The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:18 am 
Greenhorn

Hi folks

i wonder if anyone can offer any advice.

i've been trying to backup songs to CD this evening. before i started i optimized each song to reduce the size. then i started and successfully backed up a couple of songs, but on the third try, half way through burning the second cd for a song i got an error message which said "CD or HD Access Error'. I started all over again and the same thing happened. Then I tried another song and that seemed to work ok. The songs range in size between 900mb and 1.5gb. really annoying....anyone got any advice?

i'm doing this on an AW1600 by the way. i guess i may have to investigate using the usb option to backup. my only reservation with this is that i can't see how i can copy everything for a song top the transport folder at the same time (ie all tracks, all virtual tracks, stereo track and virtual stereo tracks). i want to do everything for a song at the same time. is that possible?

thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:10 am 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
Alex,

If the error always occurs on the same song, then you might have a problem with the hard drive. :(

However, there is a much easier way to backup on the 1600. And you don't use the Transport folder.

Connect via USB and you'll see 2 new drives. Open a drive and you'll see a "SONG" folder. Inside these song folders are sub-folders for each song with all virtual tracks, scenes, etc. The folder extension for each song is AWS. You can either drag a particular song over to the PC hard drive or backup the entire SONG folder from each 1600 drive. The latter being the safest, although it takes a while.

BTW, there is only one hard drive in the 1600, but it appears as 2 to the PC. Why? Beats me.

Also, don't try and mess with the contents of the AWS song folders or use the WAV files in them for processing on a PC. Only do this via the Transport folder.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:54 am 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
Hi Ralf,

HogTime wrote:
Connect via USB and you'll see 2 new drives. Open a drive and you'll see a "SONG" folder. Inside these song folders are sub-folders for each song with all virtual tracks, scenes, etc. The folder extension for each song is AWS. You can either drag a particular song over to the PC hard drive or backup the entire SONG folder from each 1600 drive. The latter being the safest, although it takes a while.

Excellent advice! I use this way of backup too and must say it works perfect and fast.
Another big advantage is that you are saving the undo-files too this way. If you dont need this, do "optimize" before copying the files to minimize the filesize.

Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:12 am 
Greenhorn

Hi Ralph/Andreas

Many thanks for your advice - I just successfully backed up all my songs via USB!! phew!

Thanks again

Alex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:05 am 
Lone Star

Favourite food: Ribs
Machine type: AW16G
Hi, was wondering if anyone could help me. :( I've got a 16G that's worked wonderfully for months and all of a sudden it doesn't recognize the cd drive! I can't transfer my files off! I'm Freakin' out :( I have alot of stuff on there that I need to get off and another recording gig in three days! Help.. Help... plz. It tells me that 'cd drive is not recognized'...what's that mean? is it dead? What do I do? How can I test it before buying a new drive? Has anyone ever found an adapter of sorts to turn that bay into some kind of usb port? Is that possible? (Oh, you lucky 1600 ers) [-o<

:shaking:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:06 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Hi Bjay and welcome to the forum.

It could be anything, but if you're lucky, it's faulty contacts. Somewhere in the beginning of the manual is written how to install the drive. Working backwards, remove the drive. Clean the contacts, and reinstall.

If it doesn't work, there are broken down G's for sale on ebay which you could buy for spare parts. Use the CD unit of that one.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:52 pm 
Lone Star

Ok, thanks... I'll try the contact cleaning thing tonight. What do I clean them with? Anything special?

Another question I had is that I if I have wav files on the drive and I can not get them off through the cdrw (which seems to be the only way with the G) is there a way I could hook up the drive to a pc via an external adapter or external drive case and transfer the files that way? (Allowing me to work this week and get it emptied to make room for more recordings) Would my pc recognize the drive and the files? Would it be easy to tell what's what? Most of my recordings have live (one stereo track) anyway lately. I have other stuff on it I've been working on myself, I really didn't want to lose this stuff.

This drive has always been pretty finicky. It doesn't allow me to burn to anything but CDRWs, I tried CDRs and it wouldn't work. (This is not normal, right?) also... it often tells me that there is 'no media' when there is a cdrw in the drive, it likes the unused ones alot better but isn't that the whole plus to using CDRWs in the first place? So we can Re-Use them? This drive doesn't like that. (I'm thinking now, Maybe it would be a good idea to change the drive anyway and get one that works better)
I absolutely Love this machine! Was thinking about upgrading eventually just to have the usb feature, it would save me lots of money and time spent on CDRWs. (especially since it likes new ones all of the time)

Any knowledge you have on this would be much appreciated.

:crybaby: bj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:02 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Hi Bjay,

I don't know what is best for cleaning those contacts, but a dry cloth can never harm anything if you're just trying to remove some corrosion. I don't even know what the contacts look like as my supplier installed it for me before I left the store with it.

The Yammie uses some customized file format. I don't think it's worth trying to get your projects by removing the drive. The PC will recognize your drive, but I don't think it's going to understand the Yamaha's file system, let alone the files.

I've always found the CD unit to be picky, brandwise. But most A-brands work fine, and the later brandless types work as well (where years ago was a problem). I tried using a CDRW, but no cigar - and I love cigars. So, no CDRW anymore. CDR's are so cheap nowadays I don't have to eat one ounce of cheese less. Which is good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:34 pm 
Lone Star

Thanks Rob,

are you saying that i should replace the CDRW burner to a CDR burner? (or just not to use CDRWs in the new burner?) I'm not sure why the burner doesn't burn to CDR. It always tells me that there is no media (but it sometimes does that when I put in a CDRW as well, not usually when it's one that's never been used before. I think it's just a screwed up apparatus, but I'll definately try your connection cleaning thing first, like you said; if I'm Lucky...

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Bj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:38 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Strange, i use the CDRW's frequently in my G. Never had a problem using and reusing em. It may depend on the installed drive or the firmware. Did you check if you have the latest frimware ?

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:44 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

And it depends on the brand of the CDR/CDRW.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:54 pm 
Marker Magician

I used a G for a few months a long time ago. (now 1600 and 2400 are on my desk).

I seem to recall that, as you stated, the G likes new media. When using CDRW, I seem to recall that the disc had to be wiped (erased) before the G would recognize it, Disc utilities offer a quick erase and also a higher standard (complete??) erase. the second is what I used to do. I performed this on my PC, prior to insertion to the G. I had ok luck with CDRW. the ones i used were older max speed of 4X. Perhaps this type of disc would better suit the G.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:16 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Yes before you do anything, try a standard cd-r and see if that works.

rz-land