The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: De-Esser Aw-4416
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:58 am 
Dude

Favourite food: Pizza
Machine type: AW4416
Hello to all boys, often in my AW4416 I find myself having to use a de-esser to remove those annoying "s" that pierce the mix. What I wanted to know is if there is something in the dynamics processors like a De-Esser (without buying a Y56K card or needing to export to pc). ](*,) If anyone knows some useful trick would save me! Thank you all and sorry for the English! :mrgreen: (I am Italian)

Post subject: Re: De-Esser Aw-4416
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:45 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Cesco,

Read this: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14940&hilit=esser

And this: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12874&hilit=esser#p140020

It might help you as I think it's also possible on the 4416.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:43 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I would vote for finding a used y56k card. I use the de-esser all the time. And the other goodies on the card expand the polishing capabilities of the Aw in many ways. They do come up on ebay every now and again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:48 pm 
Dude

Two excellent and useful reading! The first I had already read here in the forum but I'm missing some step. When the "track view" press "Waves" tells me "No Track to Open Waves Display". I do not understand then how to proceed. Can anyone help?
The second reading instead is a genius! I tried it and actually works great, has only one fault, that of "muffle" the voice, I tried to repeat the equalization parameters, and more or less remains a little more shut the voice. Maybe something wrong? The cuts are to be made on the equalizer frequency channel or on the settings of some particular effect? Someone has already had the same problem? Thanks for the tips! I hope to solve something, because now take the card Y56K is tough, because I burned the MPC 2000 XL, and I need to buy a new mic pre! #-o

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:16 pm 
Ranch Hand

I don`t know if it is mentioned in the supplied links as I have`nt had time to look at them, but have you tried positioning the mic so that the `ess` is not so prominent, everyone always assumes you have to have it pointing directly to your mouth, I always have my mic at forehead height and tilted down towards my mouth and that works everytime for me.
Having said that everyones singing style is different, but I would definitely try different angles, we are talking very slight angles of course not 90 deg :)
Good luck.

T.

https://tmacmusic12.wixsite.com/tmac

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:54 am 
Marker Magician

Cesco wrote:
but I'm missing some step. When the "track view" press "Waves" tells me "No Track to Open Waves Display". I do not understand then how to proceed. #-o

The step you are missing is that the wave-view window is not showing you what you want to see.

Check these things

Make sure your Vocal Track is the current track

At the top of the Track screen is a small window the tells you what track will be pictured (displayed) in the view window. Make sure that number is the number of the track on which you have your vocal.

If the wav is not already displayed then cursor to the button that turns the wav display on/off and turn it on. Now you are looking at the wav of your vocal.

Next, if the wav is not very prominent, (or conversely too big) explore the buttons in the wav display window. They change amplitude, size (length shown), cursor position, track # of display. there is a listen button too.

You will use these controls to precisely locate the beginning and ending points of the sections you want to attenuate (play at lower volume). Drop markers at these points, or work directly back and forth with the EDIT screen, the purpose of which will be to MOVE a small section to another track. When done, this section is not on the original track any more because you used MOVE, not COPY.

Set the volume of this "destination" track a few dB lower (I'd use the VIEW button >FADER screen to do this precisely and also I'd save it to a scene)

Make sure the new track is "on" in the MONITOR windo, so it will be part of the mix

Now play back the mix. and those small sections should play back with less volume and no glitches, as long as you were careful to always accurately observe and set the proper starting point on the destination track AND if any EQ and DYN and EFF settings are identical for the original and the new track. Save all this stuff to the scene as you dial it in.

You will be able to do all these steps quite efficiently with some practice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:15 pm 
Dude

Thanks for the help! But I really can not figure out how to do it! I state that I use a AW4416, maybe it is different from the other machines? Excuse me for asking, but you could explain it in a way a little more detail? [-o< I was not Acquaintances of this thing, and could really save a lot of my mix! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:06 pm 
Marker Magician

Sorry for my last post. I was describing the way it would happen on G,1600 or 2400. Upon reading the manual for the 4416, I find that the 4416 does not display a wav-form picture. The 4416 uses a "PART" to show the needed section of a recorded track, shown as a rectangular boundary indicator , but providing no wav-form information. Still, the process would be the same, in that you want to locate start and end points for a "Part" and then move the offending ("bad") sections to an alternate track, for playback at a different volume.

I think that T.Mac had the best advice though - >> learn to place the mic and use a pop filter screen in front of the mic to avoid capturing the sibilance (SSSS sounds) in the first place, rather than invoking elaborate means through which to overcome.

The 4416 has different, much more flexible, but more complex, routing architecture, in comparison to the later AW machines. great machine though, once you get the workflow down.

Good luck. I will keep my eye on your posts and read the manual first, before I try to help you next time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:21 am 
Dude

Thanks for the tips useful! I must say that with the 4416 without the wave form is a madness going to cut piece by piece, but definitely this evening I'll try! Today I also tried to change the location to my microphone. Having a cab 1x1 meters wide and 2 meters high by deadening inside I think I have good acoustics, I also reflexion and a pop filter. So I should have it all, but someone would be able to elencarmi some tips for the microphone position, angle, distance of the pop filter, and the distance from the filter pop singer? I see, however, that already holding 5-10 centimeters below the mouth softens lot sibilance. There are maybe pop filters special or better than others?

Thank you soo much Byron! =D>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:23 pm 
Ranch Hand

If having the mic 5cm-10cm just below the mouth softens it as you say, then you`ve cracked it, leave it there, try to not get too hung up on very small details, once your happy with it leave it.
Having a good sounding space to record your vocals in is more important than a dead space, if it`s too dead the vocal will sound dead, if it`s too lively then...I think you get the idea.
Try to go for a mix between the two, I know someone who built a vocal booth and it was an excellent piece of work, looked like one from Abbey Road Studios, the business, but...it made the vocals sound dead, too much foam just worked against what he was trying to achieve, so he started taking foam off from certain areas and pride of place above the vocalist position a nice fancy looking ceramic tile, like the ones in your bathroom, to liven the vocal up a bit, I`ve recorded quite a few times there for various projects he was doing and now it sounds excellent.
A crappy mic will sound good in a good space, a good mic will sound crap in a crappy space.
Hope this helps a little,good luck.

https://tmacmusic12.wixsite.com/tmac

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac