, effects, panning etc) can overwrite the virtual fader. That means that the value changes without moving the physical fader. This happens when you recall a previously stored scene. The demo song automatically recalls scenes a number of times, so it'll mess up every setting you have without telling you by moving motorized faders. This may look like a disadvantage but in my opinion it is not. It is a matter of what you're used to.

You can relink the physical fader to the virtual fader by moving the fader up and down, making sure the physical fader passes the value of the virtual fader, picking it up.

You can see where the virtual faders are by pressing the view button repeatedly until it shows you the fader view on the screen. You can even change the virtual faders by selecting them using the arrow keys and turning the jog dial, just like you do when you select a different song for writing to CD.

I hope this clears things up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:38 pm 
Dude

Hi Robbie, thank you sooooo much for your help. That has solved the problem with the CD burning issue, looking back to the instructions in the manual I can now see where I went wrong and it all makes sense now.

With the other issue. That's all understood, but if I had Scenes saved for each song and loaded them with the associated song would that save me from having to reset everything manually?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:31 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Yes!

The way to go is: after completing a recording, put the faders, effects, panning etc where you want them. Then make the mixdown and save the scene.

After that, you can do anything you like, work on other projects (that have their own scenes obviously).

Then, if you'd like to work on the first project, load the song and recall the scene. If you forget to recall the scene you will have the song of the first project and the scenes of another project (the latest song you've worked on).

If you made changes to a scene but you want to keep the former version, there are about 100 available slots in which to save a scene.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:08 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Even when you change scenes the physical fader is not automatically linked to the virtual fader. look at the virtual faders on the View screens. You will/may see dark lines either over or under the image of the fader slider. When you move the physical fader there will be no apparent movement of the virtual fader, UNTIL, you actually cross the value that the scene change actually set. This is very important knowledge, if you intend to manipulate faders in real time during a mix down, particularly if you are swapping scenes via the Tempo Map, during the song playback.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:32 pm 
Dude

Thank you for all the advice posted, it has been a great help. I will certainly be back again if I get stuck with anything else.