The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:01 am 
Lone Star

Hi gang, i haven't posted here in a while, but lurk around fairly often and am really enjoying learning my way around the 1600.

One question I haven't been able to find the answer to is.

Does the aw1600 dither when taking 24bit to 16bit and/or does anyone know at what step this happens (ie, making a stereo track , burning cd, etc. )

any and all info is appreciated. Part of it is for curiosity and partly because I might change up my workflow a bit to optimize the final CD.

Todd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:32 am 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
My guess is that the conversion is done when burning the CD. I doubt it's done when doing a mixdown, as sometimes people copy a partial mixdown back to regular tracks before the final stereo mix.

As far as dither, I don't know if that must happen when converting from 24 bit to 16 bit, or there are other conversion techniques. I do know the word "dither" doesn't appear in the AW1600 manual (according to a PDF search).

Stop by more often. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:55 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hiya Todd,

I'm afraid it's not dithering but chopping. That means that the eight least significant bits are omitted. That is different from dithering where the least significant bit of the remaining 16 is randomly set to 0 or 1 depending on the removed 8 bits.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:59 am 
Lone Star

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! I figured that was the case, since its not mentioned in the manual. No problem really, I will just take the 24bit over to my pc and finalize it to 16bit with some dither there.

The capabilities and smart features of the 1600 are great to work with. It took a bit of adjustment coming from tascam, but when I reason out why yamaha engineers did things the way they did, the machine really opens up far more options than I was used to.

Todd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:26 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Whatever you do, Todd, make sure that any kind of 24 to 16 bit conversion takes place as late as possible in the mixing/mastering chain. In an ideal situation, your end result is still in 24 bit and not converted to 16 before writing it to CD in audio format.

BTW if your end result is in 24 bit, it would make sense to use the normalize function. Always check afterwards as normalizing is a harsh procedure from a technical point of view.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating