The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Zoom R24 Review.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
I must correct the Phantom power abbilities of the Zoom R24. It provides power to input 5/6 by default if you switch it on but can also provide to 3/4 en 7/8 so that is six condensor mics at once. That is quite a bit.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:48 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
fordirk wrote:
I must correct the Phantom power abbilities of the Zoom R24. It provides power to input 5/6 by default if you switch it on but can also provide to 3/4 en 7/8 so that is six condensor mics at once. That is quite a bit.

Do you need phantom power with condensors?

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:37 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Yes Dirk, 96 kHz doubles the required speed. Class 6 will be too slow even from the theoretic point of view. Class 10 it is!

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:41 pm 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
I had no idea there were different classes of SD cards. I've never really used them before getting my Korg M50, which uses them. This might explain why some of the cards I've bought seen to take longer to save and load than others.

Intredasting!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:14 pm 

RZ wrote:
fordirk wrote:

Do you need phantom power with condensors?

I have three (cheap) condensor mics and none of them work without phantom power. The dynamic ones like shure SM58 don't need external power. I find that in a studio condensors will record much more acurate, even the cheaper ones. For acoustic guitar the combination small diafragm and large diafragm yields great results when mixed together.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:08 pm 

I have been trying to make a rhytm track yesterday evening on the Zoom. After i figured out how to set the samples for each pad it should have been easy but programming the rhytm tracks on the tiny screen (which is ok to set parameters) is all but impossible. It takes forever and that is no good for me.

I then tried to do it in real time which is another possibility. Whenever i tried to play back the loop sequencer it kept rolling the sounds (snareroll, kickdrumroll, hihatroll, all together, very anoying) that i had set ready instead of playing the track as i had played it. If i pressed delete in recording mode it started to play back the track as i played it. I can't seem to get passed this.

I also found out that the drum pads are not pressure or touch sensitive when you have your own samples underneath which is a bit dissapointing.

More on this later ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:35 pm 

Recording at Full throttle now but making drumtracks elsewhere. Will be posted when finished.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:12 pm 

After a couple of days Fiddling with the R24 i noticed a couple of things.

Once your wavs are recorded there is no way inside the machine to copy a track, move it forward a couple of Microseconds or even plain delete the track. You can set it inactive but that is not the same. The machine is built with the idea that everyone will have a PC at the ready cause any editing you want to do on the dry wavs must be done after importing them to the included cubase LE5.

The fact that it is an LE is noticeable by the included VST's. Most everything is there like EQ with parameters, high pass low pass etc. But when yop look at stuff you'd also expect like reverbs you'll notice there is only a very limited version of RoomWorks and that's not going to cut my cheese. So if you want some decent editing tools on the pc you will have to upgrade or start looking for some additional (free ??) vst's. Let's walk down that road for a while.

Just plain recording tracks on that machine is pretty straight forward and as long as you can just play the tracks without need for editing it's all simple. Even the included reverbs and chorus sound decent to my ears.

The bounce operation is also nice cause anything playing on the R24 is bounced to that track as a wav, including the samples you put under the pads and trigger manually or otherwise. That wav can be used again to trim and assign to another track as a loop so possibillities are andless.

It is very different from working with The AW16G though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:46 pm 

After another couple of days it started to dawn to me that the bounce operation of this machine could possibly save the day. After all you can have anything play back and bounce a single or a stereo track to another single or stereo track. You could have a track play and then mute it at a certain point and switch it on again but it may be hard to now where you are exactly unless you recorded to a click track and can start from a measure or beat. You can have all the tracks play and mute the ones you don't want while bouncing to the master track to get rid of certain passages but that may also be unpracticall. At least you would be able to do some of the editing this way.

You can also punch in and out for a passage you want to delete by not recording anything. That should work for any track. I geuss it's best to copy your wavs first in case it goes wrong. If i'm not mistaken the original file is affect if you do this. A copy track would be a great asset here.

Now since we can bounce we can use an insert on a track and bounce it to another getting two tracks as a result. The original and the one with the insert effect imprinted on it. That way you can use as many inserts as you like with sort of an undo after the facts. Come to think of it if i bounce a track with no changes at all to another track i also have a copy. It only takes me as long as the track is but maybe that is not so bad. It is not possible to bounce a single track to multiple tracks.

I found the delay buried deep into the parameters of the inserts which are complex chains of effects with may parameters.

I would like to find a way to shift a track for a couple of millis like i did with the WA16G.

I'll keep you posted...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:00 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Do you not have the 16G any longer?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:13 pm 

Byron wrote:
Do you not have the 16G any longer?

They will have to pry it from my cold dead hands ... Not sure if i will keep both my G's though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:44 pm 

After getting to grips with the editing in cubase i think it will be hard to get back to the AW (shame on me :oops: ) but copying and shifting a track in cubase is done in 3.6 seconds flat. Just click duplicate track and slide it to the right (you must be in the right mode for this).

On the right of the screenshot you see some of the VST pluggins at work. The dynamics are included The Omniverb is a free version. There still are lots of free VST's on the net if you are willing to look for a while.

After this what can i say about the zoom. By itself the machine leaves you wanting but with cubase at it's side it's just awesome and what is more it all works ! Recording on the pc can be a drag so being able to use dedicated hardware saves a lot of headaches. Then i switch to card reader mode and drag all the files into cubase. If you had fun recording it will continue there.

It is so simple to cut out pieces you don't want, reverse tracks, flip stereo, use inserts and eq's and dynamics all you want ...

One of the wonders is all the little 'R' marks on the screen. (on each track and each vst) They are meanth to record automation so you get flying knobs and faders all over the screen. And i can put the Zoom in daw mode so i can use the faders to record automation for three banks of eight tracks. very 8) ...

Must try that out next.

Will be continued.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:54 pm 

From Cubase LE i can export a mix to MP3 format. I can only do this 20 times within a one month period. After the period expires its no longer possible to export to MP3. If i want to do it unlimited i have to pay 14.99 Euro for a license. :( It's a bit sad that they trick you into paying after you purchased their product.

I did have a lot of succes in finding free vst plugins so the Cubase LE version is easily extended with delays, reverbs and compressors to name a few. Even synths and vocoders.. Just drop the dll's in the vst plugin folder and they are ready for use. Be carefull that you choose resource friendly ones. That can be tested with the vst performance tool that shows how much load they put on the system.