The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: fx for a dummie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:23 am 
City Slicker

Favourite food: curry
Machine type: AW16G
hi compleatly new to recording on a multi track and have just bought an aw16 managed to record but the previous owner must have set fx how do i turn them all off so i can start from scratch
cheers all

Post subject: Re: fx for a dummie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:49 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Hi Cyp and welcome to the forum.

To get the most out of the forum, check out the stickies (posts on top) in every section, and check the docs page (www.dijonstock.com and then docs page from the menu). One of the documents there is the "recording 101" which is a good place to start.

If you have any questions, never hesitate to ask.

Answering your question: press the scene button (somewhere on the right). Choose "initial data" and recall. Put all faders completely down and then back up again. Done! :)

Enjoy!

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:12 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
If there are pieces the previous owner developed or if the dreaded demo song is still loaded on the machine, scenes may be recalled automatically as the songs play. When a new song is created or loaded the setting of the previous song remain until changed by the operator, either manually or by a scene set up to do so. So Robbie's advice to recall "Initial Data" from the scene menu will fix that situation, setting everything off. When you pull the faders all the way up and down to "recapture" them - don't forget the red stereo fader, as it controls the overall volume to the whole machine.

Welcome aboard. Have fun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:01 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Yes welcome. To add to the above info, in addition to learning about the 2 fx engines, also become learned about the use of scenes. Once you've cleared all the precious data using the initial data setting, as you begin to experiment with things such as panning, room verb, dynamics on one of your recorded instruments or vocals, saving them to a scene as you go will be a great help.

good luck and feel free to ask more questions after giving it a shot.

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:40 am 
City Slicker

Favourite food: curry
thanks guys everything is back to zero and i'm ready to start.
read recording 101 lots of info the `16g looks a bit complecated at the moment so i'm sure i'll be back with a few more questions soon
thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:50 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Yes, been there - it looks complicated. It's a matter of finding the logic. It'll take some time, but when it's there you'll find the G very easy to operate and you'll probably even find the manual readable. That's what it is for lots of folks.

Any more questions are always welcome, as is your music, recording experiences, small talk, cheese and coffee. Not necessarily in that order.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:21 pm 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
Recording 101, is the gateway to the learning curve! The great thing about Recording 101, is that it will have you up and recording quickly.

When you run into issues, and get stumped by things like virtual faders, scenes, problems burning the stereo track to CD, and most of the other issues that have tripped almost all of us up at some point, this forum will become a great resource.

I can attest though, to the fact that the G can be mastered.....at least to an acceptable degree of proficiency. It just takes some time. That said, I certainly remember the day I unpacked mine, and I had a rush of buyers remorse because I was certain that I was in WAY over my head.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:26 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

I was downright intimidated! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:06 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I was literally sweating with anticipation as I read over my printed copy of Recording 101 and slowly pushed each button on the G. When that 1st input was connected to the track with the line, I finally took a breath. It's not so bad once you get started.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:14 pm 
Marker Magician

My first experience was quite a while before I even knew this forum existed. No 101 for me. I learned from the manual, of all places. Some guys I knew wanted to make a recording. they rented a G for a month and gave it to me to learn with for the first two weeks. I made two recordings at the end of that month - the celtic type of the guys I was helping. and then a grungy type band of youthful players, one of which was the son of the singer in older guy's band.

I only have G backups of those sessions - I kind of dread listening to them again - someday i will, given access to a G.

I understand so much more now. I had no idea what a gate was when I took on the grunge band. I was informed by examining the percussion presets in the DYN menu. Also, I learned about insert points on a mixing board, a forced search for more gain when I discovered the pres were weak when using an SM58, and me under the impression that the signal needed to be hot. I had no idea what differentiated a VU meter from a peak meter. Gain structure?? Not a clue. Headroom??? Severely lacking in those first tries.

This really is a good hobby. Just did sound for a show last night. talent was a duo called Madison Violet. I have posted work of theirs I recorded at a previous concert. Very talented. they recently were awarded top prize in 2009 in an international song writing competition. ( John Lennon song writing competition) The people's picks from an internet poll were then judged by some industry biggies, so it was quite an honour to win.

I"ll post my 2009 recording of the song, called The Ransom, when I go to my studio computer.

Here is a link to the prize announcement. There is a link to the contest recording of the song there. i am a lucky guy to get to record great players. Since i bought my machines I have met so many talented people.

http://www.jlsc.com/winners/2009b/winners.php