The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:06 am 
City Slicker

Machine type: AW16G
This has probably been asked before but I'll ask it again just so other people can find out. Is there a quick and easy way of finding out how much available hard drive space there is on the 16G? Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:01 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Unfortunately no. you'll have add up each songs data to get a round about idea of whats been used.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:55 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Jeremy, there are two reasons why someone would like to know this and they each have their own approach.

1) If you want to know how much more you can record in general, RZ's answer is the way to go.

2) If you want to know how much more you can record within a specific song, you always have to keep in mind there's a 6.4 GB song limit (not for the 1600). Press the song button repeatedly until get you to the setup menu. The "counter display" line has a "remain" button. Activate that one. You will see how much recording time you have left within that song. When you add input-to-track connections, you will see the time go down, which is logical when you realize that more tracks leave less time.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:42 am 
Welcome to the Forum!

Favourite food: brussel sprouts
I am a 16G owner and I must admit that this machine seems very difficult to use. I follow the manual but things rarely work as they should. Is there anyone out there who teaches this stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:01 am 
City Slicker

Hey there MacMorgan. I'm not sure if they still exist but you used to be able to find on-line tutorials for the AW16g. I've used them many times and found them to be very helpful. I like the recorder so much that I'm using it to record my next album on it. I'm getting seriously professional quality out of it. Comparable to what you hear out of any big studio. It took a lot of time and trial and error but with some effort you'll find you can get the sounds you want to hear. I'm not sure where I found them. You'll just have to search. Sorry but good luck. You bought a good machine that nowadays gets over looked. Sad but true.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:30 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Hi MacMorgan and welcome to the forum.

Take a look at our docs page: http://www.dijonstock.com/index.php?page=the-docs-page, you can find the "recording 101" there. It'll take you through the basic steps.

I remember thinking the AW16G was a complicated machine. However once you grasp the work flow concept it's quite easy actually, and the manual will become much more readable.

My advice would be to consult the "recording 101" and work from there. Questions will arise and please never hesitate to ask them. In the end you're supposed to enjoy using the machine.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:40 pm 
Cowhand

Favourite food: Fishcakes
Machine type: AW1600
At one time I remember finding some videos (possibly the link is on this site somewhere?) which were very clear indeed. There was one I seem to recall about correcting timing mistakes. Once I'd watched that a few times and understood it, the rest of the editing processes became much simpler to understand. Robbie's correct though - keep using the machine and things will start to become more intuitive.

That said, there are a few really tortuous procedures that are not covered particularly well in the manual. I'm thinking in particular of writing tracks to CD. However, this topic, like many others, has been covered more than adequately on this forum. It was only when I started to ask questions on here that my abilities on the AW1600 improved really fast!

And I know a lot more about cheese now as well . . .

http://www.howardgardener.co.uk/