The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Burning a CD
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:38 am 
City Slicker

Favourite food: curry
Machine type: AW1600
Hi.. I am an old (86) newbie, I am trying to burn a CD on my AW1600 from a recording copied from my Roland Juno G. then recorded to a stereo track and then saved song from song list but when I try 'track at once' I get the dreaded " illegal unsupported media' and the CDr pops out, and its driving me nuts..any suggestions would be great.. Thanks..

Post subject: Re: Burning a CD
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:25 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hello Mr. Daks and welcome to the forum.

My first thought is the "pickiness" of the CD writer when it comes to CDR brands.

Have you tried different brands of CDR's? Are you sure you are using new CDR's (been there done that)? Is the CD unit closed properly?

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:30 am 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
Hi Daks, and welcome to the forum, there is no better place for friendly help on the net.
And don`t worry about your age, I feel that old sometimes :wink:
When you have finished recording to the stereo track, press the record button again to take you to the record page and press SAFE.
Then press SONG to take you to the song page and press SAVE.
Then you can go to the CD page and burn your Stereo Track.
Good luck.

T.
http://www.tmacmusic.com

https://tmacmusic12.wixsite.com/tmac

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:01 am 
City Slicker

Hello Mr. Robbie.. Thanks for your imput. I think my CD's are good, however it seems my problem occurs during the save section, I have been going to the song list the appropriate song is loaded so I click on save but the song is already saved, if I click on new and save then a blank is saved, guess I need to grow up and get some sense..I have spent hours on this.. Cheers..I like the Mr. thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:22 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Please make sure you follow the proper procedure, it can be a bit tricky.

A good read: http://forum.dijonstock.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1473

I'll check back later, if necessary we'll try the "step by step" route. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:29 am 
City Slicker

Boot P. Hi.. Nice to hear from you in UK, actually I am English !! I left UK shortly after returning from overseas after WW2, anyway I tried your suggestion, went back to mixdown and rec then safe then pressed the song key and save on the loaded song, but that aint right because I am still doing something stupid. Pleased to see you enjoy curry.. Cheers..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:41 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Welcome. In general, once you finish recording your tracks, before you can burn the song to a cd, you have to create a master file. The 1600 has 2 extra tracks residing just for that very purpose. In the Quick Navigate section, press record until you get to mixdown and higlight and enter on rec. You should see the red light flashing on your stereo fader. Now go back to your view screen and select track view, hit rewind, and adjust your faders and fx accordingly. Then hit record/play and you are recording the master stereo track. Once that's done, save the song. Now you are ready to burn. Press the CD button until you get to settings. Make sure the write button is highlighted. Also, make sure you record at 4x. For some reason 8x just doesn't seem to work. A few more seconds of burn time won't matter once you're listening to that masterpiece (or in my case messterpiece). Now click until you're back to CDWRITE. if it's one song, do Disc at Once. Curser over to New. You'll see a song list appear and if it's not the song you want, then highlight the song title and turn the jog wheel until you find what you want. Then click execute.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:56 pm 
City Slicker

Many thanks SK.. I have repeated your advice several times, overall have attempted this about thirty times or more and no matter what I do with any of my songs the same thing happens every time 'illigal supported media' and the disc pops out, the discs are new and infact on one occasion I did get a recording but it was a CDA (whatever that is) I can play the disc on my computer but when I email it it cannot be opened, I purchased the unit used so maybe it has some issues, I even have a problem transfering a file to my computer otherewise I could burn CD that way.
I am just going to walk away for a while and find some common sense, Thank you again I do appreciate your help..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:01 pm 
Marker Magician

Illegal media refers to the actual CD to which you are trying to burn. It could be a bad (individual) CD, a CD that has already been recorded, or a brand of cd the AW doesn't like. Make sure you have not purchased DVD blanks - a salesperson may have given you the wrong product. there are certainly more DVD s on the shelves than CD-R these days. The AW also is picky about CD-RW media too.

All the advice given is good, but the message you are getting refers to the media itself. If push comes to shove, you can get your mix off the AW via USB to a computer.

Hope i am still here at 86 - and using my machine still - Think it will last another 30 years?

Good on you for keeping your hand in the game and learning new skills !!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:05 pm 
Marker Magician

what is the issue with the computer transfer. We could help you out there, perhaps. These machines are pretty reliable.

Have you tried to play a commercial CD on the AW, just to see if the AW's burner/player will read it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:23 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

daks wrote:
one occasion I did get a recording but it was a CDA (whatever that is)

That means you created an audio CD, playable on any stand alone music CD player. As opposed to a computer data disc containing the sound as wav files.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:55 pm 
City Slicker

Byron.. Yes I have checked before and can play a standard CD without a problem.. I have even got a no data sign on occasion.. all very weird I know !! I am just embarrassed..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:11 am 
City Slicker

Byron ..I forgot to add that from your songs I conclude you are an Afghanistan Vet. I am a WW2 vet from the desert in N Africa.. I have the feeling that you guys got the worst of the deal.. Ron.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:56 am 
Marker Magician

Not me that is the vet, but that song was inspired by a particular vet, known to the composer. The daughter of the composer said there are girls in the army too, so hence the third verse,

As for who got the worse deal - all war is a bad deal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:57 am 
Lone Star

Favourite food: chinese
Where was this site when I was pulling my hair out over the past few years? Oh well, at least I finally found you...here's my recent problem...I am having a problem that I have never faced before on my AW16G. After
recording an hour long show and recording a stereo track and saving it
(by the book)...it does not show up as a track that can burned to CD.
This is the first time I have run into this problem. I have done this
before with hour long shows...but now...no way to burn a CD of my
material. ANY IDEAS? I have tried two seperate hours with the same
results. I am not new to the inner workings of this thing...save to stereo and it shows up on the list. Always has at least. I am puzzled.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:49 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

After making the mixdown (or copying to the stereo track), have you saved the song? It's crucial you work with a disc saved version of the song.

Is there enough room on the HD? Have you optimized?

We've been here since June 2004, and in a slightly different form since December 2002. ;-)

Welcome to the forum, make yourself at home. If you find any food here, feel free to take it. Unless it is cheese, in that case it is mine (except Cheddar).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:12 pm 
Marker Magician

Check the virtual track number of the stereo track (via the monitoring button on the G as I recall)

Perhaps the undo button got pushed accidentially??? Hold down the undo button and check the list of actions taken. Of course if you have optimized, the list will be vacant. But if you haven't optimized there will perhaps be a clue as to where the suspect stereo file may have gone.

Sometimes you think you are creating a stereo file, when really all you are doing is listening, because the record button was not engaged properly when the mixdown was bugun and the fact that the record light did not illuminate was overlooked.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:06 am 
Lone Star

Undo says 07 RECORD TR ST
06 RECORD TR ST
05 RECORD TR ST
AND SO ON...i DID RUN OUT OF MEMORY WHEN RECORDING LAST NIGHT WHICH I found out is a REAL BAD THING!!! EVERYTHING WAS WASTED. FOR THE FIRST HOUR. I think that hour is a gonner. I had to delete a bunch (6 gigs) of previous live material to record what I have now. Any way to retrieve that first hour?
I optimized both hours in question but the CD IS FIRST...NOW WHAT? Now the UNDO/REDO list is blank but it still has a stereo track left on it. I can go to the monitor / stereo-on and play the stereo track but it still does not show up in my burnable tracks under "NEW"...Go Figgur. I am still out of options and foraging for food here.

Last edited by ratzorizzo on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:10 am 
Lone Star

i PREFER CHEDDAR ANYWAY...I did find some summer sausage on my last visit but it had mold on it so I passed. Oh...If this is a reformatting the hard-drive thing...I will ask a prerequisite question...(just in case)...since I have you here. I have NO CDs with this puppy so if I reformat the drive if necessary...what will I lose? I still have a lot of valuable stuff on here. Does it all need to be backed up? Will I lose all the sound effects and pads? THANKS AHEAD OF TIME..
DAN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:38 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Heya Dan,

You will keep the effects and operating system. You will lose your projects and the sample pads.

After a reformat, your machine is empty (projectwise) but ready to use. I reformat every +/- 5 projects.