The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:41 am 
Graduated from newbie status

Favourite food: Cheese
Machine type: AW16G
OK, other than our little Christmas album I did with my family last year for some friends, this is my first time doing everything on the G, from tracking to mixing.

So the issue I'm facing: I have a rack reverb I want to use instead of some of the G's internal reverbs. I have almost everything tracked and I want to do this just at the mix-down stage.

So I'm wondering how to do that post-tracking. I always think of this like an out and then a return. How do I do this on the G?

(I'm using the behringer v verb pro - it has 1/4" and 3 prong mic ins and outs... it also has optical ins and outs).

So what I want to do is this: When I get to mixing, say, the vocals, I want to have the vocal track on the G, send it out to the v verb, then return it to the G onto the stereo track with control over the return or how much of it is wet vs. dry onto the stereo track.

Do I need to do everything through the opticals? I'm not seeing any options for "return" on the G. So without any expert knowledge, I would do this: Send the track out to the v verb. Then return it to an input and activate that input with the effect engaged from the v verb, then blend the 2 into the stereo track.

Is that crazy? It seems like a poor man's "effects return" but when it comes down to it, I'm certainly not a rich man, so whatever.

As always, any advice would be most appreciated. I am learning from past experience. A year ago I would have just tried everything for hours, brought myself to the point of total emotional meltdown, and THEN asked you guys. This time I've read the manual for the 50th time and I'm asking before the meltdown.

Thanks guys

Jon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:49 am 

It seems from the manual that this has something to do with "bus recording" -- as a kid I rode the short bus, and that's all I understand about "bus" in general. Someone school me plz or at least link me to the post where this has already been explained. I did search a bit but can't find the direct knowledge I'm seeking.

Help me Dijonstock; you're my only hope...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:13 am 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Hot and Fatty
you can patch out through the AUx and back to an input channel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:22 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
good advice. out the Aux out (probably mono) > patch cord to > a pair of ins ( from your verb box ). These will be sent to the stereo bus, if they are assigned to do that (monitor button). Don't forget to pan them to your liking, often hard L/R with a verb.

There is a software switch to assign the Stereo/Aux outs as eithe stereo Out or Aux out. this must be done first of course.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:28 pm 

OK thanks guys. I'm in the process of basement construction and re-setting up my studio with new monitors, so things are taking a while, but I did get it to run out through the aux outs to the verb and back. It makes sense.

I think I'm just still wrapping my mind around "bus" -- it just doesn't make sense to me. Routing to the "bus" track is like not really a track at all but shows up in the final mix. Anyway I think all this "bus" talk just threw me but it makes sense. Per always - thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:20 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Bus is a term to denote a track (mono- if you are "bumping" ie combining - several tracks down to a single track) or stereo ( eg the stereo 2-track, on which the outputs of many tracks are combined) On the stereo track we create the mix. But a bus can too be used to combine signals of chosen tracks and run them through an EFF such as a reverb (send-return mode_. That EFF bus's 2-track return is routed to the Stereo Bus. So one bus is fed into another bus in the creation of the mix.

Bus -?? -- because it transports many signals, just as a passenger bus carries many people.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:51 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
Most of the old professional mixing desks have 4 bus faders, or more on some, mainly for having all the vocal tracks sent into say bus 1, then all the guitars to bus 2, and the drum tracks sent to say bus 3 etc, and the norm would be to put a compressor on bus one to glue the vocals together, and the same for the rythm section, and it just keeps everything nicely balanced and tight, and once all is done you only have 4 faders to worry about in the mix, as opposed to 24.
Good luck with what your doing.

T.

https://tmacmusic12.wixsite.com/tmac

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac