The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:09 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
The purpose of this sticky is to answer some common questions regarding burning a CD on the G.

How come I can't find my song to burn it to a CD?

Don't feel bad. This one gets most everybody the first time around. ](*,)

In order to burn a song to CD you must first do a mixdown to the stereo track and save the song. See Chapter 9 of the manual (and page 86 in particular) for instructions on mixing to the stereo track. To save the song go to the "song/list" screen and choose save. NOTE: This is different from choosing "safe" in the "record/mixdown" screen (that command simply disables recording to the stereo track).

Once you have your song mixed to the stereo track, go to the "CD/write" screen and choose either "disc at once" or "track at once" mode (see Chapter 10 of the manual for the differences between these modes). Either one works, although from what I've gathered most people here (OK, at the old forum) seem to prefer "track at once."

To select a song to be burned cursor to "new" and hit enter. At this point a song should appear in the song list field on the right side of the screen. If you only have one song with a stereo mix saved that will be the one listed. If you have more than one song with a stereo mix saved then the song listed may or may not be the song you want to burn. Here's the tricky part: To select the song you want you must cursor over to the song in the song list and use the jog wheel to scroll through all of the songs for which you have saved a stereo mixdown. Scroll to the song you want to burn.

To add more songs to the list, repeat this process by pressing "new" (adds new song at the end of the list), or "insert" (inserts new song before the song highlighted in the song list). When you have all of the songs you want in the song list press "execute" and you're on your way.

Why do I get write errors (Atapi, etc.) when I try to burn an audio CD?

It seems the G doesn't like burning audio tracks at faster than 4X speed. Most people seem to have good luck burning CDs by going to the "CD/setting" screen and both changing the audio write speed to 4X and enabling the underrun protect feature. See page 99 of the manual for further details. There is also a "test" option in that screen that might help if these two changes don't do the trick.

How can I put different mixes of the same song on the same audio CD?

The G allows you to create up to 8 different stereo mixes for each song (accessible through the "monitor/st. track" screen). You can put these different mixes of the same song onto a single CD using "track at once" write mode. To do so:

Open the song you want to burn to CD and go to the "monitor/st. track" screen. Select the mix you want to burn first from the virtual stereo tracks available. SAVE THE SONG in the "song/list" screen. Got to the "CD/write" screen, select "track at once" mode, follow the instructions above for adding the song to the song list, hit "execute" and select "cancel" when the song is done burning. Go back to the "monitor/st. track" screen and select the next mix you want to burn. SAVE THE SONG in the "song/list" screen. Go back to the "CD/write" screen and burn that song. Repeat for each mix you want to burn to the CD. When you are done burning the last mix select "finalize" to finalize the disc.

The reason you need to SAVE THE SONG after you've switched virtual tracks is that the G will burn whichever virtual track is selected when you last saved the song.

Can I use CD-RWs instead of CD-Rs for burning audio discs?

Yes, you can. However, be aware that many audio CD players won't recognize CD-RWs and will give a "no disc" message (or something similar) if you try to play an audio CD-RW in them. I tried this and found that the CD-RW would play on my DVD player and 2001 model year car stereo, but not on my older home stereo or Sony Discman. Best to stick to CD-Rs for audio recordings.

Now...go burn a CD. \:D/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:03 am 
Hyper Quoter

...THANK YOU...!!! :D I Was gonna post a question about how to put different stereo mixes onto CD to test/evaluate which ones sounded the best!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:58 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Good stuff JM......now I can finally burn a CD.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:16 am 
Tinhorn

Ok, then while we're on the subject I'll ask a dumb question. What's the difference between disc at once and track at once? Does one of these place a few seconds of silence betweent the tracks?
Thanks fellas!
Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:07 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

the one at the top of the display (inserts the silence) the one on the bottom inserts the plays the stereo track exactly as it starts and stops

I never can remember the stupid names. I just time everything and use the one on the bottom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:10 am 
Calf Cutter

Track at once - 2 second gap
Disk at once - No gap

Disk at once will burn everything in your burn list then finalize. Track at once will burn everything in your burn list but then ask you if you want to finalze (in case you want to add to it later).

At least I think that's right. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:37 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Are we good or what? Nite California.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:38 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
mrskygod wrote:
Good stuff JM......now I can finally burn a CD.

That is a Microsoft disk. Deservers only this. :lol:

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

Post subject: question???
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:29 pm 
Welcome to the Forum!

i follow the directions and still i get a 'no media' pop up..why can't i burn a cd.. please help as i' going crzay--starting to wonder if aw16g is defective///??? steve05@inbox.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:50 pm 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
Yeah, track at once will put in the codes so that they'll show up as individual tracks on the CD with a lead time of 2 seconds. Disk at once will just write everything unless you put in markers AND select markers to delineate the tracks.

The later is very useful. When mastering a CD, the time between tracks vary as a function of the mastering artist. He may want a long gap between songs, maybe for some a very short gap depending on what type of material flows from one song to the next. For example, maybe a very loud, driving song would be followed by something slow and easy going. He may want to have time between the two to let the listener's ear's adjust to silence. Soo...you insert time as a function of how the album would flow from one song to the next on the individual tracks, and then use the markers so that the tracks show up on the CD player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:51 pm 
Guitar Ho

Oh...to answer the question...the G doesn't seem to like the CD. Sure, maybe it's your drive, but it may be that you are using a data disk rather than a music CD that already has something on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:57 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Stevo, welcome to the forum. DC may be on to something here. Try another disk. Once you insert the disk and close the carriage, then hit the cd button and try again. If it tells you no disk, it hopefully is a bad disk.

rz-land

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:27 pm 
Wants You

Glad to see you found your way to the forum stevo. :wink:

Anyway, whenever I see the 'no media' bit the first thing I say is did you push the CD down firmly onto the spindle? You almost have to 'snap' it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:24 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Welcome to our place, Steve.

You can't burn, but can you read?

It might be a faulty connection, so maybe it helps if you dismount the CD unit, clean the contacts, and re-install. That is, if everything else fails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:50 am 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Cooked dead animals
Hi I'm suffering..... This has been a big learning curve. I've saved my song as a stereo track. I've found the song in 'new' and then recorded it down to CD ...... but my computer can't seem to read it...any ideas?

regards

Stroma

Bob Keelan wrote:
Glad to see you found your way to the forum stevo. :wink:

Anyway, whenever I see the 'no media' bit the first thing I say is did you push the CD down firmly onto the spindle? You almost have to 'snap' it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:03 am 
Guitar Ho

Did you finalize the CD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:55 pm 
Greenhorn

Thanks.... Yes I did eventually finalise it... I've now found out that it plays perfectly on my daughters CD Player.... Just can't seem to get the laptop to recognise it, no matter what I try... Explorer, Media Player, Roxio etc etc all seem not to recognise the disc..??? I guess this isn't really an AW16G type of problem

Stroma

P.S. After reading this Sticky and having encountered most of the problems mentioned, before finally getting a CD written; and having had to resort to the manual AND pick up some great info on this site, I have realised just how much vital info is missing in the 101 quick start guide. I'm a newbie newbie! I bet there is someone in this forum who could write a much better Quick Start Guide.....Any Takers?

Thanks all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:05 am 
Greenhorn

DCinFrance wrote:
Did you finalize the CD?

Hi David

Honoured to get a reply from you!. I just read the sticky re the history of this site. I'd seen your name pop up many times, in many of the forums but hadn't realised we owe the existence of the site to you. I'm sure I shall be a regular contributor in the future; as I have stated in other threads I'm just getting back into music after a long break; have just bought (very cheaply) for less than £1,000 (and mostly second hand) an AW16G, a Korg M1, Roland R8, Various real stuff -Percussion, a £99 Copy Les Paul, a £50 acoustic from ARGOS!!!! - Which is actually superb etc etc... Expect the number one album soon ...all done on the G ... and not a computer in sight (lol)

regards Stroma

PS I'm just a mere singer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:51 am 
Guitar Ho

:lol: Thanks, Stroma, but you give me too much credit. The existence of this site is a combination of history, circumstance, the people who populate it and...Robbie. It is Robbie who made the site and maintains it through thiick and thin. Sure, maybe Robbie was inspired, but that's not hard to do...throw a little Gouda at him and amazing things happen! :D

At any rate, it's pleasing to hear that you've rediscovered your creative self.

Welcome home.

EDIT NOTE: Once again typing before the mornin' coffee...sorry to have misspelled your name, Stroma, but it has been corrected...a pot of coffee and a half dozen cigarettes later. :roll:

Last edited by DCinFrance on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:12 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Gouda is better than xtc. :D