The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:08 am 
Dude

Favourite food: Pizza
Machine type: AW4416
Hello again to all of you guys! In the past, reading articles of sound on sound I found things on my Aw 4416 that did not know before, the routing, ATT eccecc ...
There are still things instead as they are explained, still do not understand how to use them. Starting from oscillator, I do not understand how to record it in a channel. I do not understand also use of Aux, it seems that with it you can make more of a dynamics processor for a single channel, but how? Where Is That? In addition there is often talk of side chain and ducking ... But where is it? And how is it used?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:23 am 
Dude

Moreover, (if not too much to ask :D ) I would ask how you use the virtual track, seen that since I represented I have not yet used. What are the advantages? And how do you use?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:29 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Forget the Oscillator. It is of no use to you.

Side chain and Ducking will be of no use to you for quite a while, if ever. So no need to explain them either, at this point.

You should begin by understanding how to make a recording. Keep it simple. Sing a song or play the piano or gutar. Better yet, record two tracks >vocal and instrument.

Now try to add reverb to both tracks you just recorded. This is where you will begin to understand about the AUX setup on the 4416.

An AUX bus is a two channel carrier. Just like a city bus carries many people, An AUX bus carries signals from multiple tracks.

The 4416 has 8 AUX buses. Buses 1-6 can be assigned to various purposes, but this is beyond what you need to be involved with, yet.

Buses 7 and 8 though are, by default, assigned to the the Two EFFects >>EFF1 and EFF 2.

You can adjust how much or little each track sends to the bus. This is done with the faders (sliders) on the 4416.

Play with this and write back when you get some reverb to your mix. Or if you can't get it, message back with what you have done and someone will help you.

I myself am not an 4416 owner or user, but i have read up on them more than once. The manual is quite hard to follow, if you don't have the background/experience.

Do you have a manual written in your language?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:37 pm 
Dude

Sure! I have a manual written in my language, and for better or worse I understand almost everything ... Even for the use of the effects are quite satisfied. But really do not understand this thing of Aux! In the "Dyn" I find Aux 1 and 2 (where are the other four?). Window Keyin Source insert Aux1. Now in the Fader Mode prermo Aux 1 and with faders can add compression to the various channels Mas ... how I can come in handy? If I wanted to put a gate and a Comp in the same channel, I can choose one or another but I can never get them to work together! Obviously the user is not so detailed, and from this point of view says little / no.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:09 pm 
Marker Magician

Gate and compressor are both Dynamics-type processors. There is only one slot per track (input and/or monitor) , so you can't have both working on the same track.

That said, I think you may be able to route a signal from an input to one of the Omni outs and then bring it in through another input (using a patch cable). On this input you may be able to apply the compressor you desire. ???

I will let one of the 4416 users who watch this forum let you know how to do this. With no machine in front of me I can't test that how i am interpreting the manual's instruction is actually the way it will work. I do know that the 4416 has significantly more routing options than the 2400, 1600 or G.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:31 am 
Dude

Yes, in fact usually apply a dynamics processor, and then register the track already compressata in another channel, this way I can use gate / comp or limiter on the same track. Also I finally understood the use of Aux 1 and 2! Although I have not yet figured out where are the 3, 4, 5, or 6! #-o Thanks again Byron! Save me again! =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:43 am 
Marker Magician

The other AUX buses can be assigned to the Omni Outs, through the routing capabilities. You would do this to send a mix of some or all of your tracks, via the Aux bus, out; usually to a processor of some kind, but also to stage monitor(s) if the AW is being used to host and mix Front Of House sound at a gig.

The Aux buses are just one of many things that can be routed to the Omni outs. For example, If you were wanting only to compress the lead vocal during a gig for instance, you would would route only that channel. Once you have sent something out of the Omnis, you of course leave digital. You will have to patch the analog signal back in through cables, should your purposes so require.

There are routing options for the digital outs too.