The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:41 pm 
City Slicker

Machine type: AW16G
I quickly glanced through this thread but I couldn't find anything about this problem I'm having.
I t seems that whenever I try to write to a CD-RW I get the CD Write Error message.
Any ideas why?

All thanks would be greatly appreciated. I'm only burning a test cd and I don't really want to go
through a bunch of them when I have these re-writable ones.

All help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Jeremykeys!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:17 am 
City Slicker

No need to worry about this. I'm not sure why but on my second try, it just worked. There
may have been something wrong with the disk. Or maybe it was pilot error. Either way, I'm now
burning onto the disc and can overwrite and check my mixes as I go on my car stereo and my
living room stereo. I do have 2 sets of monitors here in my studio but I like to compare mixes and
hopefully get it right!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:12 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
I can tell you even though it's been a while, CDRW's weren't always friendly to me. Do you have the 1gG or 1600? The 1600 has USB capabilities to pull the tracks or master mix off to your computer or a flash drive.

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:24 pm 
City Slicker

I have the older one. The 16G. Believe me, if I could use USB, I would be. The only reason I'm using my old 16G is because I've had a combination of issues with my music computer, my DAW which is Cubase 10 Pro as well as my Presonus mixer pooping out on me. I had almost sold my 16G but just hadn't got around to doing that and I love making my own music.
I think that maybe it was a bad disc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:37 pm 

If you still enjoy recording on the 16G, find yourself an AW1600. They can be had for a fraction of the cost these days. Then you have the same basic system with USB. You can the option to finish the song there or take it to your computer to mix.

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:13 am 
Marker Magician

And there are several features on the 1600 worthy of note besides the USB. Eight xlr inputs. Also 24 bit recording (with less inputs and tracks available).

Also IMHO the Pads are lots more useful on the 1600 than on the G. If you record to a click, the Pads can be automated to trigger following the the Tempo through the Grid Recording utility.

There is a Pitch fix which can be fun to experiment with ( maybe the G has that ??).

One thing you can't do is transfer wav files out via the CD burner. The burner only makes audio discs, no data discs unfortunately. You have to use the USB to get individual tracks out, to share via CD. but no one does that anymore. Still it is annoying if you need to do that in a unique circumstance.

Same machine other than those differences. USB is big. So are the Pads if you do projects requiring many tracks or stringing together samples. The pads can be triggered manually or via automation, to create a beat and loop it, or "fly in" licks, or a repeated chorus, or sounds, in stereo, with storage enough for more than a minute or two on each of the four pads.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:23 am 
City Slicker

Sounds like a good machine. I'm currently looking at getting a new mixer. I have a nice little home studio that I like to play in an I DO like my toys!
The mixer is a Presonus Studiolive 32SC. I have an old Studiolive 16.4.2 but it needs a big expensive repair. I'd rather just put the money into a new one.
My AW16G is looking like my backup system. The thing with the new mixer is that you can record directly onto it.
Here's a little studio tour I did last year. Forgive my poor camera work but it gives you an idea of my fun little space. Feel free to check out any of my other videos.

https://youtu.be/VQiG4Rowym4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:14 am 
Roper

I can certainly understand your frustration with CD-RW discs. CD-RW discs have always had a reputation of not being dependable.
I fully understand it that people who own a 1600 or 2400 love it because of the USB connectivity.
However, let's not forget that it's an easy task to transfer AW16 wave files to a CDR disc, and then use that disc to import wave files into your PC, to save as individual files, or to be imported into a music project. Adobe Audition, Reaper, or otherwise. Wave files are simply wave files.

The process of exporting wave files is simple.

If you have a song project that you've recorded to tracks 1 through 8, and the paired tracks:

Load your song.
Place a CDR disc into the CD tray.
Press the Edit Key down to Export.
Turn the jog wheel to select individual tracks, paired tracks, or tracks 1-16 to be exported, or stereo tracks you had recorded.
Arrow down to EXEC
Press Enter
When prompted to confirm, press OK.

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:43 pm 
City Slicker

Thank you. I've been doing this for some time now. I agree with you. I think the problem is simply that the CDRWs aren't very good. I was just using them because I have a bunch and since you can reuse them, I figured it would be less waste. I eventually got one to work but when I play it in my car, it tends to glitch so I've given up on them. I'm just using a regular CDR. I'm only using my old AW 16 because my main system isn't working properly Not that I don't think the AW is a great machine. On the contrary. I think it rocks. I just find sometimes I could use more tracks. I'm hoping to replace my mixer in a couple of months and also get my music computer running Cubase 10 Pro back up and running. This Covid thing has kind of got in the way. Oh well. We make do as we can.
Here are a couple of songs that I did several years ago on my AW. Hope you enjoy them.

https://soundcloud.com/jeremykeys/motherlode

https://soundcloud.com/jeremykeys/01-a-pirates-lament

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:31 pm 

jeremykeys wrote:
Thank you. I've been doing this for some time now. I agree with you. I think the problem is simply that the CDRWs aren't very good. I was just using them because I have a bunch and since you can reuse them, I figured it would be less waste. I eventually got one to work but when I play it in my car, it tends to glitch so I've given up on them. I'm just using a regular CDR. I'm only using my old AW 16 because my main system isn't working properly Not that I don't think the AW is a great machine. On the contrary. I think it rocks. I just find sometimes I could use more tracks. I'm hoping to replace my mixer in a couple of months and also get my music computer running Cubase 10 Pro back up and running.

If you can find yourself a good deal on an AW2400 I think you'd be extremely happy. They are out there and reasonable. FYI I enjoyed your youtube video tour. Great studio.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:11 pm 
City Slicker

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm planning on getting a Presonus SL32 sc mixer. I think it will be the best fit for my studio.

Cheers! Hope all is well!